Mikel Arteta: Blinded By The Lights

What does Mikel need to do to keep his job in your opinion?

• Total voters

Tree Points

Arteta is criticised when he loses and should be praised when he wins.

His team have just scored 7 and conceded 0 goals in two matches. Both were potentially tricky games.

So I think you need to give him a 10 year contract now.

Makingtrax

Planes, Trains & Social Media Rants
I don't think we have a terrible squad, should be 6th even with it's flaws.

But yesterday a lot were saying pre game that it's just Slavia Prague, they're a weaker side and people shouldn't be jumping back on the Arteta bandwagon if we beat them.

I think that's fair enough analysis.

On the same hand dicking Slavia Prague 4-0 isn't evidence that there's 'Nothing wrong with our squad' either. We hammered a pretty poor side. There are still some pretty obvious flaws in our squad that need to be addressed to make us a top 4 threat and better, I feel.
Slavia Prague looked poor because we played so well. Lets not forget they not only have an incredible home record of no defeats in 2years but have dumped Rangers and Leicester out of the same competition.

I still think our squad is a lot better than West Ham’s.

Makingtrax

His team have just scored 7 and conceded 0 goals in two matches. Both were potentially tricky games.

You’re right to some extent but after a while you realise that amounts in ‘inconsistency’ and that’s your enemy if you want to perform above your investment position.

APierre

You Wanna Come Out Here?

Hahahahahahahaha! Excellent!

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately
Trusted ✔️
So picture the scene.

Arteta gets us over the line in the Europa League, winning the next three games regardless of how that comes about.

What does that mean for his immediate future for you, does it change any current position you hold on his stay at the club?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ✔️
Starting Pepe and not starting Martinelli was the correct move, so well done to him. On hindsight his management of Pepe will look extremely foolish, but today is not the day to criticize that.

Then he subbed Cedric and Elneny to remind everyone it was a broken clock moment.
The point is nobody has a problem whether he starts Martinelli or Pepe. Both are the right choice because they both have the ability to run and score. Martinelli came on and basically almost scored by himself.

The problem is starting Willian and Auba over those 2 players on the left. It should never happen.

Its Pepe, Martinelli, ESR, Saka for the wide positions.

ESR, Ødegaard and Saka for the 10.

Auba or Laca for the CF.

That's all there is to it. It's so ****ing simple. It only gets complicated when Arteta gets in his own way and he does that far too often.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Also after last night's game, hope Arteta supporters realise that there's nothing wrong with our squad, it has a lot of potential. When he gets the selection and game plan right they become a lot better than West Ham and could easily be top 4.

With all due respect we played Slavia Prague.

This is the point I made about the majority of these players though. Ceballos can have a 10/10 against Sheffield United and then drop a 3/10 next week. Lacazette was on course to doing a similar thing in terms of overall performance last night, he was pretty poor generally speaking, especially compared to the game against Sheffield United. We have insanely inconsistent footballers across the board. You can include Pepe in that bracket, but I still think Pepe could come good playing from the left.

The bottom lines is we shouldn't be 10th, but we certainly don't have the squad to easily be top 4 either, due to the inconsistencies of some players.

Although if we had Tierney and Partey for the entire season along with ESR and Ødegaard from the start you'd have to say we'd be a lot less than 10 points behind 4th.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So picture the scene.

Arteta gets us over the line in the Europa League, winning the next three games regardless of how that comes about.

What does that mean for his immediate future for you, does it change any current position you hold on his stay at the club?

Manager wins our first European trophy and gets us back into the CL after 5 years, is there really any debate? After that you obviously give him the summer and the next season.

blrgooner

Slavia Prague looked poor because we played so well. Lets not forget they not only have an incredible home record of no defeats in 2years but have dumped Rangers and Leicester out of the same competition.

I still think our squad is a lot better than West Ham’s.
Yes. But West Ham have over performed and will very likely be only in the top 10 at best next season.
I don`t think our squad is better than City/Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool. I think we are maybe on par with Sp**s. So 5-6 is what you can expect from this squad consistently In my opinion. This doesn`t mean we "cannot" finish top 4. Just that we would need to over perform to get there.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We have a really smooth run of games now, a nice 6 day break between Everton and playing the first leg of the semi, Newcastle inbetween the semi final legs where we can rest a bunch of players. And of course if all goes well we have Brighton at home on the last day, the final of the Europa league is 3 days later.

I am of course looking at United getting through against Roma despite it not being a given, same with us against Villareal of course. But United have a pretty difficult run in after this weekend. They play -

Leeds away, first leg against Roma, Liverpool at home, second leg against Roma then Villa away, Leicester at home and their final two games are Fulham at home and Wolves away on the last day. Ole doesn't rotate an awful lot either.

Makingtrax

Yes. But West Ham have over performed and will very likely be only in the top 10 at best next season.
I don`t think our squad is better than City/Utd/Chelsea/Liverpool. I think we are maybe on par with Sp**s. So 5-6 is what you can expect from this squad consistently In my opinion. This doesn`t mean we "cannot" finish top 4. Just that we would need to over perform to get there.
We’ve never had a more expensive squad than those 4 clubs since 2004 but we did have a manager that could get in amongst them every year until our fans took up an aggressive campaign to undermine and remove him.

The last 4/5 years we’ve seen the results of that. But it doesn’t mean it can’t ever happen again. Just not as consistently as before.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We’ve never had a more expensive squad than those 4 clubs since 2004 but we did have a manager that could get in amongst them every year until our fans took up an aggressive campaign to undermine and remove him.

The last 4/5 years we’ve seen the results of that.

You're actually obsessed man. You do realise what you're saying here is complete bullshit considering those clubs mentioned had different managers every time spending the money in question on different players every couple of seasons? Whilst ours, despite having less money to spend, had the time to build a squad the way he wanted, in fact he had around 10 years to rebuild a title winning squad and completely failed. So it all evens out and we should've title challenged at least once and got past the knockout stages of the CL in said years. However we didn't, which is failure if you've been here for so long. End of story, drop it.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
We have a really smooth run of games now, a nice 6 day break between Everton and playing the first leg of the semi, Newcastle inbetween the semi final legs where we can rest a bunch of players. And of course if all goes well we have Brighton at home on the last day, the final of the Europa league is 3 days later.

I am of course looking at United getting through against Roma despite it not being a given, same with us against Villareal of course. But United have a pretty difficult run in after this weekend. They play -

Leeds away, first leg against Roma, Liverpool at home, second leg against Roma then Villa away, Leicester at home and their final two games are Fulham at home and Wolves away on the last day. Ole doesn't rotate an awful lot either.
Yeah we have a relatively easy run in, but we shouldn't look at them. We realistically only have Sp**s, Everton and staying above Leeds to worry about. I think Villa will drop off (the Grealish injury has been really unlucky for them).

Edit: I just realised that maybe you meant they have a more difficult run getting to the final and would be less 'fresh' if they were to get there.

Makingtrax

You're actually obsessed man. You do realise what you're saying here is complete bullshit considering those clubs mentioned had different managers every time spending the money in question on different players every couple of seasons? Whilst ours, despite having less money to spend, had the time to build a squad the way he wanted, in fact he had around 10 years to rebuild a title winning squad and completely failed. So it all evens out and we should've title challenged at least once and got past the knockout stages of the CL in said years. However we didn't, which is failure if you've been here for so long. End of story, drop it.
:lol: What I just said is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. You calling it bullish!t is the very reason Trump got banned on Twitter.

Tree Points

Manager wins our first European trophy and gets us back into the CL after 5 years, is there really any debate? After that you obviously give him the summer and the next season.
I don't usually agree with you but you're right here - if a manager wins you a European trophy and gets you back into the Champions League, he's done his job and deserves more time in the job.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
:lol: What I just said is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. You calling it bullish!t is the very reason Trump got banned on Twitter.

So you're saying from the CL final Wenger couldn't build a title challenging team over 10 years whilst other managers rocked up to clubs and managed to do it in 1, 2 or 3 years? Do you ever re-read what you're saying?