Mikel Arteta: Blinded By The Lights

What does Mikel need to do to keep his job in your opinion?

• Total voters

CaseUteinberger

A-M's brilliant, yet humble Xhaka-stan 😍
Sometimes you have to take stock and accept a step back before moving forward. I think people underestimate what a big job it is to totally change the culture and get the right squad balance. I also think people underestimate how good/competitive it is in the EPL . Im confident if we support & stick with the manager we will see improvement in consistency and in a couple of seasons be challenging top 4 again. The problem is nowadays many people have NO PATIENCE and lack the required insight or perhaps intelligence to see the bigger picture.
Agree + you should post more often! Member since 2004 and <100 posts. Just pulling your leg! 😉

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I hope the club remembers the Gazidis debacle if their plan is to let Arteta learn on the job.

Kroenke gave Gazidis the keys to the kingdom after he bungled our commercial deals and transfers for years with his incompetence.

What does he do? Put a failed structure in place then ****ed off to AC Milan and left us in the mud.

A word to the wise is enough.

AberGooner

Trusted ✔️
Yep having Willian on £220k a week could really turn into another Kola/Mustafi/Sokratis situation where we are trying to pay off his contract the last year. The longer it goes on with him producing little then Arteta will be forced to give up on him when you've got the like of Saka and Pepe offering far more. Even Martinelli has offered more in limited minutes since he came back. It's really only the Fulham game that you can say Willian has played really well in.

El Duderino

99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One
Trusted ✔️
100k a week plus a fat signing bonus which balances out to 220k.

Not exactly a lie is it :lol:

Even if the base wage is 100k, that's just too much for a player of his age and profile. Specially when he had Pepe, Nelson, Saka (later when moved to the right) as options for RW.

Imagine paying 200k a week for a rotational player or thinking that he'd be better or have more upside than Nico.

El Duderino

Trusted ✔️
The point is: We can't have players like him and Cedric on high wages. Soares has not been as bad as Willian, but that's 70k on a player that will be impossible to move if his legs go. We need to do better than this.

A younger option to Soares, on lower wages, would at least give us a chance to move said hypothetical player on, something that just won't happen to neither Cedric or Willian. They'll be here until the end of their contracts.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Even if the base wage is 100k, that's just too much for a player of his age and profile. Specially when he had Pepe, Nelson, Saka (later when moved to the right) as options for RW.

Imagine paying 200k a week for a rotational player or thinking that he'd be better or have more upside than Nico.

100k a week for willian at the time was excellent business, coming off the season he had nobody can deny that. Hindsight is wonderful but I actively dislike people who simply use hindsight on a constant basis when players don't perform.

Like at the time it was a good deal, end of story, not a reason to lambast the club and Arteta.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The point is: We can't have players like him and Cedric on high wages. Soares has not been as bad as Willian, but that's 70k on a player that will be impossible to move if his legs go. We need to do better than this.

A younger option to Soares, on lower wages, would at least give us a chance to move said hypothetical player on, something that just won't happen to neither Cedric or Willian. They'll be here until the end of their contracts.

Tell me what is wrong with having Cedric as backup to a starting right back for 4 years?

El Duderino

Trusted ✔️
100k a week for willian at the time was excellent business, coming off the season he had nobody can deny that. Hindsight is wonderful but I actively dislike people who simply use hindsight on a constant basis when players don't perform.

Like at the time it was a good deal, end of story, not a reason to lambast the club and Arteta.

No it wasn't, literally 99% of the fan base were against it. Of course it's a reason to criticize the club, the writing was on the wall there and we still pushed through and now are stuck with him.

There's a reason why Chelsea and other clubs did not want to give him a 3 year contract and we were the only suckers that did.

El Duderino

Trusted ✔️
Tell me what is wrong with having Cedric as backup to a starting right back for 4 years?

Because as an asset he has little to no value if his legs go in two years time. He'll be on 70k a week, with a year left on his deal and we'll be in the same situation we are with Willian, Kola and were with Mustafi and Sokratis. We can't as a club keep making the same mistakes, here.

9/10 players we sign need to be able to move on if things don't work out. Squad turnover has been a huge issue at Arsenal for the past decade and a half and we just can't seem to learn from it.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
No it wasn't, literally 99% of the fan base were against it. Of course it's a reason to criticize the club, the writing was on the wall there and we still pushed through and now are stuck with him.

There's a reason why Chelsea and other clubs did not want to give him a 3 year contract and we were the only suckers that did.

Absolute load of tosh. The only thing that people were against was the 3 year deal, and that's the only way we couldve got him. As a player and coming off the season he had for Chelsea nobody can deny it was a good addition to the squad. End of story bro, look at the season he had for Chelsea and tell me its a **** signing at the time. You cant.

As for Cedric it's different to the players you mentioned due to Cedric being a competent backup at full back. Mustafi isn't a competent anything.

Let's be real you'll just say anything to bash Arteta and the club because you have an agenda. Why not just chill out, support the club, stop being a poo bag.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ✔️
To me when it comes to Willian, I was mildly pro the signing at the time. My gripe was more with the contract length than anything.

At the time we signed Willian we did need a more experienced wide man / AM. Who were our options there? We didn't have a real 10 in the squad. There was a real lack of experience in the squad in terms of wide men. Saka, Nelson were both kids. Ødegaard wasn't here. Pepe lacked experience / consistency. ESR was injured / not considered anything more than a promising kid. Martinelli was a kid with a long term injury. All kids apart from Pepe who was still a developing player himself. Experience was needed.

Adding a high quality, PL experienced player like Willian to the mix did make sense at the time, I'd strongly argue.

It's fair to criticise Arteta for signing him in hindsight and Willian for his performances. He's been underwhelming overall, but not awful. That's my issue.

People massaging his signing on fee into his wages to make it look worse and saying some of his assists aren't 'real' because they were easy passes is where it gets silly and agenda driven.

Every decent player gets a big signing on fee when they move on a free. Most don't get it added into their weekly wage by the fans.

I could also go through Özil, Fabregas' and Cazorla's assists and start knocking off any simple passes off their record, but that would be ridiculous, the same way it should be for Willian.

El Duderino

Trusted ✔️
Absolute load of tosh. The only thing that people were against was the 3 year deal, and that's the only way we couldve got him. As a player and coming off the season he had for Chelsea nobody can deny it was a good addition to the squad. End of story bro, look at the season he had for Chelsea and tell me its a **** signing at the time. You cant.

As for Cedric it's different to the players you mentioned due to Cedric being a competent backup at full back. Mustafi isn't a competent anything.

Let's be real you'll just say anything to bash Arteta and the club because you have an agenda. Why not just chill out, support the club, stop being a poo bag.

I can tell you it would be a **** signing because every sign pointed it to being a **** signing. No matter how you dress it up, giving him a 3 year deal on whatever the wages was a bad call, hindsight or not. When Chelsea dug their heels in about the contract length, it was just confirmation for me and for me others.

FInally, I'm the one of first ones praising him when he gets it right after a win in this thread and to infer that I'm not supporting the club is actually quite laughable. I was even defending him when the stuff from The Sun came out that he'd lost the dressing room :lol:

But yeah, you'll ignore all that like you usually do. Hey, at least you're stoping at "poo bag" now, would hate to see you go into your passive agressive mode and get banned again.