Mikel Arteta: Blinded By The Lights

What does Mikel need to do to keep his job in your opinion?

• Total voters

Trilly

Full-Time Respecter Of Women
Trusted ✔️
Your argument about extra games as opportunity for fringe and youth players is probably the clincher. There is a good chance 7th place in PL will get EL for next season, but I definitely wouldn't feel good witb any further step down, into that new third tier European competition.
Yeah being in the Europa conference league would be so embarrassing. The worst part is that winning it only gives you access to the EL. Horrible.

mirrorstare

UECL is where is at, easy European glory for Mikel to leave a true mark on this club before moving on to the top clubs and waste tons of money

14Henry

Absolute load of tosh. The only thing that people were against was the 3 year deal, and that's the only way we couldve got him. As a player and coming off the season he had for Chelsea nobody can deny it was a good addition to the squad. End of story bro, look at the season he had for Chelsea and tell me its a **** signing at the time. You cant.

As for Cedric it's different to the players you mentioned due to Cedric being a competent backup at full back. Mustafi isn't a competent anything.

Let's be real you'll just say anything to bash Arteta and the club because you have an agenda. Why not just chill out, support the club, stop being a poo bag.
Willian on a 3 year deal was ridiculous. Whatever way you want to look at it having a 32 year old who was past his best and handing him a very big contract was wrong. A lot of fans on here thought it was wrong. The majority said 2 years acceptable 3 no.

So if people were saying it was wrong based on 3 years then it means they were saying the deal was wrong. Simple.

Willian deal has been a terrible deal. People called it before. When nobody else in world football offers a 32 year old a 3 year contract there's a reason. He basically left the club that made him because they only offered him a 2 year deal for a rival for 3. If that doesn't tell you all about the man I don't know what does.

This isn't hindsight. This was called the minute it was talked about in summer. It was a wrong decision and it's simple as that. It's been proven.

Cedric at 29 I don't have so much of a problem with. He has 2 or 3 years left of decent football and isn't on 150-200k a week.

Blankety Blank

The assist thing is silly, tbh. Yeah, KT did a lot of the work for one of them, as did Auba... but Lacazette made his last goal and it was a simple pass from Nico. If you're counting one, you have to count the others imo.

What bugs me with Willian is he doesn't really pass the eye test. He's had two games where he looked the part, Fullham and Leicester, but those were the exceptions to the rule of him being mediocre at best..

They way he's been playing is just not what the team needs, he doesn't run, is not really taking on players... Big L for the club.
I agree he has been poor. Every club makes signings that turn out disappointing tho. Look at the Alexis Man U got on 350k a week compared to the one we saw here! Willian has been poor but still produced way more than Özil did in his last 18 months.
Agree + you should post more often! Member since 2004 and <100 posts. Just pulling your leg! 😉
Thanks that's very kind of you to say.
tbh i find the quality of debate & posting on here pretty disappointing. Far too many shouty reactionary types and unfortunately not enough considered opinion imho. Its a shame as it is the biggest Arsenal forum. I know there are some very good & thoughtful posters but they seem to be a minority.
I know the nature of the social media beast is that people like to vent & offload & there is nothing wrong with passion but the bar seems to get lower. Some of the hate directed at both players & managers is embarrassing from our 'supporters'
I take a look at other club sites and while they all have lots of low brow stuff i find this site worse than most tbh.
Perhaps i expect too much from Arsenal fans? I just want us to be better and behave with decency & class.

Hunta

Shivering Right Now
Trusted ✔️
Biggest game of his Arsenal stint tomorrow?

Chance to close the gap on Sp**s and Everton whilst Leeds and Villa are ready to pounce.

Blankety Blank

Woah. This is news to me, I always thought the Willian deal was near enough universally not wanted by our fanbase. Even opposition fans were in unison at how bad a deal it was going to be. Only dissenting voices seemed to be from Chelsea fans that had a soft spot for him because he'd been at the club for 7 years.

Even without the figures involved I've always seen Willian as a nothing player. He's had a number of terrible, terrible joke seasons for Chelsea and even his "best" seasons haven't been all that to write home about.
I agree he has been poor.
He has never been a spectacular player that stood out but with the greatest respect you do not earn 70 caps for Brazil especially as an attacker with all their talent & spend years at Chelsea in one of their most successful periods if you are nothing. 🥱

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Why’s Willian being focused on at this point of the season?

The likes of me and @GDeep™ knew he was a washed up *** from early doors whilst cucks like @HairSprayGooners were praising the signing, it was if we signed a prime Kaka the way some were acting.

I remember a lot fans on here and Twitter were thinking that Arteta was going to unlock some hidden potential in Willian at the age of 32 and play him in the number 10 role.

:lol::lol:

You cant have known he was a washed up *** based on his last season. I mean if you did then it shows how terrible your football knowledge is.

Riou

Gatekeeper Of Mediocrity
If I was Arteta, I probably would have signed Willian on a free too tbh...depending on his wage.

Willian was pretty good for Chelsea last season, that player would have been a fine player to have in the squad...a squad that at the time didn't have Ødegaard, was trying to get Özil to leave and had ESR/Gabby injured for quite a while.

The issue was how many matches he started, after Fulham he was poor for what felt like a whole season before Arteta dropped him, that's where Mikel ****ed up.

GDeep™

Cute and Clever
If I was Arteta, I probably woudl have signed Willian on a free too tbh...depending on his wage.

Willian was pretty good for Chelsea last season, that player would have been a fine player to have in the squad...a squad that at the time didn't have Ödegaard, was trying to get Özil to leave and had ESR injured.

The issue was how many matches he started, after Fulham he was poor for what felt like a whole season before Arteta dropped him, that's where Mikel ****ed up.
He’s not free though. You pay a sign on fee, you pay a wage and you give a 3 year contract. That’s a massive outlay for a washed up player, from a club with financial issues.

The only positive here is that Arteta and Edu will now be reluctant to sign old trash again from rival clubs looking for a retirement home.

14Henry

If I was Arteta, I probably woudl have signed Willian on a free too tbh...depending on his wage.

Willian was pretty good for Chelsea last season, that player would have been a fine player to have in the squad...a squad that at the time didn't have Ödegaard, was trying to get Özil to leave and had ESR/Gabby injured.

Nobody is complaining so much about the free transfer. Its the number of years we have to pay him a guaranteed salary way above the salary a squad player should get.

Plus as I said above. The club that makes you the household name. The club you spent something like 7 years with. The club you had the best season ever supposedly with the year before. The club that is signing top players and playing in the CL and really wants to kick on with you part of the project offers you a 2 year deal and you give all that up to sign for a rival who is mid table going nowhere fast and playing Thursday night football for 1 extra years contract. If I'm Arteta and Arsenal that tells me all I need to know about the man.

14Henry

polarizing manager but like it or not he's here to stay for awhile , the dynasty is on its way brace yourselves lads
He won't be here to stay if he gets dumped out by Emery and finishes 10th. He may unjustifiably get another few months next season but I dare say unless he is sitting pretty in the top 4/5 next season from the get go he will be given his marching orders.

This is an Arsenal project. Not an Arteta project. And if the coach isn't helping to progress that project by getting wins then the project is destined for failure.