• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

ChefMan21

Does sacking him actually change anything? Our squad is hopeless, our recruitment is hit and miss, and we spend huge dollars on the wrong players when we have other pressing issues (like £70m on Pepe when we desperately needed a top defender instead - the club, supporters of the signing, even tried to convince us that his attack would improve our defence. Hint: it didnt).

Sacking him will do jack **** imo. We either need to recruit young and build, get new owners, or get a lot smarter about what we do. In fact, do all of that.

Sacking Wenger was meant to change everything. It didn't. Sacking Emery was meant to change everything. It didn't. Going to go out on a limb and say sacking Arteta is likely to be as effective as our previous method.

Iceman10

Established Member
Does sacking him actually change anything? Our squad is hopeless, our recruitment is hit and miss, and we spend huge dollars on the wrong players when we have other pressing issues (like £70m on Pepe when we desperately needed a top defender instead - the club, supporters of the signing, even tried to convince us that his attack would improve our defence. Hint: it didnt).

Sacking him will do jack **** imo. We either need to recruit young and build, get new owners, or get a lot smarter about what we do. In fact, do all of that.

Sacking Wenger was meant to change everything. It didn't. Sacking Emery was meant to change everything. It didn't. Going to go out on a limb and say sacking Arteta is likely to be as effective as our previous method.
Man, idiotic comments like this are going to keep pulling me into this thread when there is really nothing of intellectual substance to defend Mikel anymore. Do you have the attention span of a gnat, already forgetting the numerous selection, tactics, subs ridiculous decisions over the two legs against Villareal? They are quite typical of why we've dropped so many points in the PL this season. Pull yourself together, this is not a hard decision. The only reason this thread has to keep going is because our owners don't know anything about football, and so we have the blind leading the blind at the club.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

There are two types of people in the world. Those who accept mediocrity and those who strive to always be better no matter how many times they fail. There is no limit to how many managers you can sack. Sack Arteta, then if the next guy don’t show clear improvement sack him as well and we continue until the world ends.

Iceman10

Established Member
There are two types of people in the world. Those who accept mediocrity and those who strive to always be better no matter how many times they fail. There is no limit to how many managers you can sack. Sack Arteta, then if the next guy don’t show clear improvement sack him as well and we continue until the world ends.
We probably do need to look at 2+1 contracts, no matter how desperate we are for a target and allow for possible termination after 12 months. It is quite possible we are still two managers away from finding the right one, especially based on us having no European football for next season, with pulling power affected as a result.

ChefMan21

Man, idiotic comments like this are going to keep pulling me into this thread when there is really nothing of intellectual substance to defend Mikel anymore. Do you have the attention span of a gnat, already forgetting the numerous selection, tactics, subs ridiculous decisions over the two legs against Villareal? They are quite typical of why we've dropped so many points in the PL this season. Pull yourself together, this is not a hard decision. The only reason this thread has to keep going is because our owners don't know anything about football, and so we have the blind leading the blind at the club.
Fine, sack him, don't blame me if nothing changes because the miracle didn't happen and we continue with the same old thinking. You can own the decision - I honestly don't think any manager out there is that good out there to fix the dross we've dished up the last few years.

Iceman10

Established Member
Fine, sack him, don't blame me if nothing changes because the miracle didn't happen and we continue with the same old thinking. You can own the decision - I honestly don't think any manager out there is that good out there to fix the dross we've dished up the last few years.
What is this response? You have not addressed selections, game plans, tactics, in-match management, etc. at all. Do you honestly believe none of that has significant impact on results as a whole, which in turn cost the club tens of millions? As I said, it was there for all to see across the two legs against Villareal.

ChefMan21

Or we're relegated.

Sacking is papering over cracks imo.

ChefMan21

What is this response? You have not addressed selections, game plans, tactics, in-match management, etc. at all. Do you honestly believe none of that has significant impact on results as a whole, which in turn cost the club tens of millions? As I said, it was there for all to see across the two legs against Villareal.
What response do you want? I'm afraid I don't have the time to get bogged down in what happened at the 28th minute of our 12th game of the season involving X, and then apply that to 67:34 in our 28th game of the season where Y happened, and then try to work out if X and Y does equal Z, or if we've gone down the path of confirmation bias instead. I'll just stick with the general point that we've gone Wenger, Emery, (Ljunberg) and Arteta, with no real improvement and, in fact, a steady walk backwards to the point where we're no longer a European club.

Putting so much stock in managers and their sacking to me is a ridiculous approach to managing a football club. Look at owners, look at how we generate revenue, look at scouting, look at injuries, look at culture within the team and club, look at how we recruit even janitors, look at managers, look at it all. Then we might get somewhere.

Iceman10

Established Member
What response do you want? I'm afraid I don't have the time to get bogged down in what happened at the 28th minute of our 12th game of the season involving X, and then apply that to 67:34 in our 28th game of the season where Y happened, and then try to work out if X and Y does equal Z, or if we've gone down the path of confirmation bias instead. I'll just stick with the general point that we've gone Wenger, Emery, (Ljunberg) and Arteta, with no real improvement and, in fact, a steady walk backwards to the point where we're no longer a European club.

Putting so much stock in managers and their sacking to me is a ridiculous approach to managing a football club. Look at owners, look at how we generate revenue, look at scouting, look at injuries, look at culture within the team and club, look at how we recruit even janitors, look at managers, look at it all. Then we might get somewhere.
You don't want to get "dragged down" into details because you know if/when you try responding you will make yourself look ridiculous. Anyway, I see above you are bringing relegation into the discussion, so I can see where the moving goalposts are going, but truth is your position and mindset is fringe at this point, so I won't go further. My main point actually was to reset things here a little to remind others of the indefensible across these two legs against Villareal, as a lot that Arteta did perfectly encapsulated why our PL table position is so low. I saw over the previous 2-3 pages that had been distracted a bit from due to people responding to abstract stuff from "teamsouthwest".

ChefMan21

You don't want to get "dragged down" because you know if/when you try responding you will make yourself look ridiculous. Anyway, I see above you are bringing relegation into the discussion, so I can see where the moving goalposts are going, but truth is your position and mindset is fringe at this point, so I won't go further. My main point actually was to reset things here a little to remind others of the indefensible across these two legs against Villareal, as a lot that Arteta did perfectly encapsulated why our PL table position is so low. I saw over the previous 2-3 pages that had been distracted a bit from due to people responding to abstract stuff from "teamsouthwest".
Ahhh.. the arbiter of truth and accuracy are you? Not sure people need to be reminded of what happened in that game, but they can have alternative views to you, and I think sacking a manager is taking a shortcut that doesn't actually address the problems we have - which, I'm happy to remind you since that's apparently a 'thing', was the point of my original post.

Iceman10

Established Member
Ahhh.. the arbiter of truth and accuracy are you? Not sure people need to be reminded of what happened in that game, but they can have alternative views to you, and I think sacking a manager is taking a shortcut that doesn't actually address the problems we have - which, I'm happy to remind you since that's apparently a 'thing', was the point of my original post.
Yeah right. So you can explain a false nine used for the first time, Xhaka at LB to directly face off against their main attacking threat, Ceballos left on when everyone was screaming to take him of, etc. This is not being arbiter of truth. These are all indispurable facts you are in avoidance of. I'm barely scratching the surface and this is just getting started with the first leg, let alone things like misuse of assets such as Martinelli. If you want to dare taking me on on any of this please go right ahead, and I will do sledgehammer to crack a nut if I have to.

By all means continue on witb your disingenuous waffle where you clearly want to avoid substance. All you are showing is a high likelihood you know very little about football, maybe only how to do political BS.

Wiggins

Without Arteta we'd EASILY be 10 pts higher up the table, right now. The guy is totally clueless.

In 2018/19 under Emery we finished on 70 pts barely short of 3rd place. Currently we're on 49. Does anyone actually think we'll finish with 70 pts this season? We won't even manage 60 I'm sure. We finished with 56 pts last season.

That's ALL on Arteta. Had we not sacked Emery we'd have finished about the same, likely higher. Arteta had no effect at all short of destroying our offence completely.

Last edited:

Arsenal1508

Mods are unethical! Özil, come assist me please!

Look - just look at our style of play. That enough is sackable. Not only don't we win, but we play piss poor style.

You wouldn't be talking about Kroenke if Arteta was winning. Fact is, Arteta controls the decisions about lineup, tactics, transfers, and player contract renewals. He has proved a failure in all.

He is the wrong man for the job. If any manager would be in same position, then why not go one that has pedigree and style not boring. Teta was a dull player and translated into a dull manager. Basically, his role model is to be like Simeone, but light years away.

There is no Guardiola influence there. Just a brown noser who was lucky to be given the job. He also has no shame as a former captain. Gives your 50% of the truth, which means 50% is lies.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We probably do need to look at 2+1 contracts, no matter how desperate we are for a target and allow for possible termination after 12 months. It is quite possible we are still two managers away from finding the right one, especially based on us having no European football for next season, with pulling power affected as a result.
Fully agree. But you need strong management to offer managers shorter contract. Tuchel was 18 month deal by Chelsea. We gave Arteta 3.5 years and we wanted to extend after his early start. If a rookie like Arteta got that length of the deal and they agreed out of fear of not getting him. Then we are screwed

ChefMan21

Yeah right. So you can explain a false nine used for the first time, Xhaka at LB to directly face off against their main attacking threat, Ceballos left on when everyone was screaming to take him of, etc. This is not being arbiter of truth. These are all indispurable facts you are in avoidance of. I'm barely scratching the surface and this is just getting started with the first leg, let alone things like misuse of assets such as Martinelli. If you want to dare taking me on on any of this please go right ahead, and I will do sledgehammer to crack a nut if I have to.

By all means continue on witb your disingenuous waffle where you clearly want to avoid substance. All you are showing is a high likelihood you know very little about football, maybe only how to do political BS.
Again, making a broader point - sacking a manager (could be Bob the greengrocer for all I care) doesn't fix everything. I don't actually disagree with you on the Villareal stuff - you went straight to meltdown rather than taking a deep breath first, great if you can point out where I said you were wrong on Villareal - what I disagree with you on is the notion that sacking a manager gets us near or back to where we were when Arsenal was at its best fairly quickly. We haven't been in the Champions League for years. Our squad and recruitment is ****. We're so injury prone we're like a hospital. Our owners are taking us for a ride. Is the clubs culture that good? How's our revenue base - are we keeping up with big clubs? How does the public view us - with fondness or ridicule thinking we could be part of the ESL. As it stands, we're a rich Aston Villa...

Iceman10

Established Member
Again, making a broader point - sacking a manager (could be Bob the greengrocer for all I care) doesn't fix everything. I don't actually disagree with you on the Villareal stuff - you went straight to meltdown rather than taking a deep breath first, great if you can point out where I said you were wrong on Villareal - what I disagree with you on is the notion that sacking a manager gets us near or back to where we were when Arsenal was at its best fairly quickly. We haven't been in the Champions League for years. Our squad and recruitment is ****. We're so injury prone we're like a hospital. Our owners are taking us for a ride. Is the clubs culture that good? How's our revenue base - are we keeping up with big clubs? How does the public view us - with fondness or ridicule thinking we could be part of the ESL. As it stands, we're a rich Aston Villa...
More waffle avoiding substance. I slightly move. It is not likely, but instead probable, that you know very little about football. I was actually being kind to you witb tough love, trying to stop you from doubling down and going down a path that would not be good for you. I only got started with details in my last comment. As you don't want to take on, or pretend to yourself they don't matter, there is nothing more to discuss.

ChefMan21

More waffle avoiding substance. I slightly move. It is not likely, but instead probable, that you know very little about football. I was actually being kind to you witb tough love, trying to stop you from doubling down and going down a path that would not be good for you. I only got started with details in my last comment. As you don't want to take on, or pretend to yourself they don't matter, there is nothing more to discuss.
Oh right, no substance. I'm actually stunned that an Arsenal fan doesn't want a root and branch review of how the hell Arsenal got into this position but instead goes straight to 'sack Arteta'. The ESL debacle alone is enough for that review; the years of decline and our current issues are just icing on the cake. Not sure you're actually serious about the club tbh.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom