• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Not to defend Arteta because I think he's incompetent, but judging from our shared appreciation of data and figures I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your background is something to do with numbers? analytics?

Surely you can understand the rationale of backing the horse with more history? granted our GK staff seeked Runarsson so I am not naive in that these guys have questionable judgement but still.

If Wenger got rid of Martinez instead of Leno @Makingtrax would defend him. It's just the way the kid works. Analytics and data only matter if it fits his opinion, sadly.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We seemed to start last season pressing very well and as the season progressed it got less and less existant. Don't know if it's anything to do with our fitness. Seem to remember Luiz saying the squad needed to really work on that after we beat United pre lockdown.
Look at Bielsa’s intensity, no wonder they performed so much above their investment position. The only worry about these really high pressure teams is their burnout rate. Can they keep up another season like it? Fantastic to watch though. Would swap Bielsa for Arteta in a heartbeat for all that attacking swagger, like Arsène.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
The Athletics analysis of pressing shows how poor we were last season. All the top teams above us.

74536-ADC-EDE8-4008-B510-CAD9057-DC8-EC.jpg
Wenger had us at 9.1 PPDA in his last season ( City at 8.5 in 17/18). Pretty decent for a manager who didn't do tactics.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If Wenger got rid of Martinez instead of Leno @Makingtrax would defend him. It's just the way the kid works. Analytics and data only matter if it fits his opinion, sadly.
Whilst Trax is notoriously a broken record for all things Wenger and squad cost I've always found him reasonable tbh. We're all having decent discussion lets drop out the digs.

You raised a good point of us trying to press more in pre season - this data whilst insightful isn't the law.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Whilst Trax is notoriously a broken record for all things Wenger and squad cost I've always found him reasonable tbh. We're all having decent discussion lets drop out the digs.

You raised a good point of us trying to press more in pre season - this data whilst insightful isn't the law.

I think that Arteta is getting a good pre season to actually implement things properly. Very difficult when you've got two games a week to properly implement what you want.

If we can press better for the entire season we'll do well. The problem last season was some games we were bang on it with the pressing. Others not so much. Everyone needs to buy into it for it to actually work.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

That’s the difference between you and @Macho, he could see the stats and appreciate them for what they were, even though he‘d backed Leno. No lashing out, no agenda, just a reasonable conservation between 2 people interested in football.

You on the other hand would tell us that continual top 4 was mediocre and a guy who’s been 8th twice is better because some day he might win the league. Can you even see how stupid that sounds? :lol:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
That’s the difference between you and @Macho, he could see the stats and appreciate them for what they were, even though he‘d backed Leno. No lashing out, no agenda, just a reasonable conservation between 2 people interested in football.

You on the other hand would tell us that continual top 4 was boring and a guy who’s been 8th twice is better because some day he might win the league. Can you even see how stupid that sounds? :lol:

What you posted in terms of keepers just does not interest me at all. People have this thing with Martinez, he isnt an Arsenal player anymore. It needs to be gotten over ASAP.

No matter what the stats say everyone knows Leno is a good goalkeeper. I'd be intrigued to see the same stats from all seasons Leno has been here. Just to see if there's any correlation. The eye test is far more important than stats especially for keepers and defenders.

To your last paragraph think you know I wouldn't do that. You cant go from calling me every name under the sun the other day, to now sitting on a high horse and comparing me to other posters.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Not to defend Arteta because I think he's incompetent, but judging from our shared appreciation of data and figures I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess your background is something to do with numbers? analytics?

Surely you can understand the rationale of backing the horse with more history? granted our GK staff seeked Runarsson so I am not naive in that these guys have questionable judgement but still.
I do analyse figures in my scientific research but I’m not a statistician by any means.

To be honest as far as ‘history’ goes I’ve never seen much of Emi, he’s either had the odd game here and there or been out on loan at lower sides until those 9 games last season. His save % has been impressive when he’s had a good run though. End of last season 79%, Wolves 77% , Reading 76%. Not sure this was a bolt from the blue. Arsène certainly liked him otherwise he would have been shipped out.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I do analyse figures in my scientific research but I’m not a statistician by any means.

To be honest as far as ‘history’ goes I’ve never seen much of Emi, he’s either had the odd game here and there or been out on loan at lower sides until those 9 games last season. His save % has been impressive when he’s had a good run though. End of last season 79%, Wolves 77% , Reading 76%. Not sure this was a bolt from the blue. Arsène certainly liked him otherwise he would have been shipped out.
Fwiw, I am of the belief that if Leno had an offer at the time and Martinez didn't we probably would have sold him instead. The coaches worked with both everyday I am sure there wasn't a lot between them in training.

I think the club were desperate for money and not concerned about having Leno as #1 unlike a lot of our fanbase. I have nothing to prove this though just my gut feeling.

A bit alarming that AM penned Martinez as the better keeper and the guys at Colney didn't though.

Iwobeast

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Look at Bielsa’s intensity, no wonder they performed so much above their investment position. The only worry about these really high pressure teams is their burnout rate. Can they keep up another season like it? Fantastic to watch though. Would swap Bielsa for Arteta in a heartbeat for all that attacking swagger, like Arsène.

Will be interesting to see whether this high energy pressure football can last for multiple seasons in a row. Could be possible that this kind of football takes a huge physical toll on players.

Liverpool really struggled last season, and it seems like players like Mane are regressing a lot sooner, you start to wonder if this heavy metal football of Klopp for 3 years has taken its toll on his players.

I think all that’s fair. Martinez also had15 clean sheets to Leon’s 11 and had the highest save % in the league at 74.6%. Considering all stats Martinez was probably the best keeper in the EPL last season. Those small margins could have made a difference to Mikel’s position in the league, Martinez being one of the main reasons our season ending was so good last year.

But managers are judged by these kind of decisions they make.
Isn't he a boyhood fan? Time to accept our mistakes and buy him back!

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I haven't been in this thread so long, don't know what I was thinking expecting HSG and Trax to not be at it.

• Funny
Reactions: Xln

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Yeah Bielsa is great, Well as long as you arent arsed about silverware and running your players into the ground 😂 👌.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Yeah Bielsa is great, Well as long as you arent arsed about silverware and running your players into the ground 😂 👌.
The Leeds squad only cost £120m, 17th for investment but finished 9th. Thats 8 places above their investment position. An excellent overperformance.

The Arsenal squad cost £450m, investing 5th but finished 8th. That's 3 places below their investment position.

I'd say we'd have a good chance of silverware with Bielsa instead of Arteta. But more importantly the football would be a lot better than the 'dull' stuff served up last year.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The Leeds squad only cost £120m, 17th for investment but finished 9th. Thats 8 places above their investment position. An excellent overperformance.

The Arsenal squad cost £450m, investing 5th but finished 8th. That's 3 places below their investment position.

I'd say we'd have a good chance of silverware with Bielsa instead of Arteta. But more importantly the football would be a lot better than the 'dull' stuff served up last year.

This is where you don't take other things into consideration.

Biesla has a lot "nobodies" on low wages doing the dog work for him and they do it because they aren't superstars.

You really think Biesla would get our overpaid dross playing like that. This is why Arteta is investing in younger hungrier players now.

Top Bottom