• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

GunnerShy

Mate... Our attacking play has been largely dreadful all season. We've a £180m front three and cannot buy a second goal most weeks.
This is all fair enough, but it completely blows your squad cost argument out the water. West Ham are 4th with 7 games left and Chelsea to play at home. I also don't think its fair to put the full blame of Auba's form on Arteta. Before he signed his bumper contract he was firing for Arteta, afterwards its like he's taken a back seat. He doesn't look as if he wants to pull this team through despite being the captain. I see top players dig in when the going gets tough, work hard and ultimately play themselves into form, but Auba has some what downed tools and thrown his toys out the pram multiple times this season. Alexis vibes where he would throw his arms up in the air.

You can't fully blame the manager for one guys personal performances but then never think about crediting him for performances from Saka and such. It just doesn't work like that. There needs to be some consistency on here with what people say, it only seems to suit if it fits your agenda.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This is all fair enough, but it completely blows your squad cost argument out the water. West Ham are 4th with 7 games left and Chelsea to play at home. I also don't think its fair to put the full blame of Auba's form on Arteta. Before he signed his bumper contract he was firing for Arteta, afterwards its like he's taken a back seat. He doesn't look as if he wants to pull this team through despite being the captain. I see top players dig in when the going gets tough, work hard and ultimately play themselves into form, but Auba has some what downed tools and thrown his toys out the pram multiple times this season. Alexis vibes where he would throw his arms up in the air.

You can't fully blame the manager for one guys personal performances but then never think about crediting him for performances from Saka and such. It just doesn't work like that. There needs to be some consistency on here with what people say, it only seems to suit if it fits your agenda.
:lol: I don’t think it does blow the squad cost argument. I predicted the top 8 based on the investment in their squads early on in the season. 7 of them are there. The only one missing is Arsenal because West Ham have taken their place. And we all know why that is: one has badly underperformed and the other has over performed. That’s what can happen even if it isn’t the norm.
Arsenal's True Spending Position: There is no top 6

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Mate... Our attacking play has been largely dreadful all season. We've a £180m front three and cannot buy a second goal most weeks.

It has been incredibly inconsistent yes, but we have incredibly inconsistent footballers, the ones who are consistent are the ones that have done the best for us this season. Go figure.

If finishing 3rd and 4th on a shoe string budget is a banter era, then what era is this when we're having back to back midtable finishes? :lol:

I don't think you can fully grasp the point people try to make here? Banter era is harsh, but when you're consistently getting 4th, whilst then being able to spend some money (not improving on that 4th position) AND not being able to get past the knockout stages of the champions league for 7 years, it becomes stale. And in that moment we should've been pushing on to title challenge and get further in the CL, however despite spending money Arsène failed to take us higher, we stayed in the same points channel every single season, it was 5 or so years of failure and you cannot get away from that.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It has been incredibly inconsistent yes, but we have incredibly inconsistent footballers, the ones who are consistent are the ones that have done the best for us this season. Go figure.

I don't think you can fully grasp the point people try to make here? Banter era is harsh, but when you're consistently getting 4th, whilst then being able to spend some money (not improving on that 4th position) AND not being able to get past the knockout stages of the champions league for 7 years, it becomes stale. And in that moment we should've been pushing on to title challenge and get further in the CL, however despite spending money Arsène failed to take us higher, we stayed in the same points channel every single season, it was 5 or so years of failure and you cannot get away from that.
That’s was your big mistake, and all the other fans. Unless you want to wait 140 years for a freak win like Leicester, history shows us that the top 3 spending clubs have won most of the prem titles. Those spending below that like Liverpool, Arsenal and Sp**s have won very very occasionally, Liverpool once in 30 years. So continual top 4 for this type of club is pretty much their ceiling. To campaign to remove Arsène for not progressing beyond that showed a huge lack of understanding of what is achievable for our spend.

And if you get managers in that are average, you can easily slide below your investment position of 5th/6th as we are now. It’s all about understanding how football works and your odds.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
That’s was your big mistake, and all the other fans. Unless you want to wait 140 years for a freak win like Leicester, history shows us that the top 3 spending clubs have won most of the prem titles. Those spending below that like Liverpool, Arsenal and Sp**s have won very very occasionally, Liverpool once in 30 years. So continual top 4 for this type of club is pretty much their ceiling. To campaign to remove Arsène for not progressing beyond that showed a huge lack of understanding of what is achievable for our spend.

And if you get managers in that are average, you can easily slide below your investment position of 5th/6th as we are now. It’s all about understanding how football works and your odds.

You always fail to answer one question though. Why couldn't Arsène progress to challenge for a title when he started spending money? I agree with you to some extent, its fairly obvious that consistent title winners spend big money to win the league. However it is possible to build a title challenging team over 3 or 4 years spending a consistent amount of money opposed to the City/Chelsea route of spending 150-250M in a window to fix issues/improve. Its about signing the right players and also having a good manager of course. This is why I say to you you can't use it as an accurate measurement. There's far too many variables.

We only have this summer to go on with Arteta, his first summer window. But in terms of this summers spending vs current league position, of course theres still a lot of games for things to change. -

Chelsea - spent £222M - 5th
City - spent £138M - 1st
Leeds - spent £96M - 10th
Everton - spent £87M - 8th
United - spent £87M - 2nd
Villa - spent £81M - 11th
Liverpool - spent £78M - 6th
Arsenal - spent £77M - 9th

With the above in mind if Arteta were to finish 8th or above wouldn't that, going by your logic, suggest that he is in the league position that correlates with what was spent this summer?

blrgooner

Established Member
However the one good thing he has as a manager isn't something I particularly like. He is able to make it seem like success was all down to him and when we fail it seems to be down the the players.
I somehow don`t get this feeling. I think these things get discussed here but from what Arteta says, I don`t think he seems to make it seems like successes are down to him and failure is down to the players( Jose for example always sounds like he does that to me).
There is lot of discussion of that sort here though. For some people, when we are doing poorly its because of players and when we are doing well its because of the manager. For some other people when we are doing well its because of some players "carrying the team" and when we are not doing well its because of the manager.
I personally find both the arguments spurious. Over a period of 40-50 games, when a team under performs, its definitely down to the manager because he is the guy who selects the teams. When the performance is on par or if the team is overperforming also, its down to the manager though.
For me, Arteta has definitely under performed in the first half of the season and is probably on par(or slightly better than par) since Dec. Overall we have underperformed this season and that`s down to Arteta for me. That doesn`t necessarily mean that I am Arteta out though.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
He tends to take the blame after he throws the players under the bus. I just find it really odd how he surrounds himself with people who he can control. There is nobody around him who can literally take him aside and tell him truths he needs to hear. He is in a bubble. He is a young coach. He should have at least one assistant who is an old head. Pep has Brian Kidd and Ole has Mike Phelan. Even Moyes has ex managers as coaches.

Arteta has surrounded himself with 20 year old coaches who have done what exactly? What are they going to say to a 31 year old professional that is genuinely going to help him psychologically? How can they even relate?

Have your 20 year old hot shots who study the game, but you need at least 1 person who has an aura and the experience.
Isn't that what edu is suppose to be doing?

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
The W yesterday made me feel nothing. Worrying signs. Maybe the gods try to tell UTG it is time to venture inte other walks of life

Tree Points

Another annoying Manc
Isn't that what edu is suppose to be doing?
There's a very interesting podcast on Spotify run by a few Arsenal fans - they were saying that both Edu and Arteta are clueless and the entire hierachy needs ripping down and starting again.

I can't remember name of it, was a good listen run by some very knowledgable fans.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Chelsea - spent £222M - 5th
City - spent £138M - 1st
Leeds - spent £96M - 10th
Everton - spent £87M - 8th
United - spent £87M - 2nd
Villa - spent £81M - 11th
Liverpool - spent £78M - 6th
Arsenal - spent £77M - 9th

With the above in mind if Arteta were to finish 8th or above wouldn't that, going by your logic, suggest that he is in the league position that correlates with what was spent this summer?
There are only 2 clubs with a much bigger budget than us and 2-3 clubs with about the same budget (depending on where we finish or change of commercial deals).

Our club decided to heavily invest in contracts, agent fees, and similar stuff, but you guys are always coming back with the net/total transfer spending.
For every contract you waste money on, you're gonna pay for it through less net transfer investment, and this exactly what the club has done for years.

We are spending much more than the likes of WH, Everton, and Villa, but they are outperforming us on the pitch, which means, not good enough from everyone involved (not just Arteta)

TakeChillPill

Established Member
There's a very interesting podcast on Spotify run by a few Arsenal fans - they were saying that both Edu and Arteta are clueless and the entire hierachy needs ripping down and starting again.

I can't remember name of it, was a good listen run by some very knowledgable fans.
Edu reminds me of the boss, who comes in to the office once a month, smiles, asks a few questions, followed by 'keep up the good work' before going off to play a round of golf.

goldengod

Make no mistake this season has been bad, and I think there is a good case for Arteta to get sacked. If he wins the EL then he wouldn't, but what about in a situation where he does not win the EL? Is there a way that league performances could save him? I would say possibly, if we look at the final fixtures we have.

First, our run is seriously good. WBA, Newcastle, Palace, Fulham and Brighton left to play. Then just Everton and Chelsea. Obviously we shouldn't be quick to conclude that we can get 15 points from those first 5, but in reality thats what a club of Arsenal's statue should be doing. If you add to that a minimum of one draw from the Everton/Chelsea game then we'd end up on 61 points.

That's a 5 point improvement on last year. Historically that has been enough to get 6th-7th place so in normal terms would be an improvement on 8th position that we got last season. That would also represent a ppg average of 1.96 since Boxing Day (i.e., when we finally played an AM), which to put into context over the course of a season would average out to 74-75 points. Additionally, if you look at Sp**s/Everton run ins, there are a number of games they can easily slip up in. So there's a pretty good chance we could finish 7th.

IMO, if we did end this season strong and pipped 7th, then I think I would be interested in seeing what happens next year under Arteta, but make no mistake, he would need to come out of the blocks flying. If we got into bad form within the first dozen games of the season, I'd bin him instantly.

Top Bottom