• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Why wouldnt he give deals to ESR and Saka? they are young talents with potential to improve, However, they shouldnt be starting week in week out for any club looking to get top 4, too inexperienced and raw.

As for Auba listen he is 32 years old now, he's done. We gave him a contract because at that time we did not have the funds to properly replace him. We will next summer with a young and hungrier striker.

I'm not arguing whether or not giving deals to them was a good idea, obviously it was a good idea, I would've done it and I'm sure most fans would.

You said the frontline aren't his players, I'm saying he handed out contracts that prove they very much are his players. Or are you saying that Arteta needs to bring in a body in every single position before this team is his? Of course not.

As for Auba that's fluff imo, he handed him 300k+ a week you do not hand a player huge wages for three years just because we don't have funds to properly replace the player.

You do that if you believe in him, which Arteta did, Aubameyang is his striker, just because it's not worked out so far (and I don't necessarily blame Auba, but that's a different topic) doesn't mean he's suddenly not.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
This is what I think many of you get wrong, it's not a final third issue at all, it's a defensive system that will take everything out of the players and they are not sharp going forward after that. We expect Pepe and Saka to literally play full back positions and defend for 80 minutes, and for the remaining 10 minutes we want them to be sharp going forward and take players on :lol:
That's never gonna work I'm afraid

But that's just modern football though isn't it?

Wide men and attackers have to put in a shift defensively too. Gone are the days when you can just stroll around when your side loses the ball. Other sides manage to put the shift in and still be effective going forwards.

Saka I think is fine within the system, bar a few weaker games recently. Pepe I'll accept. He's not the sort of wide man you want picking up the ball in your own half, or even on the halfway line. He's pretty ineffective unless he's in the opponents final 1/3.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Why is there no need to score some more goals against Burnley? Or to attack and open up a bottom half team? Against which team are we gonna score then?

That's not what I said at all. I said there's no need to be so risk averse against a team like Burnley. We've got this thing in our psyche that we've got to always play the percentages first and foremost when in reality we're quite capable of opening sides up by taking a chance.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I'm not arguing whether or not giving deals to them was a good idea, obviously it was a good idea, I would've done it and I'm sure most fans would.

You said the frontline aren't his players, I'm saying he handed out contracts that prove they very much are his players. Or are you saying that Arteta needs to bring in a body in every single position before this team is his? Of course not.

As for Auba that's fluff imo, he handed him 300k+ a week you do not hand a player huge wages for three years just because we don't have funds to properly replace the player.

You do that if you believe in him, which Arteta did, Aubameyang is his striker, just because it's not worked out so far (and I don't necessarily blame Auba, but that's a different topic) doesn't mean he's suddenly not.

Put any striker, bar the top5 players in that position there today and they wouldn't get a sniff as well.

It's a system problem right now.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Feel he's completely given up on trying to play actual football now.

We are a funny mix of hope ball, hoof ball and with a nice dollop of park the bus added too!

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
But that's just modern football though isn't it?

Wide men and attackers have to put in a shift defensively too. Gone are the days when you can just stroll around when your side loses the ball. Other sides manage to put the shift in and still be effective going forwards.

Saka I think is fine within the system, bar a few weaker games recently. Pepe I'll accept. He's not the sort of wide man you want picking up the ball in your own half, or even on the halfway line. He's pretty ineffective unless he's in the opponents final 1/3.
I don't think I've ever seen this. Most of the top clubs with technical players will play a high defensive line and will win the ball back quickly. Arteta fields the lineup that was designed to control the game and create chances, but somehow we've ended up defending deep in our own box.
I would even be OK with that if it wasn't against Burnley. Did you ever see Woods/Barnes running behind a high defensive line and scoring a goal? Me neither, all I see from them is that they want to attack crosses and high balls in our own box. How the fck do we end up playing to their strengths and wasting Saka and Pepe in defense?
Saka and Pepe basically spent the second half on the edge of our own box. You can't go into details of their game until Arteta gets his team further up the pitch. They are attackers who are forced to defend all the time. I don't see Mahrez and Grealish spending 90% of the game helping their FB's. One thing is putting in a shift and tracking back when needed, the other thing is what Arteta is doing with them

REWB

Yes Saka are ESR are his players and will be part of this Arsenal squad for a long time as they age and improve...whats your point? Regardless of that everyone at Arsenal knows we need more experienced players upfront to compliment them and take the pressure off.

You dont give someone 300k a week for 3 years just because you dont have funds? errm says who? yes you can do, especially if you're in a desperate situation up top. Its either that or spend 60 million on a striker with similar wages anyway, which we couldnt afford at the time. Listen at the end of the day we ****ed up giving him a contract, he's 32 years old. He's done and its no fault of his own or Arteta, Its just old age.

• Red card
Reactions: Kav

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I actually think Pepe is quite good at getting us up the pitch when he picks
it up in the middle third. He has a few of those quick transitions a game.

As for the rest of your post I think the issue is that I think all our wingers spend a lot of time defending compared to our rivals, they’re usually in the defensive third when we launch our attacks and maybe they’re tired by the time they get the ball in the final third? We were so sloppy with all our counter attacks today.

Alexs

We might be 8th if we beat Tottenham. Rejoice. We're going for the hat trick of mediocrity.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

E8HcGu7XsAMviBm

Still have this down as the end.

Tottenham, Brighton and Palace are three really tricky games for our 2 goal team.

So sad that Vieira is on Palace's bench for this while we have Poundland Gus Fring on ours.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

He's no Tuco either, tbh.

He's that annoying female character that Walter poisoned at the end of the show.

Have some respect for Lydia FFS! She was a saint for how she suffered the advances of Ian Dowie's lovechild (Jesse Plemons) in silence.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom