Mikel Arteta: Manager Of The Month

What does Mikel need to do to keep his job in your opinion?

• Total voters

ExtjExhtts

Seems like a guy with consistent opinions.

I wonder how many of these Arteta freaks were the complete opposite with Emery?

The best example of this hypocrisy is Andrew Mangan. The man seem to be in love with Arteta so today he accept the kind of awful football that made him campaign against Emery. Its interesting that he has been less critical of the club since the ESL debacle.

El Duderino

99 Problems But A Mitch Ain't One
Trusted ✔️
The best example of this hypocrisy is Andrew Mangan. The man seem to be in love with Arteta so today he accept the kind of awful football that made him campaign against Emery. Its interesting that he has been less critical of the club since the ESL debacle.

He *literally* said the other day that we've been playing badly and it's not good enough? Was also critical of our Norwich win.

I agree and disagree with him plenty, but he almost picked a fight with Gunnerblog because the latter was trying to make excuses for the manager.

Blankety Blank

6th and all these guys like Tomiyasu, White, Ode, Ramsdale, Lokonga, ESR etc showing promise, IS the story.

Then next summer you sign one or two big players to compliment this young base. Edu even told us this in his interview, and I think that’s what will happen - our squad is probably the 5th or 6th best in the PL, and we have no Europe.
I think that is the plan
According to transfermarkt squad valuation we are quite a way behind Sp**s but comparable to Leicester.

Leicester have a very settled squad & a more experienced manager. We have lots of new players & people forget that ESR/SAKA are so young, As you say not being in Europe may benefit us in getting above them.

ExtjExhtts

He *literally* said the other day that we've been playing badly and it's not good enough? Was also critical of our Norwich win.

I agree and disagree with him plenty, but he almost picked a fight with Gunnerblog because the latter was trying to make excuses for the manager.

I am comparing with his attitude towards Emery. Every win during that infamous streak was scrutinized because the underlying metrics was worrying. This isnt happening now in the same way and he is actually trying to be positive, something that didnt happen with Emery.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately
Trusted ✔️
Think he gets a new contract if he finishes 6th, ngl. Club has already put out there that this season is a write off with all the "unprecedented squad changes" and with how young our squad is.

Top four is pretty much a closed shop this year if United, Chelsea, City and Liverpool play to anywhere near their potenticial. 5th *should* be between us, Leiceister and Sp**s. Meaning, imo, there's no way the club sacks him if he's not gunning for 4th place.

Again, they should, since if the football stays this bland results won't really come.

But they won't.

Accurate analysis IMO.

I'd further say that Edu's interview would even suggest more leeway, with anything between 5th and 17th acceptable, and Arteta given exactly what he needs. That's how far I think they've dropped the bar for Mikel to hop over. It would take a clusterfuck of results, like four/five/six losses in a row to bring sacking back into the equation.

The signs were clear for all of us to see... Arteta had done next to nothing to get the 130 million backing he got this past summer, yet he got it. Arteta had no business staying at the club after the Europa League second leg, yet he stayed.

There is no process that's being backed, its just the ownership forcing the issue, until their boy figures something out.

sdotzdot

It was very Emery esque to me. Take the lead then try defend it by dropping deep while having zero counter threat.
It’s not Emery esque, it’s even worse. This is Arteta’s “identity” with football. We no longer need to compare it to anything else, he’s been here for ages and from the very beginning he’s shut up shop every time after we go 1-0 up, regardless if we’re playing a Liverpool or a league 1 side in a cup game.

He’s had a list of excuses for this for years but deep down you can see in all his interviews after our scrappy wins (basically all of our wins) how happy he is with the rigidness. This is exactly how he intends to play. Nothing is going to change.

He straight up bold face lied to all of the fans and I’m assuming the owners and the board when he was appointed because he was selling dreams of a footballing style we will NEVER see under him. He should have been sacked for this alone. The club has no respect for the fans.

El Duderino

Trusted ✔️
Accurate analysis IMO.

I'd further say that Edu's interview would even suggest more leeway, with anything between 5th and 17th acceptable, and Arteta given exactly what he needs. That's how far I think they've dropped the bar for Mikel to hop over. It would take a clusterfuck of results, like four/five/six losses in a row to bring sacking back into the equation.

Nah, he finishes below 8th and he gets sacked 100%. You can't spend 130m and not move up the table.

IstraBalagina

Think he gets a new contract if he finishes 6th, ngl. Club has already put out there that this season is a write off with all the "unprecedented squad changes" and with how young our squad is.

Top four is pretty much a closed shop this year if United, Chelsea, City and Liverpool play to anywhere near their potenticial. 5th *should* be between us, Leiceister and Sp**s. Meaning, imo, there's no way the club sacks him if he's not gunning for 4th place.

Again, they should, since if the football stays this bland results won't really come.

But they won't.
Imagine giving a new contract to a manager who finished 6th while his predecessors finished 5th/6th and it was deemed not good enough at the time.

What's this insistence with Arteta, is it because he's young ?

Makingtrax

Planes, Trains & Social Media Rants
I think that is the plan
According to transfermarkt squad valuation we are quite a way behind Sp**s but comparable to Leicester.

Leicester have a very settled squad & a more experienced manager. We have lots of new players & people forget that ESR/SAKA are so young, As you say not being in Europe may benefit us in getting above them.
Those squad valuations are meaningless, they’re just crowd sourced. People’s ideas of what the players might be worth. Squad investment is accurate and well known. We’re well ahead of Leicester now we’ve spent so much. Here’s what our relative squads have cost (with add-ons and add-ons not included). 5th should be our standard now Arteta’s in his 3rd season.
A9-A11-A7-F-B2-B3-491-D-8698-81030-A3-E21-E9.jpg

El Duderino

Trusted ✔️
Imagine giving a new contract to a manager who finished 6th while his predecessors finished 5th/6th and it was deemed not good enough at the time.

What's this insistence with Arteta, is it because he's young ?

Don't really know, don't particularly agree with it, but it's how the club is moving for the near future.

Blankety Blank

Those squad valuations are meaningless, they’re just crowd sourced. People’s ideas of what the players might be worth. Squad investment is accurate and well known. We’re well ahead of Leicester now we’ve spent so much. Here’s what our relative squads have cost (with add-ons and add-ons not included). 5th should be our standard now Arteta’s in his 3rd season.
A9-A11-A7-F-B2-B3-491-D-8698-81030-A3-E21-E9.jpg
Its totally not though if you make poor signings or overpay for players.
Pepe 70m, Musti 35m, Xhaka 35m there are loads more bad examples. We have to give players away as nobody will pay a fee Özil/Sokratis etc.
Over the last few years we have been run badly & leicester have been run well. That is why we are similar in terms of squad valuation even though we out spent them.
Sp**s got decent money by selling certain players so have Liverpool. & they have bought well. Sp**s are lucky enough to have Kane & Son.
Man U & the oil clubs will always be able to outspend us. The reason we have dropped from 4th to 7th is down to Liverpool, Sp**s & Leicester getting better & us not improving in the last 5/6 years or so.

Our squad looks more balanced now but still needs work. We need to get a few out & bring some more in. However we are going through the biggest rebuild i can remember in recent times & this was never going to be easy.

I agree we should be competing with Sp**s & Leicester though for 5th or 6th certainly this season.

Makingtrax

Planes, Trains & Social Media Rants
Its totally not though if you make poor signings or overpay for players.
Pepe 70m, Musti 35m, Xhaka 35m there are loads more bad examples. We have to give players away as nobody will pay a fee Özil/Sokratis etc.
Over the last few years we have been run badly & leicester have been run well. That is why we are similar in terms of squad valuation even though we out spent them.
Sp**s got decent money by selling certain players so have Liverpool. & they have bought well. Sp**s are lucky enough to have Kane & Son.
Man U & the oil clubs will always be able to outspend us. The reason we have dropped from 4th to 7th is down to Liverpool, Sp**s & Leicester getting better & us not improving in the last 5/6 years or so.

Our squad looks more balanced now but still needs work. We need to get a few out & bring some more in. However we are going through the biggest rebuild i can remember in recent times & this was never going to be easy.

I agree we should be competing with Sp**s & Leicester though for 5th or 6th certainly this season.
Exactly, that’s why we were 3 places below our investment position last year. Poor deals, rubbish manager.

Not expecting Leicester to do very well, they’ve been over performing lately, investing 8th, finished 5th last year. That’s 3 places over. Not expecting them to repeat that this year. Rogers isn’t as good as managers that can keep over performing like Klopp, Pochettino and course our incredible manager who managed it for an unbelievable 20 years straight. ;)

AbouCuéllar

Wishes to get banned elsewhere
I struggle not to. We simply are not scoring and look so blunt in attack. We have scored two goals in five matches! Yes, we have won the last two matches, but still that is absolute poverty. Whatever you want to say about Arteta, but we aren't exactly lighting up the league with our attacking football.
Yeah, I just meant in this game. No doubt the quality of football needs to be upped from the second half of last season (which was a level up from the first half of last season, which isn't even worth discussing it was so poor).
Let's not pretend like this is a new issue. Ever since Arteta has been here we have struggled to score goals and create chances. Now that can be down to two things, the tactics or the players (in reality it's both).
No doubt. But this was quite different. Our issue with Arteta has typically been getting into the final third with spaces and interesting situations to create opportunities in. Those situations abounded yesterday. That's why I say, sure, if we see that this now becomes the problem--having interesting situations and spaces but being quite wasteful or poor with the final ball--then I will be the first to say that it is something to do with the manager, because my philosophy is that the manager is the author of a team and has huge effect on its production. But as I said, this hasn't really been the case with Arteta--if anything our players have tended to be rather clinical with the limited amount of opportunities they create and limited amount of spaces they tend to find / create (hence why we have performed to our slightly above our xG).

Rather than adress the most obvious issue in the team, he's spent over 100million on defenders and keepers. No excuses for this bloke anymore.

Well, White is a defender but you can argue he does as much to address the systemic issues in the team in terms of construction, being effective in retaining possession and being able to mount attacks and progress the ball into the final third in an effective. Lokonga, Tomiyasu, and Ramsdale certainly have trickle down effects on this too (Lokonga obviously in greater degree). Ødegaard was signed for this, of course, as well. I get this argument from last season (it was mine; absolutely furious we didn't sign a 10 when we had such chance creation issues), but don't really understand it re: our recruitment this summer. Think White's signing in regards to the effect it has on our play is especially underrated / underappreciated. Playing the type of lineup we played yesterday wasn't viable without a player of White's calm and composure on the ball who can supplement Thomas' passing duties in the build-up and playing out from the back including under some level of pressure (something we just couldn't do with a Holding / Gabriel or Holding / Marí back-line; Tomiyasu of course helps there too, though the difference between White and Holding or any other CB we played last season is massive compared to what I've seen the difference between Tomi and Bellerín is in this phase).

Again, we were finding ourselves in very different spaces, breaking into the final third and through lines with our passing yesterday, than we usually see under Arteta, and while part of that is down to the poorish opposition (reminded me a bit of away Wolves game last season tbf, in this respect, though I think Burnley is typically a much more solid and difficult to break down side than Wolves looked last season when we played them), certainly it also has to do with being able to play out from the back comfortably and link defense-midfield-attack in much more interesting ways thanks to White, and the fact his qualities allow for it to be viable a lineup that before really wasn't functional (here I'm talking about the trickle down effect; against Villarreal with this lineup we just couldn't get the ball from Thomas to Ødegaard, we could barely get it to Thomas, through the middle--U-Shape and all that we've talked about--White changes this, and Ødegaard especially was getting on the ball often in the middle of the pitch where he can make the difference and bring the coherence, sense, and quality to our build-up in ways that really no one else does for us).

Latest posts