• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I guess I mean it both ways, both the Ferguson’s and the Wenggers of the world.

You make valid points, especially with the job being incredibly big for an inexperienced manager

We are on a roll in the league so let’shope the momentum sticks with us and Artetas vision becomes clearer
As Camus says there, it's a rather unprecedented occurrence, other than Pirlo and Henry (who cares about Henry in this sense, tbh, it was so obvious he was never going to be an interesting manager), no manager has been given a job without being the manager of at least a B team.

We can argue about if there's that much difference between being a Castilla or Barça B manager and then being promoted versus being a top team + manager's 2nd and then being promoted--I can see the arguments both ways--but yeah, the fact is we are in relatively uncharted waters, and a pandemic and no real pre-season and a covid outbreak hampered second pre-season is then thrown into the mix to higher the degrees of unprecedentedness...

As I've said before, it's one of the reason it's so hard to properly assess Arteta. And why I find it relatively stupid to speak in such categorical and certain terms about him as many on here do, when there is really so much we can't quite parse out about him.

Anyways, this season we will finally learn much of the truth about him, at least in terms of what his managerial skill is at this point in his career.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
This pre season wasn't hampered by Covid at all. If anything there was the EC, and iirc only three Arsenal players - Xhaka, Tierney and Saka - were there.
We had a few friendlies (a trip to U.S. and the tournament, as I recall?) completely cancelled no, because of the outbreak? I wasn't following too closely the pre-season but it seemed like it was hugely affected by covid, and that a number of players were absent from pre-season trainings as a result.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
We had a few friendlies (a trip to U.S. and the tournament, as I recall?) completely cancelled no, because of the outbreak? I wasn't following too closely the pre-season but it seemed like it was hugely affected by covid, and that a number of players were absent from pre-season trainings as a result.

Then go to the ****ing US when you know they've got a bad situation going on. And as if those modern pre season trips aren't just PR bullshit. As well as training in LA Arsenal could train somewhere in Cornwall. And I don't recall a lot of Covid cases at the club?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Then go to the ****ing US when you know they've got a bad situation going on. And as if those modern pre season trips aren't just PR bullshit. As well as training in LA Arsenal could train somewhere in Cornwall. And I don't recall a lot of Covid cases at the club?
Yeah we didn’t go to LA but it didn’t affect our pre-season in terms of building fitness and training pitch time which is the most important thing. Missing the LA games is only a slight inconvenience, if at all tbh.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Sure, the players probably wanted to go around and feel cool in the sunny LA but thats completely irrelevant.

Kav

Established Member
Arteta may have reached fifty wins in less games than Wenger but Wenger wasn’t playing Europa and also I am certain he has had more losses during that period. What is interesting is the following statistics for league games:

Mikel ArtetaUnai EmeryArsène Wenger
Games:505050
Won:212527
Drawn:12137
Lost:171216
Goals for:729196
Goals against:566864
Clean sheets:151018
Points per game:1.51.761.76
Win rate:42%50%54%
Loss rate:34%24%32%
Goals per game:1.441.821.92
Goals conceeded per game:1.121.361.28

As you can see Wenger had a far superior win record during this time. Make of it what you will.

scytheavatar

Established Member
but yeah, the fact is we are in relatively uncharted waters, and a pandemic and no real pre-season and a covid outbreak hampered second pre-season is then thrown into the mix to higher the degrees of unprecedentedness...

Explain to me why we can't assert Arteta when every team in the world is affected by the same disruptions..... and these disruptions seemed to have favoured the underdog upsetting the established powers worldwide.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
To me, its perfectly clear that Arteta is still learning on the job and that he still isnt at a level to take us forward as a club.

I dont think that is the point however. I say so because its clear from the club's behaviour towards him, in that he will be given the opportunity this season to show that he is capable of, and check whether reaching the level of competence required at Arsenal will be soon enough.

It goes back to Edu's interview with Geoff Shreeves for me, and when he was asked about Arsenal's finishing position this season. Edu's answer, summed it up quite clearly in what was said and not said.

Arteta has the football brain, no doubt about that. Its other factors, which are key to excellent management, that he still lacks.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
A draw away against a well oiled Potter team isn’t horrible IMO, although missed the game

The scoreline may look positive for us, in terms to them being a well oiled machine and us being work in progress. But the actual performance on the day tells the real story.

What was disappointing for me is how we couldnt get the basics right on the day. We should not be battling with the fundamentals so far into the project.

Haphazard

Brighton away is a tough game but the performance, alongside the performances throughout the season have been horrific bar a good 45 mins vs a very disorganized Sp**s side.

There is 0 evidence to suggest even with all that time and funding that we have improved our general gameplay or results.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom