Mikel Arteta: Mid-table Mikel

On a scale from 1-10 (the most), how much faith do you have in Arteta?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted
Arteta’s been very clever so far in exaggerating how far behind we are.

It’s not that there’s a huge gap between us and the top, it’s that there’s a huge gap between our squad profile and his preferred squad profile.

The league is poverty this season when you think that United team are at the summit and see how the likes of Chelsea and lately even Liverpool are performing.

He needs to adjust his appetite for risk a bit.

John oxford

I am pretty sure that after one year in the job he still can’t believe that he got the arsenal job. probably every morning after he wake up he’s going to the mirror and say ‘You talking to me?’

MikelHadADream

Arteta’s been very clever so far in exaggerating how far behind we are.

It’s not that there’s a huge gap between us and the top, it’s that there’s a huge gap between our squad profile and his preferred squad profile.

The league is poverty this season when you think that United team are at the summit and see how the likes of Chelsea and lately even Liverpool are performing.

He needs to adjust his appetite for risk a bit.

The thing is there are very fine margins in football. Look at Liverpool, they have dominated for 3 years and now are in a fight for top 4.

I don't think we had the players earlier in the season to be effective against most teams in the league, but now with the emergence of ESR, the return of Partey and the potential Odeegard signing, Arteta has the tools he lacked earlier in the season.

I expect us to have a strong end to the season now, it's time for Arteta to deliver.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted
For all the criticism he gets I don't think Uncle Mikel gets enough praise for his ability to convince players to join our project. Everyone who's signed or extended has spoken about how Arteta was instrumental in convincing them. Did we get that much with Emery?

I just hope he's not selling them dreams. Or worse, selling us dreams. When he gets 2/3 more of "his" kind of player, if we don't see clear improvement then I think everyone will be well within their rights to doubt him as a coach. IMO, we've seen enough to persist with him long enough to put a proper stamp on this team.

Macho

Has Trust Issues With Processes
Trusted
For all the criticism he gets I don't think Uncle Mikel gets enough praise for his ability to convince players to join our project. Everyone who's signed or extended has spoken about how Arteta was instrumental in convincing them. Did we get that much with Emery?
To be fair to Emery, he didn't have much to do with the signings and didn't get any of his preferred targets. Players were even let go against his wishes too.

Zaha seemed very receptive when he tapped him up, but otherwise I don't think Emery quite got the chance unless you want to count Denis Suarez.

Arteta did convince Auba though, he would have left if it was Emery so there is that. It's Arteta's club, I feel it's very different.

GDeep™

Dissociating
Emery wasn’t in control of transfers, that was Raul. Wasn’t his job to convince players as he couldn’t even ask for players he wanted. It was a different model.

GDeep™

Dissociating
Arteta did convince Auba though, he would have left if it was Emery so there is that. It's Arteta's club, I feel it's very different.
Where would Auba have left for? He signed with a mid table club with no CL or any prospect of CL. No club wanted Auba.

Macho

Trusted

novar

Maybe he shows them all those hilarious Athletic articles to convince them of the project

Nobody has denied Arteta's quality at PR at marketing

GDeep™

Dissociating
I know you think he's a sh*t baller but he did have offers from better clubs. Surprised people act like he didn't.
You really think he turned down Barcelona for us? :lol:

Maybe they offered crap wages. He’s re-signed at the worst Arsenal of the last 30 years.

Macho

Trusted
You really think he turned down Barcelona for us? :lol:

Maybe they offered crap wages. He’s re-signed at the worst Arsenal of the last 30 years.
It's literally there in writing, you asked who wanted him and I showed you a better club than Arsenal.

My original point was TGG was right about Arteta deserving credit for clearly having a way with words with players anyways.

Maybe it is just money? Would suit my anti Arteta agenda better if Ødegaard and Auba stayed for money knowing that the manager/team is crap anyways.

GDeep™

Dissociating
Why does all this other rubbish matter to you? :lol: He's a goal machine and he plays for Arsenal. That's all there is to it.
It doesn’t matter, I’m happy he’s here. Just playing forum tennis.

One of the worst footballers I have maybe ever seen at Arsenal, but like you say, great goal getter.

Nobody has defended him more than me this season, after this whole forum turned on him and tried to accuse him of becoming lazy and taking his foot off the gas since his new deal.

Sweet'n'Soulful

It doesn’t matter, I’m happy he’s here. Just playing forum tennis.

One of the worst footballers I have maybe ever seen at Arsenal, but like you say, great goal getter.

Nobody has defended him more than me this season, after this whole forum turned on him and tried to accuse him of becoming lazy and taking his foot off the gas since his new deal.
Worst seen at Arsenal :lol: If Auba's all round game was at the same level as your hair-splitting we'd going for the quad this season.

Jack_the_boy

Definitely Not Manberg
I found out that his players (at least, the experienced ones), call him Mikel. They used to call Wenger the boss.

What do you guys think? I see pros and cons in both.

Keplaz

I found out that his players (at least, the experienced ones), call him Mikel. They used to call Wenger the boss.

What do you guys think? I see pros and cons in both.

I think it's fine. He's only 38. He isn't much older than the senior players. I don't think it shows disrespect. How many people nowadays don't call their managers by their names?

Wenger is a different man. More old school. And he created a father son dynamic with the players. His stature demanded respect a different way.

Wenger was Master Yoda. And Mikel is more like Obi Wan.