• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Trophies are aspirational. Least you forget Arteta won one last season. Mixing trophies with top 4 is what we should be doing.
Mixing trophies with top 4 is exactly what Arsène was roasted on a spit for. 7 FA Cups is one tremendous achievement.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I will be honest I am one of them. A complete fool in hindsight.

A well run club I don't think there is anything wrong with trying something in different after 20 years. Seeing what we have done since though and looking at what Wenger achieved, we might as well have had Wenger decide when to walk rather than push him out the back door.

The problem was the fans were never going to allow that were they? it did get very toxic.

Atleast he is vindicated more and more as time goes on as long, as you don't have your blinkers on.
That's because of who you are. There's plenty on here still trying to bluff it out, pretending those dark times were worth it if Arteta gets us back to where we were :lol:.

@Macho told you their were still some still trying to bluff it out.:lol:

Last edited:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

That is a consequence of the explosion of money in the game, which means you need a minimum amount of annual revenue (€400m in 2020, going by Deloitte’s figures) to even begin competing. On the other side, when clubs like Liverpool or Manchester City maximise that revenue through admirable intelligence, the disparity then has an amplifying effect. The gap gets even greater on the pitch. This is why we are seeing so many historic records now being broken season after season.

Money has been the great differential.

More money, however, has simply led to more disparity...

Returning to wages, the ‘stretch’ from the bottom to the top in the Premier League has gone from 2.85x in that breakaway season of 1992-93 to 4.7x last year. In Spain, it has been as high as 17.2x, and in some mid-size leagues like Switzerland over 20x.

This is relevant because of how crucial wages are to the working of the sport. Repeated studies – most notably by Stefan Szymanski and Tim Kuypers – have highlighted that they condition results to a greater degree than anything else. Arguments about net transfer spend are close to irrelevant.

Buying the most expensive players doesn’t automatically generate good sporting results,” Manchester City chief executive Ferran Soriano wrote in his book The Ball Doesn’t Go In By Chance. “What does generate those good results is having the best players in your team and paying them the salary they deserve.”

This is what really creates the stretch.

riyad-mahrez.jpg

It is increasingly hard for mid-table clubs to attract talent
(Getty)
“I had the money to buy players,” Cortese says. “But not the money to keep players.”

This has been the primary issue for most Premier League clubs seeking to grow, despite the influx of TV money that has allowed high transfer fees.

By the competition’s latest figures, the big six paid 51.3% of the total wages.

This disparity has led to a corresponding disparity in results. And thus the unpredictability of football – the lifeblood of the sport – begins to dissolve.

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
I will be honest I am one of them. A complete fool in hindsight.

A well run club I don't think there is anything wrong with trying something in different after 20 years. Seeing what we have done since though and looking at what Wenger achieved, we might as well have had Wenger decide when to walk rather than push him out the back door.

The problem was the fans were never going to allow that were they? it did get very toxic.

Atleast he is vindicated more and more as time goes on as long, as you don't have your blinkers on.

He finished 6th in his final season miles off 4th after finishing 5th the season before how is he vindicated? The league is a hell of a lot tougher then when we used to scrape 4th ahead of Sp**s, Villa, Everton and Newcastle.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

He finished 6th in his final season miles off 4th after finishing 5th the season before how is he vindicated? The league is a hell of a lot tougher then when we used to scrape 4th ahead of Sp**s, Villa, Everton and Newcastle.
Bet you'd whinge if there was one bully at your work. :lol: Try playing football with thousands of angry idiots, planes overhead, social media frothing and boycotts. All because you won 7 FA Cups and finished in the top 4 for 20 years.

Atlas

Bet you'd whinge if there was one bully at your work. :lol: Try playing football with thousands of angry idiots, planes overhead, social media frothing and boycotts. All because you won 7 FA Cups and finished in the top 4 for 20 years.

Meh. Manchester United were crushing the league when people were protesting against the Glazers. Who gives a fvck what the fans think?

Edit : :lol::lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Meh. Manchester United were crushing the league when people were protesting against the Glazers. Who gives a fvck what the fans think?

Edit : :lol::lol:
Nothing like the same. They weren't making up stories about the team bottling it and the manager being useless, when in fact they were over performing.

Edit::lol::lol::lol:

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Arteta is still a work in progress. The components to this side are coming together slowly. Let’s give him the time. We are not fvcking Chelsea.

The next phase of evolution to this team is sorting out the middle of the park (replacing Xhaka) and up front. Possibly Bissouma/ Ndidi type signing and Edouard up front may make a significant difference

Atlas

:lol:
Nothing like the same. They weren't making up stories about the team bottling it and the manager being useless, when in fact they were over performing.

Edit::lol::lol::lol:

The team did bottle it.:lol::lol: In 2016 the stars aligned all the major clubs were in transition which allowed us, Leicester and Sp**s to finish top 3 and we still managed to bottle it.:lol::lol:We bottled Europe 20+ times and bottled the league with our best team ever the moment Mourinho turned up.

I love Arsène he’s the reason why I started supporting this club. The football we played and the things we won under him made it a magical time. He was one of the best managers of all time and nobody will say otherwise. The fact still remains that the league was less competitive before 2015 and once the competition heated up via Poch and Klopp at Sp**s and Pool he was in decline. It’s no shame everyone declines but to constantly keep bleating that we were doing well in his last few years is a lie. The football had become poor and the signings were awful. The fact that the club ballsed up his replacement doesn’t mean that the time had not come for him to leave.

:lol::lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

:lol:

The team did bottle it.:lol::lol: In 2016 the stars aligned all the major clubs were in transition which allowed us, Leicester and Sp**s to finish top 3 and we still managed to bottle it.:lol::lol:We bottled Europe 20+ times and bottled the league with our best team ever the moment Mourinho turned up.

I love Arsène he’s the reason why I started supporting this club. The football we played and the things we won under him made it a magical time. He was one of the best managers of all time and nobody will say otherwise. The fact still remains that the league was less competitive before 2015 and once the competition heated up via Poch and Klopp at Sp**s and Pool he was in decline. It’s no shame everyone declines but to constantly keep bleating that we were doing well in his last few years is a lie. The football had become poor and the signings were awful. The fact that the club ballsed up his replacement doesn’t mean that the time had not come for him to leave.

:lol::lol:
Mate why are you even bothering to repeat the old 2016 fairytale that DT spat and frothed about. All opinion, all complete nonsense.

Here's the actual facts:
Finishes before the fans got nasty.
3rd,4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd

After the fans made a fool of themselves
5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, ?

The whole fanbase is desperate to get back to the standards we were. And most acknowledge it.

Atlas

Mate why are you even bothering to repeat the old 2016 fairytale that DT spat and frothed about. All opinion, all complete nonsense.

Here's the actual facts:
Finishes before the fans got nasty.
3rd,4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd

After the fans made a fool of themselves
5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, ?

To be honest with you I couldn’t care less what Arsenal fan TV think or say. The fans weren’t responsible for us finishing 5th/6th it was poor signings and shocking handling of the Sanchez transfer that cost us.

But if it makes you sleep better at night you can blame airplanes and banners.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

To be honest with you I couldn’t care less what Arsenal fan TV think or say. The fans weren’t responsible for us finishing 5th/6th it was poor signings and shocking handling of the Sanchez transfer that cost us.

But if it makes you sleep better at night you can blame airplanes and banners.
Nothing to do with sleeping, I watch the ****housery first hand. Ashamed of it. Just people who've no idea about football.

Atlas

Nothing to do with sleeping, I watch the ****housery first hand. Ashamed of it. Just people who've no idea about football.

I think the way the fans treated Wenger was disgraceful. Wenger was a victim of his own early success the club has no divine right to success. Football has become a numbers game you can’t expect to spend less and do more. That being said the last couple of seasons were poor FA Cup aside the football was nowhere near as good. I doubt Wenger was going to reinvent himself and change things drastically. The appointment of Emery didn’t help either.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don't want to get into it, I just think in hindsight Wenger especially and Emery did a lot better than I initially thought.

I bought into headlines and sentiment at the time and I wish I looked at things like I do now that's all.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I don't want to get into it, I just think in hindsight Wenger especially and Emery did a lot better than I initially thought.

I bought into headlines and sentiment at the time and I wish I looked at things like I do now that's all.

Think you had hope back then...I am a bit like this too, look back with some regrets.

With Arsène, I assume you believed he could do great things...so when we lost, you felt more pain.

With Arteta...the defeats don't annoy you as much, as I honestly don't think you can have less belief in a manager :lol:

Squillaci

Congrats to Mikel, even though I think we could've won in FA cup as well.
Things are looking good, bad patch that transition from 3 4 3 to 4 3 3 caused seems to be behind us. That doesn't mean we will be brilliant in every match from now on of course.
My confidence in Mikel did decrease, but I still honestly believe he can get us back to winning the league.
I am ready to give him time, because this really is a project and it's gonna take some time to get things clicking.
I really would hate for us to become a club that changes coaches/managers whenever thing start to look grim.
Fans have a tendency to always make the worst of it.
Situation with Emery was different, he lost players and the board.
This time it seems that board and players believe in goals that are set and the way to get to them.

There's thing Mikel need to improve on quickly, but I really think we should be patient and stick with this for a while.
He knows what this club is about and hopefully he and we will be awarded for it.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

There’s good and there’s bad players. But I want to see him with his own team. One with players he’s bought or bought up from the academy. He needs the backing and patience to get his own team.
So every Manager that comes here should clear out the squad and start from scratch?

I have to hand it to you manberg3 :lol:

Top Bottom