• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Multiple unnamed people have been arrested at Barca this morning for financial irregularities.

I'd love the authorities to comb over our finances from the period Raul was here. Bet his hidden coke and hookers budget was obscene :lol:

Kav

Established Member
He deffo does still have their backing, it's very clear. Had we gone out last week tho and the season was over it would be so difficult to claw them back.
I am am speculating that the players are playing for professional pride at this point. They know the performances have not been good enough even taking into consideration the handicap they have in terms of Tactics and systems.

There have been a series of disciplinary issues as well. That’s mostly on the players though. They have a duty to put in their best and I will acknowledge that they have not done so for the most part of the season. Regardless of my opinion on Arteta, some things you can’t put on the manager, the players are probably thinking we need to actually show up. Well I hope so.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I am am speculating that the players are playing for professional pride at this point. They know the performances have not been good enough even taking into consideration the handicap they have in terms of Tactics and systems.

There have been a series of disciplinary issues as well. That’s mostly on the players though. They have a duty to put in their best and I will acknowledge that they have not done so for the most part of the season. Regardless of my opinion on Arteta, some things you can’t put on the manager, the players are probably thinking we need to actually show up. Well I hope so.

I agree with your second paragraph.

The first one just puts Arteta in a position where you're not going to give him credit for anything.

The first portion of the season was largely down to team selection issues and tactics and that's mainly on Arteta. He deserves criticism for that.

Arteta changed up personnel ( Some enforced admittedly ) and tactics since Christmas and that's put us on top 4 pace since then.
Yet that's down to players playing for professional pride rather than Arteta's improved management? Well where was that professional pride in the first 3 months of the season? Seems like a way to deny giving Arteta any credit at all to me.

If you listen to the players talk it's pretty apparent that most are invested in Arteta in a way that wasn't the case with Emery.

Since the Özil crew have been blackballed we're not getting these dressing room leaks every 5 minute. The journalist Chris Wheatley said Özil's agent was behind a lot of those leaks. It seems to me that those guys were trying to manufacture the impression that Arteta had lost the dressing room for their own ends.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah think we need some form of European football next year which is why I’m ok with 7th.

People love using the Chelsea example where they finished outside the EL places then won the league but they’d won the title the year before then bought Kante and Alonso that summer.

For us if we have no European football the budget just gets smaller.
Crazy using the Chelsea example. They'd invested a huge sum in that team and had some outstanding players in most positions. And as you say they'd not long before won the league.

We're a country mile off that. Inexperienced manager, inexperienced technical director, inexperienced CEO, inferior spending, operating with some of Chelsea's older rejects, whole sale removal of experienced scouts, dealing with suspect agents, coming off the back of finishing 8th and clearly a club in decline, unless our current position alters significantly.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Crazy using the Chelsea example. They'd invested a huge sum in that team and had some outstanding players in most positions. And as you say they'd not long before won the league.

We're a country mile off that. Inexperienced manager, inexperienced technical director, inexperienced CEO, inferior spending, operating with some of Chelsea's older rejects, whole sale removal of experienced scouts, dealing with suspect agents, coming off the back of finishing 8th and clearly a club in decline, unless our current position alters significantly.

They won't. Count on that much.

Chelsea are run by people who have an understanding of the sport whilst we have owners who are clueless, staff who are woefully inexperienced & a glut of players no team would take off our hands if we paid them.

We'll remain in the wilderness for a good while yet.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I wonder if Arteta will use Barca's interest in him to twist the board's arm into getting what he wants. I'm still not sure about him and if he can do the dirty on Pep to join us, we should be alert to other available managers just in case.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Think I'm going to back Arteta until after the summer and see how we do. There are clear squad issues that he and Edu have started dealing with aggressively.

He's got loads of promising features, man management aside (although the squad who he likes seem to be totally behind him)

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Think I'm going to back Arteta until after the summer and see how we do. There are clear squad issues that he and Edu have started dealing with aggressively.

He's got loads of promising features, man management aside (although the squad who he likes seem to be totally behind him)

Out of interest, what do you think they are?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Going into the season nobody would have said there were squad issues. The majority were delighted with Partey, Willian and Gabriel as our main signings especially for a team in the Europa League.

Unless a few of the teams above us completely capitulate, Arteta won’t be achieving our minimum expectations set at the beginning of the season which was to finish in the top 4.

bergholt

Tricky Micky using the Barca links for a bumper contract. Kia Joorabchian's specialty.

I don't mind Arteta and think there's every chance he could turn out to be a good manager.

But if we sign him beyond 2023 at this point then we should be shot out of a cannon into the sun.

Call the bluff, if he goes to Barca then we find someone to replace him without crippling us financially and removing all our options into the future.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Going into the season nobody would have said there were squad issues. The majority were delighted with Partey, Willian and Gabriel as our main signings especially for a team in the Europa League.

Unless a few of the teams above us completely capitulate, Arteta won’t be achieving our minimum expectations set at the beginning of the season which was to finish in the top 4.
I wouldn't say top 4 was minimum expectation but I certainly felt we would put up a massive challenge for it this season with the momentum of the cup win and then obviously adding the likes of Partey and Gabriel. When you then look at the way the entire league has gone this season it has been a huge opportunity missed.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Out of interest, what do you think they are?

- The double edged man management, on the one hand you can criticise him for Guendouzi and Saliba etc but he kept the faith with the main cohort despite some terrible results, they seem to buy in to him.

- Defensive coaching - we have one of the best defences in the league. He's getting a tune out of some pretty mediocre talents

- Tactical - I think if you reflect, there are probably more times hes won the tactical battle than not and he's a young inexperienced coach

- Big teams - links with tactical and defence, we've improved against the big teams

Now don't get me wrong, think there's a lot to improve on and I've flipped between wanting him sacked and not. A big thing is how he'll build the squad. This summer is like an acid test for Arteta and Edu, they've booted out the deadwood, will they be smart and resourceful in recruitment?

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I wouldn't say top 4 was minimum expectation but I certainly felt we would put up a massive challenge for it this season with the momentum of the cup win and then obviously adding the likes of Partey and Gabriel. When you then look at the way the entire league has gone this season it has been a huge opportunity missed.

For me top 4 was the minimum expectations as Unai Emery and Arsène Wenger were judged on exactly the same objectives.

During Arteta’s reign, he was able to spend on Partey, Gabriel and offer Willian ridiculous CL wages therefore he should be judged accordingly imo.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
For me top 4 was the minimum expectations as Unai Emery and Arsène Wenger were judged on exactly the same objectives.

During Arteta’s reign, he was able to spend on Partey, Gabriel and offer Willian ridiculous CL wages therefore he should be judged accordingly imo.
With how poor/inconsistent the league has been this season it's also been an easier target than previous seasons as well. No guarantee that the likes of Liverpool or Chelsea will be anywhere near as bad next season either.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I never looked at the team this summer and expected top 4 but you're right Arteta hasn't been judged the same at all.

Standards have definitely dipped to accommodate him and it's undeniable. I've given up though, winter last year was the time to sack him and a well run club would and we didn't. It is what it is.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I never looked at the team this summer and expected top 4 but you're right Arteta hasn't been judged the same at all.

Standards have definitely dipped to accommodate him and it's undeniable. I've given up though, winter last year was the time to sack him and a well run club would and we didn't. It is what it is.
Our goal is to make top 4 sometimes next few years. The club is not what it used to be even 2 years ago. 7th will keep Arteta in his job in 2022. This season outside of relegation he stays. All he has to do is do better next season

Arteta is good looking, fairly charming and ex captain. These things makes people like him and find positives in him. We could ask what would get him fired next season now and end of next season most people will have moved the goalpost and changed their mind

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Arteta is good looking, fairly charming and ex captain. These things makes people like him and find positives in him. We could ask what would get him fired next season now and end of next season most people will have moved the goalpost and changed their mind
Whilst I've decided to get off his case as I am tired of debating him, I 100% agree.

People will just be talking about Bellerin or Xhaka assuming they are here next season if we're in the same spot. There's nothing you can do as a fan you just have to watch or don't watch.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

I don't think they'll be many fans backing Arteta at the end of next year if we finish 8th-9th or whatever.

Fans have differing degrees of patience with managers but there has to be a limit somewhere.

Finishing midtable after 2.5 years would be unacceptable to me and I'd 100% back him being sacked, as would most current Arteta supporters I believe.

The aim next season should be top 4 along with a continuation of our improved style of play.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

I don't think they'll be many fans backing Arteta at the end of next year if we finish 8th-9th or whatever.

Fans have differing degrees of patience with managers but there has to be a limit somewhere.

Finishing midtable after 2.5 years would be unacceptable to me and I'd 100% back him being sacked, as would most current Arteta supporters I believe.

The aim next season should be top 4 along with a continuation of our improved style of play.
6th:7th would be acceptable for a lot of fans next season imo. It also depends how we finish the season if we win 7 of the last 9 and finish 6th many will argue the positive signs argument.

Latest posts

Top Bottom