• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Finesse

There alot of Arsenal fans on Twitter calling us lucky to win against Benfica and Leicester. :lol: what a fanbase seriously just play thier favorite and they'll support manager if not they'll call him bum
Going into the season nobody would have said there were squad issues. The majority were delighted with Partey, Willian and Gabriel as our main signings especially for a team in the Europa League.

Unless a few of the teams above us completely capitulate, Arteta won’t be achieving our minimum expectations set at the beginning of the season which was to finish in the top 4.

These are the kind of statements made at the start based on emotive positioning and nothing else. I am sure 'the majority' hoped Liverpool would defend the title.

I am not suggesting you are wrong. Even when you are right about the majority and minimum expectations yet the current realities may not reflect that. Most of the frustrations on here is proof of that and every analysis is from that emotive position of disempowerment. Post after post you see the pattern is present and all sorts of reasons are given to back it up.

I have accepted the reality of the situation. I understand the earlier season rot. I think the manager and players have. This has opened up a new impetus for them to do something constructive to change the rot. Since Chelsea at home we have turned that corner. When Arteta came in and won the FA Cup and recruited for the new season, the majority as you said were looking at TOP 4. I agree. I was looking at a clear plan , a structure and a way forward by a new manager to be able to project were we can finish. How the club backs him with new players etc This is what gets you into a TOP 4 aspirations and credentials. Not the fact I am an emotive Arsenal fan and think we should be top 4. Especially with the likes of United , Chelsea , City , Liverpool ....then Leicester , Sp**s tec... It has taken us what is has to get here. There is indeed a plan now and the way we play is testament to that. To get here every manager needs to try , change things , move systems , win some , lose some and come out with a structure that works. Klopp did recently as he defined his team we know today. Even Pep with his money had to learn from his mistakes to build a formidable team. It was never going to be a snap with the finger with Arteta.

What is our currently reality and where is the proof we are heading to the right direction. Enough to be able to start building the consensus for us to believe we have a chance in the top 4 ? This is not based on emotive signings like you mentioned over the summer. From December since we improved we are the 4th best team. Only City and United have scored more than we have during that period. We have the second best defence behind City. These are patterns that show progress. We rotated the team and delivered a very mature performance AWAY at LIECESTER who beat us on home. Pepe and Willian were our best players. Who would have imagined that? Saka and Auba celebrating as subs while we are 3-1 , coming back from an early setback goal.

Again this is about measured expectations vs reality. The League table is not Arsenal territory. Agreed. We know and understand why. However we see and know where we are heading. Sp**s and Saints were top at one stage. Talking about capitulation , even Liverpool did capitulate as we watched the steady rise from City, already written off at one stage.

Iceman10

Established Member
I wonder if Arteta will use Barca's interest in him to twist the board's arm into getting what he wants. I'm still not sure about him and if he can do the dirty on Pep to join us, we should be alert to other available managers just in case.

Hopefully he has learned from last summer because he had leverage and goodwill from fans after the FA Cup win but his public comments were generally of being happy with what he was being given instead of pushing for more.

Iceman10

Established Member
I don't think they'll be many fans backing Arteta at the end of next year if we finish 8th-9th or whatever.

Fans have differing degrees of patience with managers but there has to be a limit somewhere.

Finishing midtable after 2.5 years would be unacceptable to me and I'd 100% back him being sacked, as would most current Arteta supporters I believe.

The aim next season should be top 4 along with a continuation of our improved style of play.

If we finish midtable, out of Europa, the board keeps him on and give him only a small transfer budget I would not be happy with any of that at all but I would still only hope for Top 6-8 the following season at best. At that point focus would squarely have to be on owners and board more than the manager I think, who would just be a scapegoat, whoever was in that position. I’m hoping the owners have a contingency plan to enable a decent budget if we fall out of EL, and I also think right now we’re back in a position after the weekend game of being in with a decent shout of Top 6 anyway.

Finesse

If we finish midtable, out of Europa, the board keeps him on and give him only a small transfer budget I would not be happy with any of that at all but I would still only hope for Top 6-8 the following season at best. At that point focus would squarely have to be on owners and board more than the manager I think, who would just be a scapegoat, whoever was in that position. I’m hoping the owners have a contingency plan to enable a decent budget if we fall out of EL, and I also think right now we’re back in a position after the weekend game of being in with a decent shout of Top 6 anyway.

Arteta as things stand is here at least for next season. His transfer budget is going to be around what is was last summer if not less. He will have to sell to raise money to buy. We have not made any money at all due to the pandemic to warrant a huge kitty. The loan we took was funnelled into operations. We do not have an owner who throws money at the team. These are facts. No need to hope for anything else.

The team needs a RB , a striker if we don't keep Laca , a playmaker if we don't keep MO , a LB to deputise for KT. Considering we keep the key players currently in the books and recall Guendouzi and Saliba . ( would be great additions considering we could cash in on Lucas , Willock and Niles)

Of course we would not have the funds to pull this off. Edu will have to wheel and deal , sell to raise funds and bring on what we need. I have no expectations of some big backing. This is what I expect even if I like it or not.

Iceman10

Established Member
Arteta as things stand is here at least for next season. His transfer budget is going to be around what is was last summer if not less. He will have to sell to raise money to buy. We have not made any money at all due to the pandemic to warrant a huge kitty. The loan we took was funnelled into operations. We do not have an owner who throws money at the team. These are facts. No need to hope for anything else.

The team needs a RB , a striker if we don't keep Laca , a playmaker if we don't keep MO , a LB to deputise for KT. Considering we keep the key players currently in the books and recall Guendouzi and Saliba . ( would be great additions considering we could cash in on Lucas , Willock and Niles)

Of course we would not have the funds to pull this off. Edu will have to wheel and deal , sell to raise funds and bring on what we need. I have no expectations of some big backing. This is what I expect even if I like it or not.

I think this all needs to be translated to expectation for PL table position (2021/22 season). Was just saying without an 80m budget I don’t think there can be any expectation of challenging for Top 4, only Top 6-8. This is just acceptance of club decline. I don’t know if many here are ok with that, but all I’m saying is if they want more their focus does need to be more on the owners/board, largely powerless as fans, but with hope of some sort of takeover down the line. Especially if we are not in Europe, while most of Leicester, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Spuds, Everton, and West Ham will be able to consolidate with revenues coming in from CL/EL football.

Finesse

I think this all needs to be translated to expectation for PL table position (2021/22 season). Was just saying without an 80m budget I don’t think there can be any expectation of challenging for Top 4, only Top 6-8. This is just acceptance of club decline. I don’t know if many here are ok with that, but all I’m saying is if they want more their focus does need to be more on the owners/board, largely powerless as fans, but with hope of some sort of takeover down the line. Especially if we are not in Europe, while most of Leicester, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Spuds, Everton, and West Ham will be able to consolidate with revenues coming in from CL/EL football.

Agreed. However do you think 1) Arsenal had enough investment on the pitch this summer 2) Manager had enough time and resources to develop his own system and player profiles to warrant any expectations of Top 4 for this current campaign? I mean objectively based on what our rivals invested and their level of preparedness ( settled manager , squad depth etc)

Iceman10

Established Member
Agreed. However do you think 1) Arsenal had enough investment on the pitch this summer 2) Manager had enough time and resources to develop his own system and player profiles to warrant any expectations of Top 4 for this current campaign? I mean objectively based on what our rivals invested and their level of preparedness ( settled manager , squad depth etc)

No, my expectations were Top 6-8, especially based on where we ended up last season despite the knockout tournament (FAC) win. Was mainly responding to a comment above talking about challenging for Top 4 next season. That is not possible in my view, borderline if we re-qualify for EL, we probably need CL football/revenues by winning EL, or the owners/board find a way to inject cash despite our financial losses.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

It's almost like they've been reading my posts... hmm.
Yeah same sort of thing I've been saying. Arteta won't necessarily make us world beaters but he's going to do some very necessary dirty work that has been needed and festering for a few years now. A lot of people on this forum look at things from a season to season basis, without realising where the club is right now. Thank god they're not in charge, they would have brought in Moyes/LvG/Mourinho/Emery type managers and delay our improvement. Anyone who thought we would be bringing in an Allegri are badly out of touch of where we are right now. Top managers want an opportunity to win things or achieve things, we were a couple seasons off this going into this season.

And there is no point judging him before he even gets a good amount of his players in. People will throw names like Willian at me but in reality he was a free transfer and Partey has hardly played. After that he basically only had Gabriel and cliques of deadwood to deal with. We've gotten rid of a lot of them and hopefully more will follow in the summer. We will then have to bring in players to plug our gaps in problem areas. So I will start judging Arteta after that. My expectation is to be hovering close (or hopefully within) to the CL spots next season, with improvement in our attacking football.

Last edited:

Kysus

Squad rotation is key now as it is one of our big strengths and a lot of teams will fall apart physicially.

After City and Chelsea we probably have the most squad depth. It's one of the reasons City is that dominant right now and pool is falling apart a little bit.

Really hope the freshening up vs Leicester was not just an exception, we need to rotate more for sure.

Finesse

Squad rotation is key now as it is one of our big strengths and a lot of teams will fall apart physicially.

After City and Chelsea we probably have the most squad depth. It's one of the reasons City is that dominant right now and pool is falling apart a little bit.

Really hope the freshening up vs Leicester was not just an exception, we need to rotate more for sure.

I am afraid not.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If the teams around us hire excellent proven coaches like Tuchel etc. and buy expensive players that are coveted around Europe we will struggle unless we are lucky and have struck gold with Arteta and with our upcoming buys. It will for sure be an uphill battle. Think we simply have to get used to that situation. Thank God eg that ManU are okay with OGS as manager and that American guy handling transfers.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Yeah same sort of thing I've been saying. Arteta won't necessarily make us world beaters but he's going to do some very necessary dirty work that has been needed and festering for a few years now. A lot of people on this forum look at things from a season to season basis, without realising where the club is right now. Thank god they're not in charge, they would have brought in Moyes/LvG/Mourinho/Emery type managers and delay our improvement. Anyone who thought we would be bringing in an Allegri are badly out of touch of where we are right now. Top managers want an opportunity to win things or achieve things, we were a couple seasons off this going into this season.

And there is no point judging him before he even gets a good amount of his players in. People will throw names like Willian at me but in reality he was a free transfer and Partey has hardly played. After that he basically only had Gabriel and cliques of deadwood to deal with. We've gotten rid of a lot of them and hopefully more will follow in the summer. We will then have to bring in players to plug our gaps in problem areas. So I will start judging Arteta after that. My expectation is to be hovering close (or hopefully within) to the CL spots next season, with improvement in our attacking football.
Good post! Couldn’t agree more!

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

If the teams around us hire excellent proven coaches like Tuchel etc. and buy expensive players that are coveted around Europe we will struggle unless we are lucky and have struck gold with Arteta and with our upcoming buys. It will for sure be an uphill battle. Think we simply have to get used to that situation. Thank God eg that ManU are okay with OGS as manager and that American guy handling transfers.

The main difference between us & United is that their immense coffers means they can still buy their way out of trouble & have more players with considerable resale value than we currently do.

Woodward's idiocy is a factor in their misfortunes but it will not be a definitive one in years to come when they get their recruitment right.

Sadly, the same can not be said for us.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Amazing what fluking your way to an FA cup win can do for your managerial career.
Its more down to rebuilding not about winning the cup we can't change managers every 1-2 years it's create more mess than rebuilding because every new manager would want different set of players and that mean players that Arteta bought them will be the victims also new manager might not want to trust youngsters. imo give Arteta 2-3 years of rebuilding let's get new players get the system right after that you can make change. The fa cup help but it's not major factor.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
What i dislike about mikel he more stubborn then i thought putting faith on Willian during bad run not changing the system its one of reasons we finishing outside top 4 we left ourselves well behind. Anyway now that he found the right system it's just matter to get players that fit into it RB CM is left to complete it

Latest posts

Top Bottom