Mikel Arteta: Mid-table Mikel

Should Mikel Be Criticised For Giving Willian £200k a week?

• Yes

• No

• Mikel Knows Best and He 👏 Doesn't 👏 Owe 👏 You 👏 An 👏 Explanation

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mrs Bergkamp

Established Member
Trusted
That is true, apparantly had a clause in his contract that he could go back being a physio again too!
Yes, I read that too. Shows the modesty of the man. Brought through Charlie George and other young players too and laid a foundation that would last 25 years on terms of future managers and giving youth a chance.

Blood on the Tracks

How? They're spending more and signing more expensive players themselves.

There's a ceiling to how much quality any club can have in real terms. Man City are always close to that ceiling. They have a WC squad. It's hard to improve on, beyond small margins, however much money they spend.

Doubling their expenditure isn't going to improve them anywhere near as much as would happen with a West Ham / Aston Villa etc who are much further away from that ceiling and with much more room for growth.

Last edited:

Harz

You'd think this will be even more visible in the coming season. Many clubs struggle to make ends meet, while a few clubs with owners that pour money into the clubs will be able to capitalize on that.
That's what Abramovich tried to go for after a few silent seasons but thankfully most of their signings flopped thus far

say yes

Not Trusted
Trusted
There's a ceiling to how much talent any club can have in real terms. Man City are always close to that ceiling. They have a WC squad. It's hard to improve on, beyond small margins.

Doubling their expenditure isn't going to improve them anywhere near as much as would happen with a West Ham / Aston Villa etc who are much further away from that ceiling and with much more room for growth.
Yep exactly. It's why this conversation is so inane. The value of each £ decreases as you add them up.

They both look the same on a spreadsheet (+£20m), but:
- The average difference between a £60m player and an £80m player is negligible.
- The average difference between a free player and a £20m player is massive.

Simply put, having an extra £100m to spend will improve a club like Burnley much more than it will a club like Man City. It's why the league is becoming tougher as the smaller clubs get richer - even if the big clubs get richer too. They've just got much greater room to grow.

Mrs Bergkamp

Established Member
Trusted
Steve Round deserves more respect than this...I think.
You're probably right. Nothing playing career and an early intro into coaching at average teams apart from Utd. Bit of a grey man for me but lots of assistant experience which is nice

Harz

Yep exactly. It's why this conversation is so inane. The value of each £ decreases as you add them up.

They both look the same on a spreadsheet (+£20m), but:
- The average difference between a £60m player and an £80m player is negligible.
- The average difference between a free player and a £20m player is massive.

Simply put, having an extra £100m to spend will improve a club like Burnley much more than it will a club like Man City. It's why the league is becoming tougher as the smaller clubs get richer - even if the big clubs get richer too. They've just got much greater room to grow.
Marginal returns/utility is a tough concept to internalize for a surprisingly large portion of the public

American_Gooner

Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so.
We’ve spent a record breaking amount over the 3 years and it’s been mostly poorly spent and managed. We’re midtable because of mismanagement. We finished 5th and reached a European final with mainly a Wenger team.
What does that have to do with clubs lower down the league spending more?

hydrofluoric acid

Many Men Wish Death Upon Me
- Disagree that the league is weaker, it's stronger now than I've ever seen it and getting stronger still each season. Money talks. Big 4 is now clearly a big 6, or even a big 7 with Leicester. Clubs like Everton and Villa spending heavily, Wolves with their connections etc. Simply put the PL's got a middle-order even your boys Axar and Ashwin would struggle with.

Almost like people are willingly ignoring that the Champions have lost 6 home games in a row now. That doesn't happen unless there is a lot of quality in the league.

Rex Banter

Got Swerved By Gallas
Trusted
That's what Abramovich tried to go for after a few silent seasons but thankfully most of their signings flopped thus far

They have capitalised. They’ve transformed youth football in this country.

So many talented prospects in England will have come through Chelsea’s academy at some point. They’re chucking crazy money at the families of kids aged 8-11 who are often in dire positions themselves and desperate for anything.

Also in terms of the loan scheme with Vitesse and others while KDB and Lukaku are the famous misses it did help them with Abraham and Mount.

kash2

Obsessed With Jury
things that arteta did which make him culpable

1. spent half the season pretending that #10 was not needed tactically.
2. forgot to train players to try something else, when opposition is targeting the playing out from back.
3. Not still having figured out his best front 3 or CB pairing.
4. Focused on slow but methodical buildup play instead of swift transitions and attacks.

say yes

Not Trusted
Trusted
Almost like people are willingly ignoring that the Champions have lost 6 home games in a row now. That doesn't happen unless there is a lot of quality in the league.
Don't know why people think that 2010-2017 period was a good moment for English football. Awful record in Europe, Fergie coasting to titles with his worst ever teams before he retired, Sp**s getting close to the title multiple times, Leicester actually winning a title. The quality of the league was piss-poor compared to the naughties and what we're seeing now.

GDeep™

Dissociating
Utd have been poor since Ferguson left, when was the last time Chelsea had a top team? Liverpool have had 2 good seasons. Leicester won the league while Wenger was here, Wolves have had 1 good season in the PL, rumour now is that Nuno could go.

Where are all these tough teams and great football? PL, CL and international football has never been this poor a level. I said this last season too.

OnlyOne

Hated for Telling the Tuchel Truth
Trusted

Absolutely incredible posting. You're slowly becoming one of my favourite posters in these last few months! Bravo!

Legend14

I think managers need to get more time. I'm not really invested anymore in if the manager should be sacked or not or what manager should come in next. I let you drama queens fight about that. But until we are ready to give the manager 3-5 years with a lot of up and downs to shape the team and work it, nothing will change.
3-5 years? I am in agreement that you give managers time, but that would be an eternity if the manager is not moving the team forward. Also, elite clubs have higher expectation of the manager’s impact.

Mohamed7

I don't know where to post this but we have become an absolute joke, laughing stock. We sacrificed so much for the new stadium yet provided no advantage, certainly didn't give us any league title.

Now every pub team is building one and we are 10th in the league with an extremely inexperienced manager.

Riou

A-M's Resident Jobber
Trusted
Moving into a rookie stadium, with no past experience of having a football team in it, killed us really.

Should have stayed at Highbury, it had the experience, it had the qualifications of winning titles...such a shame :(

Iceman10

Moving into a rookie stadium, with no past experience of having a football team in it, killed us really.

Should have stayed at Highbury, it had the experience, it had the qualifications of winning titles...such a shame :(

This ignores that the club was in an identity crisis in the mid-1990s, not going anywhere, until the club made moves with Rioch, Bergkamp, and then Wenger. Same old same old, like quite a few here seemingly wanting to forget that we had a manager in between Wenger and Arteta.

The stadium is not the problem. It is poor executive management that squandered our step up in finances when the Adidas deals took over from the long term Nike one. Poor buys, contract mismanagement, etc.

Match Prediction

• Arsenal Win

Votes: 36 87.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Fulham Win

Votes: 2 4.9%