Mikel Arteta: Mid-table Mikel

Do you think that Arsenal should continue with Arteta for the next season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Surprised by the amount of negativity towards Arteta. Very inexperienced manager, handed an absolute mess of a squad in one of the most difficult times for football in general in recent memory.

There's been some clear mistakes, no doubt. More will happen - this was always a part of the package with such a young manager. As long as the squad believes in him, he should be backed. There's clear potential here and to me it still seems worth it to see it through.

It's not like you're on the precipice of a return to greatness and Arteta is holding you back. Your owner barely invests any money and the squad is overall pretty damn poor, relying on raw prospect to see you through difficult games. Doesn't exactly help your marquee signing this season has been injured a ton.

We were playing some horrendous stuff not long ago and battling relegation with the same manager that now has us pushing for CL spots. These things take time and I'm as guilty as anyone when it comes to making kneejerky reactions - just look at the West Ham thread. The manager he replaced has Villareal sitting 5th and is in the semis for the EL - the problems are deeper than Arteta.

Again, if the players (the players you care about at least) are still backing him, then honestly you should try to do the same.

Melquiades

Every other coach only spoke out at press conferences. Arteta didn't have one yet.

I mean what's your point here?

No kidding. We've seen tons of comments from certain teams because they've had games in the last 2 days and had to provide media access. Arsenal are in a rare down week so that isn't happening, and they certainly aren't going to call press conferences unnecessarily to add more fuel to this fire. Criticizing Arteta for any of this in any way is a massive reach.

Iceman10

Arteta could have bought himself a lot of sympathy from the fans if he'd spoken like Pep or Klopp against ESL. He's shown his colors.

His utter silence speaks volumes, so based on the **** season we had, if we don't win Europa, he should be sacked.

No questions asked.
No surprise in that because the Kroenkes want compliant managers while Pep and Klopp are strong managers who can stand up against club owners to an extent. Glad you feel like that about Europa and Arteta though, I'm happy to fully align with your stance and judgment, have been pretty much at that point already without unequivocally saying it.

grange

His point is he had an opportunity to take a stance and earn some support from the fans in a rather tough season. He decided to hide and "evaluate" instead.

Why would Arteta waste time addressing entitled fans who hate him and want him fired?

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted
Why would Arteta waste time addressing entitled fans who hate him and want him fired?
Massive generalization. Do you actually think the majority of the fan base want him gone and hate him? Either way, he's the manager of the club. It's his duty to speak on club affairs. He wasn't required to comment on this, but it was an opportunity for him to make a stance and galvanize the club and supporters.

mirrorstare

This has nothing to do with fans. The values of the club were at stake, he failed and all we got is a ridiculous apology that made us look like a small club willing to alienate everyone out of simple fears.

Maybe that's also the reason he didn't speak, he fears losing his precious and entirely undeserved at this point job security. It's disappointing for his already terrible standards, our only consolations were a Wenger comment, accurate as always, and Bellerin quoting Wenger in vain.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator
His point is he had an opportunity to take a stance and earn some support from the fans in a rather tough season. He decided to hide and "evaluate" instead.
Exactly.

And I am sure he will have prepared a "well written evaluation of why we did the right thing to not get involved". His Athletic shills are already churning out well timed "leaks"

While the reality was that were it not for the massive fan pressure and outrage across the football world, we were full steam ahead into this despicable project.

dashsnow17

Sounds Like Hairspray
I don't even know what to think now, now it's like if we get knocked out of the EL by Villareal and we get no European football next season i'm like "Yes boys! Sporting merit! Fair competition! Yes, lads! 🥳" but also "Well, this is f*cking sh*t :confused:"

Taneruit

Exactly.

And I am sure he will have prepared a well written evaluation of why we did the right thing to not get involved. His Athletic shills are already churning our well timed "leaks"

While the reality was that were it not for the massive fan pressure and outrage across the football world, we were full steam ahead into this despicable project.
This has nothing to do with fans. The values of the club were at stake, he failed and all we got is a ridiculous apology that made us look like a small club willing to alienate everyone out of simple fears.

Maybe that's also the reason he didn't speak, he fears losing his precious and entirely undeserved at this point job security. It's disappointing for his already terrible standards, our only consolations were a Wenger comment, accurate as always, and Bellerin quoting Wenger in vain.
No, he didn't. He said that at a time when the super league wasn't even announced without knowing anything final about it. What was he supposed to say when nobody was informed at that point?

My point still stands. Every other manager only spoke out at press conferences. They didn't do social media posts. Arteta only has his one today.

You hold him to a different standard and read things into where there are none just because you dislike him. That is insane.

And don't come at me with *He knew everything*. Klopp didn't know. Mourinho didn't know. Guardiola didn't know. You really expect the most inexperienced of them all to be some sort of ringleader and the likes of Klopp, Mourinho and Guardiola to be sheep that got played?

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator
Think some posters on AM have gone so deep into their Arteta-out hole they have long ago lost most sense of perspective. Now it is just keep digging regardless of issue.
It's not some imaginary situation (AM have gone so deep into their Arteta-out hole they have long ago lost most sense of perspective), it is reality.

It's almost end of April and we're 9th on the table (only on merit of more games played).
That's midtable level.

Therefore if he fails to win Europa, he should be sacked.

glitchform

No surprise in that because the Kroenkes want compliant managers while Pep and Klopp are strong managers who can stand up against club owners to an extent. Glad you feel like that about Europa and Arteta though, I'm happy to fully align with your stance and judgment, have been pretty much at that point already without unequivocally saying it.

Is that so? Might I remind you of Pep at Barca?