• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

GDeep™

League is very weak
Could be right, mate...but at least he looks physically capable to play in this league, that's something few of our recent centre backs have had...looking forward to seeing him play for us.
He has the physical tools, but those will have to be further sharpened, physically the PL is on another level. Even Drogba had to hit the gym after coming to Chelsea ffs.

You guys are massively under rating the amount of work Saliba will have to put in, even if he’s mega talented he’ll be 3/4 years away from becoming a top cb.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He has the physical tools, but those will have to be further sharpened, physically the PL is on another level. Even Drogba had to hit the gym after coming to Chelsea ffs.

You guys are massively under rating the amount of work Saliba will have to put in, even if he’s mega talented he’ll be 3/4 years away from becoming a top cb.

I expect him to be up and down, he will be 19 and is a defender, which is probably the toughest position for a youngster...will give him time though, as I will be happy just to have a centre back that can run and is tall!

GDeep™

League is very weak
I expect him to be up and down, he will be 19 and is a defender, which is probably the toughest position for a youngster...will give him time though, as I will be happy just to have a centre back that can run and is tall!
I’m happy too that we have him, but I know he’s years away from being anything to bank on. Even Ferdinand was making mistakes until he was 24 and he’s the greatest CB I have ever seen.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
In not sure what parallels you found? I see Kos who made a natural progression/development from club to club before eventually landing in a big league with a top club, where he continued to progress and became a french international. Had an outstanding season in Ligue 1 before we signed him.

Mari on the other hand is pushing 27 and has never established himself anywhere, and had to take the really unconventional route of moving to South America. Even now, it’s not like we’ve secured him, we’re just taking him on loan too.

Kos had just one season of top flight football when Arsenal signed him at the age of 25. Before that he played 2nd and 3rd division in France. Maybe a natural progression but not an overly impressive one for any outsider. He was definitely a leftfield signing for Arsenal.

It is an unconventional route of moving to South America, but going by reports he did establish himself at Flamengo and won trophies with them.

Both are in their mid twenties, both had rather unspectacular careers, both didn't/won't cost a fortune.

Mari doesn't make me super excited, but I wouldn't rule him out being a success here on the grounds of him being 26 and not having had a massive career yet, becasue well to me this is kind of similar to Koscielny. But of course it raises doubt that after Girona, Breda and La Coruna he only really established himself in Brazil.

Balboa

Even Ferdinand was making mistakes until he was 24 and he’s the greatest CB I have ever seen.

nintchdbpict000001082144-e1495126224136.jpg

Riou

I’m happy too that we have him, but I know he’s years away from being anything to bank on. Even Ferdinand was making mistakes until he was 24 and he’s the greatest CB I have ever seen.

Come on mate, show some biased loyalty to your team ;)

Riou

Only watched the end of Adams, even then a limited amount. While guys like Campbell and Rio I got to follow their whole career.

Feel Sol is very underrated outside Arsenal, should be mentioned in the same ranks as a Rio or Terry, never seems to though.

Titan at his peak though, from 2001-2005 there were few better, was always great for England too.

...love the way he dispossess Robben at 1:30, just brushes him off!

Last edited:

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
No they aren’t, one is a baby for a CB and the other is a journeyman. Per/Kos were French and German internationals in the peak of their powers.

Phenomenal phenomenal decline.
That why I said, on paper. I'm as sentimental as anyone but let's not pretend that Kos would have started every WC game for France but for injury. He must also be haunted by Eder at the Euros. Per launched Kondogbia's brief career and was subbed during the business end of Germany's WC win. I'm being a bit harsh and I loved Kos and respected Per. The search for Campbell and Adams goes on. That's the real gold standard. I just hope we've got a decent partnership next season.

TornadoTed

Established Member
The thing with our squad is that it is weighted very heavily towards potential at the moment. The problem is we are lacking in experienced players who can perform consistently week in, week out in the here and now.

We are in a huge transition phase with the youngest squad and most inexperienced manager in the Premiership. The likes of Saliba, Tierney, Saka, Willock, Torreira, Martinelli, Pepe and Nelson have high ceilings, as does Mikel. We could have a very good side in 2-4 years time but a lot of things need to fall into place. We need spot on recruitment around our talented young players.

I am excited about what could be but also worried as there is a lot that can go wrong with players between the stages of 'having huge potential' and 'the finished article' The luxury City have for example if that they can afford mistakes, if a player doesn't work out they can simply buy another and not really give it a second thought. We don't have that luxury, we need a very high strike rate with our young players and signings. It is unrealistic to expect all of our prospects or signings to be a success but we need most to be.

I like Mikel and I really want him to be a success here but I am worried that whatever he does if he doesn't have a fair slice of luck he could fail regardless.

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Ornstein: "From a tactical point of view, from an emotional point of view, I heard he (Arteta) gave an unbelievable speech before the Man United game on New year's day."

Ornstein: "Speaking to staff around the club, they're talking about the level of analysis they're doing, work they're doing on behavior on and off the pitch."

Ornstein: "They've showed the players a number of videos/clips from matches where has a player has given the ball away/made a mistake and several players throwing their arms in the air and being disgusted with teammates and they've tried to cut that out."

Ornstein: "They've said 'look, you need to go for war with each other, you need to be there for each other, whether it is in good moments or bad, whether there are mistakes or good passages of play, you stick together and the body language and absolutely everything is important."

Ornstein on the 2 names that have stood out and been most impressive: 1. David Luiz - 'An absolutely incredible and impeccable force on and off the pitch around the club.' 2. Mesut Özil - 'Apparently training fantastically well every single day.'

Ornstein: "I hear from so many people at Arsenal that Arteta has everything in his locker to succeed, that this could be a really special journey."

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

I've probably missed, gone by everyones answers on here but Im just keen to know, if Mikel is eventually given enough funds to purchase his players by the Kroenkes or hopefully by a new owner if he (Kroenke) eventually sells, is Mikel the right person & capable of taking us back up to challenge for the title, even just the CL top 4? I'll say yes but it will take him time though, more then 1-2 transfer windows.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom