• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I agree we have to give him time to check what's working and what needs changing but how much time to see that Laca & Özil need benching? I would say we need to see changes next game vs Newcastle. I would like to see a front 3 of Martinelli Auba Pepe, and Ceballos or even Willock in place of Özil.

This is a valid point tbf...Arteta has been atm, disappointingly stubborn with the 4-2-3-1 formation, thought he would go more 4-3-3...still time for him to fix it though...

Lucas
Willock-Xhaka
Pepe-Auba-Gabby
...would like to see this against Newcastle...maybe Ceballos for Xhaka, but with Dani not being here next year I don't blame Mikel for not playing him, as the rest of this year is about preparing for next year really.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
This is a valid point tbf...Arteta has been atm, disappointingly stubborn with the 4-2-3-1 formation, thought he would go more 4-3-3...still time for him to fix it though...

Lucas
Willock-Xhaka
Pepe-Auba-Gabby
...would like to see this against Newcastle...maybe Ceballos for Xhaka, but with Dani not being here next year I don't blame Mikel for not playing him, as the rest of this year is about preparing for next year really.

I'd be happy with that, I really like Willock and I get your point about Ceballos not being here next season. Having Torreira behind would also help the defence. The reason I feel we should stick with that front 3 is because they all have pace and have the potential to be a very dynamic attack with them all scoring.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The only criticism I have so far is his persistence with Lacazette and (to a greater extent) Özil. Why is he continuing with what isn't working?

He hasn't had time to implement anything substantial. He has had game, recover, prep for next match, recover etc. It's a big two weeks as he has the opportunity to coach and maybe make changes. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I think Tierney will change everything. It allows a shift to 4 3 3 and to take Özil and Xhaka out. I have a feeling Arteta will lean on experience though.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The only criticism I have so far is his persistence with Lacazette and (to a greater extent) Özil. Why is he continuing with what isn't working?
He doesn’t have many options. After Özil and Laca you’re asking guys like Martinelli and Willock to give you something. Add to this that Ceballos has been injured, Pepe out of form, Saka playing LB.

With Laca you’re hoping he’ll score one and go on a run. Özil has been tremendous in training apparently.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Özil is the only one who can do anything with the ball, rest of the guys are idiots. We’re a dead team until he gets the ball.
It's true that he's a level above most of them technically. He still offers almost nothing at the moment though.

Willock is young, raw and naive, but look at the way he started the move for Saka's goal the other day. I want to see more of that. Someone who can force a situation while we are struggling.

MikeVinna

Established Member
It's true that he's a level above most of them technically. He still offers almost nothing at the moment though.

Willock is young, raw and naive, but look at the way he started the move for Saka's goal the other day. I want to see more of that. Someone who can force a situation while we are struggling.

Willocks had games where he looked worse than Özil ever has. Cant rely on him as our main creator, regardless of one good FA cup game.

zilfy

Özil is the only one who can do anything with the ball, rest of the guys are idiots. We’re a dead team until he gets the ball.
Being able to do something with the ball and actually doing it are two very different things. When was the last time he actually looked dangerous with the ball?

I'd pick one or two of those other "idiots" anyday over the German zombie

GDeep™

League is very weak
Being able to do something with the ball and actually doing it are two very different things. When was the last time he actually looked dangerous with the ball?

I'd pick one or two of those other "idiots" anyday over the German zombie
Like Willock you mean? Who has been rubbish f0r 3 months?

zilfy

As opposed to Özil, who's been useless for 2 years?

Most players were useless during that 3 month period anyways. Hopefully he can recreate the form he showed at the beginning of the season.

But anyway I'd rather have him back up to ceballos (in a 4 3 3), who I think needs a proper shot at it, regardless of whether hes here next season or not. If he can help us get into europa or win some cups then it doesn't matter that hes not here long term- he would have served his purpose.

I would also love to see Pepe given a shot at ten. I'm aware that's one out of left field and a probably a discussion for another day

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

As opposed to Özil, who's been useless for 2 years?

Most players were useless during that 3 month period anyways. Hopefully he can recreate the form he showed at the beginning of the season.

But anyway I'd rather have him back up to ceballos (in a 4 3 3), who I think needs a proper shot at it, regardless of whether hes here next season or not. If he can help us get into europa or win some cups then it doesn't matter that hes not here long term- he would have served his purpose.

I would also love to see Pepe given a shot at ten. I'm aware that's one out of left field and a probably a discussion for another day

Find it a bit amusing that we discuss Özil in this thread also. As if the Özil thread wasn't bad enough... Fact is that Özil is an attacking player who isn't involved in goals anymore. His defensive abilities we know all to well are almost non-existent. He does jog quite a distance during a game though which is good for his health as he gets older. Good circulation for that old heart...

Regardless, thanks for trying to provide some sanity here at AM. With regards to Özil it is sorely needed at times.

PS. Listened to the Handbrake Off podcast. Funny how all ex-Arsenal players that come on there don't rate Özil at all anymore. Kevin Campbell was on in the last one. He was just as down on Özil as Lee Dixon. But here on AM at least we have our pro-Özil keyboard warriors.

zilfy

Find it a bit amusing that we discuss Özil in this thread also. As if the Özil thread wasn't bad enough... Fact is that Özil is an attacking player who isn't involved in goals anymore. His defensive abilities we know all to well are almost non-existent. He does jog quite a distance during a game though which is good for his health as he gets older. Good circulation for that old heart...

Regardless, thanks for trying to provide some sanity here at AM. With regards to Özil it is sorely needed at times.

PS. Listened to the Handbrake Off podcast. Funny how all ex-Arsenal players that come on there don't rate Özil at all anymore. Kevin Campbell was on in the last one. He was just as down on Özil as Lee Dixon. But here on AM at least we have our pro-Özil keyboard warriors.
It's amazing that anyone at all still rates him tbh. It's nothing personal, I would want nothing more than for him to rediscover his old form, but we've waited long enough to know that that won't happen.

I'm very excited to hear that Mikel wants Maddison, he has that X factor that this team so desperately needs. It also signals that Mikel is looking for an Özil replacement in the summer- I couldn't stand another season of Mesut stinking up the Emirates with his spiritless performances. Maddison wont come cheap but he's young and would be worth the same (probably more) if we wanted to sell in 3 or 4 years time so it would be money well spent

ksarp

Enough about Özil. In other news....

Since Arteta joined Arsenal, there are only two teams in the league with a better defensive record than us. Liverpool and Spuds.

Certainly something to be pleased about.

That's progress, you build from the back. His 2 3 transitional setup has helped so we always have 5 in defense not to far from the action, which cuts of counters.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

It's amazing that anyone at all still rates him tbh. It's nothing personal, I would want nothing more than for him to rediscover his old form, but we've waited long enough to know that that won't happen.

I'm very excited to hear that Mikel wants Maddison, he has that X factor that this team so desperately needs. It also signals that Mikel is looking for an Özil replacement in the summer- I couldn't stand another season of Mesut stinking up the Emirates with his spiritless performances. Maddison wont come cheap but he's young and would be worth the same (probably more) if we wanted to sell in 3 or 4 years time so it would be money well spent
I personally am quite keen on Grealish if Villa goes down. We might be able to snap him up a bit under what he would go for otherwise. What I have seen of him, which I have to admit isn't all that much, but he is always in the highlights and does have something about him. A midfield with him and Guendouzi would be just epic. Other teams would just hate us from that get go.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Enough about Özil. In other news....

Since Arteta joined Arsenal, there are only two teams in the league with a better defensive record than us. Liverpool and Spuds.

Certainly something to be pleased about.
I really like that we are not leaking shots and goals. It's something to build on, a foundation. If Laca and Auba can find their scoring boots we could be rolling soon.

TornadoTed

Established Member
I’m the opposite, think we need results and get back into top 4 quickly.

Our financial model means our spending power decreases every year we miss CL football. It’s not like the NBA where you can tank and get rewarded with a high draft pick.

The worse you do in the PL the harder it gets year on year. The squad is filled with holes and ageing players who we need to replace with limited funds.

CL football is massive for us, it’ll be four seasons without it if we don’t get in this year, with Sp**s and others moving ahead of us irs looking troubling. It’s not fair but Arteta needs to find a way to win quickly.

I agree with you, next season we need to be getting back in the top 4, I was thinking more about the short term. This season was pretty much done by November so I am not too concerned about League results between now and the Summer. Of course if we could somehow string some form together and win the Europa it would be huge and could potentially take a couple of years off of the rebuild.

Top Bottom