• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

We need a prime Özil, but he died 3 years ago. A 2020 Özil isn't the answer.
I watched us yesterday losing 0-1 and unable to even create a half chance. Not saying he should start every game. But he could contribute. I feel as the season goes on this will become more clear and people will have to dismiss Özil even more to back the manager. You have him, you paying his wages and dont want to use him even for situations like this is just weird

blaze_of_glory

Wengerball was extremely direct, Tiki Taka is "pass the ball around forever until your opposition gets so bored that they just don't bother anymore"
Yeah at the height of Wengerball, Wenger had a rule where they could only make something like 2-3 sideaways/backward passes before having to pass forward.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Wengerball was extremely direct, Tiki Taka is "pass the ball around forever until your opposition gets so bored that they just don't bother anymore"
I remember 07-12. The media/pundit were saying we pass the ball too much, not direct enough, and not shooting enough.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
People want it NOW, they want results NOW. I think the FA cup success has pushed peoples expectations up stupidly high. But you can't expect Arteta to just click his fingers and make us title contenders.

Over the course of the whole season our main challengers for top 4 will be United, Sp**s, Chelsea and probably Leicester. Thats what I'm looking at. Beating United away, something we haven't done for 15 years, is now imperative.

It's true that there's generally too much impatience among fans, that's probably always been the case. But it's also true that this current state can't go on forever.

It's not just about momentum and buy-in from fans, but from within the squad too. The FA Cup helped a lot with that, but scoring goals would help even more. A free-scoring team generates its own positivity and achieves buy-in from fans, cos they want to see more goals, and from the players cos they want to get in on the action.

Maybe if you're Burnley the players would accept sufferball cos they know it's their only option, and they're happy with it. But Arsenal players aren't going to be.

Results since Arteta's arrival have been good, he has a good win %, and players like winning obviously. But I don't know how long they're gonna stay committed to a coach if the team is scoring so few goals.

I feel like we're obsessing about results and solidity, and we've totally lost sight of the positivity that good attacking football brings. That positivity is something you can build around, and without it I think eventually everything falls apart.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
I feel like we're obsessing about results and solidity, and we've totally lost sight of the positivity that good attacking football brings. That positivity is something you can build around, and without it I think eventually everything falls apart.
Solidity is important because the main thing we should strive for is to be competitive. Under Wenger we played nice attack football but would get blown away with 4, 5, 6, and 8s at the other end. Now with Arteta we're limiting chances at the back but barely mustering anything upfront. It's not one extreme or the other. Even if we don't win games I just want to come away from a match feeling like we gave a good account of ourselves across all areas of the pitch.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I am staying quietly optimistic that Arteta will eventually try out the front 4 which against Sheffield looked really threatening for a 20m period, which gave us flashbacks to Wenger ball a little. I feel like it is the right formation to play in easy games or games vs teams who are playing quite defensively like we saw yesterday:

----------Saka---------Auba------------Pepe---------
-----------------------Willian--------------------------

In this formation both the wingers are capable of scoring goals and putting in good deliveries. The 3 players surrounding Auba can link up and take players on, covering for Aubameyang's poor ability on the ball.
Behind them we can play Partey and Ceballos who can both sit and take turns joining the attack if needed.

In more tougher games we can make this more of a solid midfield, a 3 man midfield:

------Willian-------Auba-----------Pepe----------
------Saka--------Thomas-------Ceballos-------

This would make us more hard to break down but still dynamic going forward. Saka would be in the midfield as he is capable of acting like a left sided midfield player and can even cover KT at left back if needed. If required Xhaka/Elneny could play in the place of Ceballos.

By playing these two set ups, our striker wont need to be the false 9 type and we could get the best out of our strikers. Nketiah would suddenly be more useful as an option. Martinelli would be able to play there when he returns too. Lacazette's career here starting in the PL should be over.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Solidity is important because the main thing we should strive for is to be competitive. Under Wenger we played nice attack football but would get blown away with 4, 5, 6, and 8s at the other end. Now with Arteta we're limiting chances at the back but barely mustering anything upfront. It's not one extreme or the other. Even if we don't win games I just want to come away from a match feeling like we gave a good account of ourselves across all areas of the pitch.

Well it's a matter of opinion of course, others will value solidity more highly. Ideally obviously you want both, but we're nowhere near that yet.

I'm just talking about momentum, and the fact that solidity without positivity will run out of momentum eventually.

Look at sp*rs right now. They're not very solid. They gave up a three goal lead to West Ham. But they have positivity - every game they believe they can score a good number of goals. And that positivity is going to buy Mourinho time to work on the solidity.

Goals give hope, they encourage fans to watch the following game and they encourage the players to contribute in the next game. If you have limited capacity to score goals I think it leads to a negative cycle and evntually you probably lose the solidity too, cos the players just give up.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

it shouldn't really be closed he is by far the most polarising figure at the club.

Camus

Trusted ⭐
Well it's a matter of opinion of course, others will value solidity more highly. Ideally obviously you want both, but we're nowhere near that yet.

I'm just talking about momentum, and the fact that solidity without positivity will run out of momentum eventually.

Look at sp*rs right now. They're not very solid. They gave up a three goal lead to West Ham. But they have positivity - every game they believe they can score a good number of goals. And that positivity is going to buy Mourinho time to work on the solidity.

Goals give hope, they encourage fans to watch the following game and they encourage the players to contribute in the next game. If you have limited capacity to score goals I think it leads to a negative cycle and evntually you probably lose the solidity too, cos the players just give up.

They're not prime Catenaccio or anything remotely close to that, but they're still decent defensively. 5 games in and I think they have a better balance than us.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
I watched us yesterday losing 0-1 and unable to even create a half chance. Not saying he should start every game. But he could contribute. I feel as the season goes on this will become more clear and people will have to dismiss Özil even more to back the manager. You have him, you paying his wages and dont want to use him even for situations like this is just weird

He definitely should be in and around our match day squad.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Lets give our new manager a chance eh? See how it pans out over the season? Let the past be the past? What do you think brother? Are you with me?
I'm vengeful that's what I am.

Everyone was saying that having some players out of the team would fix everything. Now it ain't getting fixed.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Kos? He would be a machine had Wenger totally ignored attacking and parked the bus like Arteta does.

Imagine Kos in a team with defenders all around him, everyone behind the ball and 3 midfielders sitting in front of him.

Disagree...Kos didn't have the mentality to play well in a low block, his mental lapses would have seen him make a mistake every game basically.

Big Wengz used him perfectly, in a high line in a ball possession team...his speed was perfect for that.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I am staying quietly optimistic that Arteta will eventually try out the front 4 which against Sheffield looked really threatening for a 20m period, which gave us flashbacks to Wenger ball a little. I feel like it is the right formation to play in easy games or games vs teams who are playing quite defensively like we saw yesterday:

In this formation both the wingers are capable of scoring goals and putting in good deliveries. The 3 players surrounding Auba can link up and take players on, covering for Aubameyang's poor ability on the ball.
Behind them we can play Partey and Ceballos who can both sit and take turns joining the attack if needed.

In more tougher games we can make this more of a solid midfield, a 3 man midfield:

This would make us more hard to break down but still dynamic going forward. Saka would be in the midfield as he is capable of acting like a left sided midfield player and can even cover KT at left back if needed. If required Xhaka/Elneny could play in the place of Ceballos.

By playing these two set ups, our striker wont need to be the false 9 type and we could get the best out of our strikers. Nketiah would suddenly be more useful as an option. Martinelli would be able to play there when he returns too. Lacazette's career here starting in the PL should be over.

You’re more hopeful than I am. Arteta seems to be a bit of a control freak. He needs to relax and enjoy football like a fan a bit.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

——Willian——Martinelli——Pepe————
———Saka———Partey——Ceballos———
—Tierney—Saliba——Gabriel——Bellerin—
——————————Leno——————————

Top Bottom