• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
why didn't they do it in the summer? they dropped him from the squad, ostracized him, and now terminated his contract

Probably because we were in a global pandemic with no end in sight at the time. You don't want to be paying off pretty much a full years contract for a guy on £92k a week in one lump sum when you don't know what your financial outlook is going to look like in 3-4 months.

I can't understand your issue with it. It was a mutually agreed termination between both Sokratis and Arsenal. If Sokratis didn't like the terms of the contract termination, it wouldn't have happened. It's not something that was forced on him.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Probably because we were in a global pandemic with no end in sight at the time. You don't want to be paying off pretty much a full years contract for a guy on £92k a week in one lump sum when you don't know what your financial outlook is going to look like in 3-4 months.

I can't understand your issue with it. It was a mutually agreed termination between both Sokratis and Arsenal. If Sokratis didn't like the terms of the contract termination, it wouldn't have happened. It's not something that was forced on him.
it's forced, more or less.

one of my former managers got this same thing. He could either voluntarily retire, or the company takes away all his projects and he would be a persona-non-grata. He dug his heels in for a few months but eventually he left through a back door. Almost forfeited his entire end of service benefits.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
it's forced, more or less.

one of my former managers got this same thing. He could either voluntarily retire, or the company takes away all his projects and he would be a persona-non-grata. He dug his heels in for a few months but eventually he left through a back door. Almost forfeited his entire end of service benefits.

A footballer signs a contract for a specific number of years and is compensated financially for that.

Sokratis was offered most of the remaining year of his contract paid up. He wasn't going to get a new contract in the summer. He agreed to those terms and is free to find a new club, which he'll probably get a nice signing on fee and bump in wages for moving on a free transfer.

I honestly fail to see how this situation didn't work out well for Sokratis. He gets to play games, which he wouldn't at Arsenal and will have an extra couple of million pounds in his pocket on top of whatever his new contract will be at his new club.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

It's 100% correct. People get stuck on 'only being 6 points back' or whatever but when you look at the actual math, chances of a top-4 finish are basically 0 and of a top-6 finish maybe 10%.

If this team could could get to 60 points and get into Europe with a #7 finish in the league (assuming us or a top-6 team wins the FA Cup) that would be a massive result given the disaster of the first 15 games of this season.

So 538 and their dodgy predictions give us a 6% chance of making top 4 which seems pretty high.

We’re now hoping for another Leicester collapse and for both Sp*rs and Chelsea not to take advantage.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arteta’s been very clever so far in exaggerating how far behind we are.

It’s not that there’s a huge gap between us and the top, it’s that there’s a huge gap between our squad profile and his preferred squad profile.

The league is poverty this season when you think that United team are at the summit and see how the likes of Chelsea and lately even Liverpool are performing.

He needs to adjust his appetite for risk a bit.

John oxford

I am pretty sure that after one year in the job he still can’t believe that he got the arsenal job. probably every morning after he wake up he’s going to the mirror and say ‘You talking to me?’

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arteta’s been very clever so far in exaggerating how far behind we are.

It’s not that there’s a huge gap between us and the top, it’s that there’s a huge gap between our squad profile and his preferred squad profile.

The league is poverty this season when you think that United team are at the summit and see how the likes of Chelsea and lately even Liverpool are performing.

He needs to adjust his appetite for risk a bit.

The thing is there are very fine margins in football. Look at Liverpool, they have dominated for 3 years and now are in a fight for top 4.

I don't think we had the players earlier in the season to be effective against most teams in the league, but now with the emergence of ESR, the return of Partey and the potential Odeegard signing, Arteta has the tools he lacked earlier in the season.

I expect us to have a strong end to the season now, it's time for Arteta to deliver.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
For all the criticism he gets I don't think Uncle Mikel gets enough praise for his ability to convince players to join our project. Everyone who's signed or extended has spoken about how Arteta was instrumental in convincing them. Did we get that much with Emery?

I just hope he's not selling them dreams. Or worse, selling us dreams. When he gets 2/3 more of "his" kind of player, if we don't see clear improvement then I think everyone will be well within their rights to doubt him as a coach. IMO, we've seen enough to persist with him long enough to put a proper stamp on this team.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

For all the criticism he gets I don't think Uncle Mikel gets enough praise for his ability to convince players to join our project. Everyone who's signed or extended has spoken about how Arteta was instrumental in convincing them. Did we get that much with Emery?
To be fair to Emery, he didn't have much to do with the signings and didn't get any of his preferred targets. Players were even let go against his wishes too.

Zaha seemed very receptive when he tapped him up, but otherwise I don't think Emery quite got the chance unless you want to count Denis Suarez.

Arteta did convince Auba though, he would have left if it was Emery so there is that. It's Arteta's club, I feel it's very different.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Emery wasn’t in control of transfers, that was Raul. Wasn’t his job to convince players as he couldn’t even ask for players he wanted. It was a different model.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Arteta did convince Auba though, he would have left if it was Emery so there is that. It's Arteta's club, I feel it's very different.
Where would Auba have left for? He signed with a mid table club with no CL or any prospect of CL. No club wanted Auba.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Where would Auba have left for? He signed with a mid table club with no CL or any prospect of CL. No club wanted Auba.

I know you think he's a sh*t baller but he did have offers from better clubs. Surprised people act like he didn't.

novar

Maybe he shows them all those hilarious Athletic articles to convince them of the project

Nobody has denied Arteta's quality at PR at marketing

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
You really think he turned down Barcelona for us? :lol:

Maybe they offered crap wages. He’s re-signed at the worst Arsenal of the last 30 years.
Why does all this other rubbish matter to you? :lol: He's a goal machine and he plays for Arsenal. That's all there is to it.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

You really think he turned down Barcelona for us? :lol:

Maybe they offered crap wages. He’s re-signed at the worst Arsenal of the last 30 years.
It's literally there in writing, you asked who wanted him and I showed you a better club than Arsenal.

My original point was TGG was right about Arteta deserving credit for clearly having a way with words with players anyways.

Maybe it is just money? Would suit my anti Arteta agenda better if Ødegaard and Auba stayed for money knowing that the manager/team is crap anyways.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why does all this other rubbish matter to you? :lol: He's a goal machine and he plays for Arsenal. That's all there is to it.
It doesn’t matter, I’m happy he’s here. Just playing forum tennis.

One of the worst footballers I have maybe ever seen at Arsenal, but like you say, great goal getter.

Nobody has defended him more than me this season, after this whole forum turned on him and tried to accuse him of becoming lazy and taking his foot off the gas since his new deal.

Sweet'n'Soulful

Yet another banned account of Jury
It doesn’t matter, I’m happy he’s here. Just playing forum tennis.

One of the worst footballers I have maybe ever seen at Arsenal, but like you say, great goal getter.

Nobody has defended him more than me this season, after this whole forum turned on him and tried to accuse him of becoming lazy and taking his foot off the gas since his new deal.
Worst seen at Arsenal :lol: If Auba's all round game was at the same level as your hair-splitting we'd going for the quad this season.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom