• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Broadly I agree with the general principle that the more money you spend the more likely you are to be successful.

It's not as simple as just spend a load of money and get yourself into number 1 net spend position and you'll win the league though. You have to spend the money wisely and there are many other variables in play too that also will affect where the side ultimately finishes. Manager quality, luck with injuries etc.
Those other variables you’re pointing to are the small things that decide which of the top 3 spending clubs will win most often. And how occasionally Sp**s, Liverpool and Arsenal will beat them. And that clearly points to how well we’ve done compared to Sp**s and Liverpool.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

At least they are British through and through London and from Arsenal academy, so they won't leave from your side. Players like Fabregas, RVP, Nasri, Sagna and etc were always going to leave to win major trophies.
What makes you think "British" equals loyalty? For the modern footballer, loyalty is a foreign concept. It's all about maximising a short career, either in terms of income or trophies. Ideally both.

mpower2540

What makes you think "British" equals loyalty? For the modern footballer, loyalty is a foreign concept. It's all about maximising a short career, either in terms of income or trophies.
Personally I don’t think players should be loyal if the situation isn’t right to maximise their talent. As I’ve gotten older I’ve realised that players come and go and it’s pointless to get attached to most of them.
There’s always talent available out there if you can find it. Becoming too attached to players is a big reason why clubs fail. They hoard their darlings until they no longer become useful, can’t sell them, or sell at a dramatically reduced price. Therefore can’t replace them adequately so just panic buy. It’s a viscous cycle that is easy to fall into (Sp**s are doing it now). Just listening to Daniel Levy banging on about how they reached the champions league final the previous year shows how blind he is to the problems they’ve got in that squad.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I'm still of the view that Arteta keeps his job until it becomes untenable. The Wolves result wasn't his fault and Villa are a good team. I think its clear we are lacking a top striker. Laca is playing well but he's never been prolific in his time at Arsenal. No idea whats happening with Auba and its a concern. We need a top striker this summer. For me its the most important position to focus on, and RB. Hopefully Ødegaard stays another season or we buy him.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
I'm still of the view that Arteta keeps his job until it becomes untenable. The Wolves result wasn't his fault and Villa are a good team. I think its clear we are lacking a top striker. Laca is playing well but he's never been prolific in his time at Arsenal. No idea whats happening with Auba and its a concern. We need a top striker this summer. For me its the most important position to focus on, and RB. Hopefully Ødegaard stays another season or we buy him.

What do you think it will take for his job to become untenable at this stage? Go on another run like we did in the autumn? Wouldn’t put it past this lot to do so with the games we have coming up.

Or do we just assess where we are at the end of the season and cut our losses accordingly?

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
What makes you think "British" equals loyalty? For the modern footballer, loyalty is a foreign concept. It's all about maximising a short career, either in terms of income or trophies. Ideally both.

I agree to an extent, but if you have a very good academy player it increases the chances of them staying longer either because they're loyal and they want to stay or because their value is inflated and clubs can't buy them.

Would a player as good as Kane still be at sp*rs if he wasn't English and from the academy? He'll be 28 this summer and his trophy cabinet is empty. It's not even certain he'll ever move to a bigger club, if he was foreign he'd probably have jumped ship a summer or two ago.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
At least they are British through and through London and from Arsenal academy, so they won't leave from your side. Players like Fabregas, RVP, Nasri, Sagna and etc were always going to leave to win major trophies.

People seem to think footballers are fans. they are not. It's their job. Their career, not a hobby. It's what they do to make a living, and their living will always come first.

Win trophies, and you get sponsorships, higher pay and after you retire you can map out a future as a pundit, or a manager or a DOF or whatever.

They will always put their careers first.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I agree to an extent, but if you have a very good academy player it increases the chances of them staying longer either because they're loyal and they want to stay or because their value is inflated and clubs can't buy them.

Would a player as good as Kane still be at sp*rs if he wasn't English and from the academy? He'll be 28 this summer and his trophy cabinet is empty. It's not even certain he'll ever move to a bigger club, if he was foreign he'd probably have jumped ship a summer or two ago.
A lot of British players are perochial. Kane’s mum lives down the road in Chingford and he doesn’t speak any other languages. The number of foreign players that dared go abroad are few and far between ,like Beckham and Lineker.

Last edited:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

Preach on it.
Reading the post you quoted I'd swear I woke up from a fever dream and Cashley Cole finished his career at Arsenal, Rooney didn't try to go to Manchester City, Chamberlain was still here and we never had Big Sol.

Ironically, Spanish and Italian players are far less loyal. How many English players played for both Liverpool and United in their prime?

Now how many Italians have played for AC Milan and Inter Milan or Juventus? How many Spaniards have played for two out of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atletico? Germans with Bayern and every other German club?

They just don't go overseas, but they're not loyal. No footballer is. The class of 92 would have been gone quick as spit if United were nothing but a mid table club in the 90s.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
A lot of British players are perochial. Kane’s mum lives down the road in Chingford and he doesn’t speak any other languages. The number of foreign players that dared go abroad are few and far between ,like Beckham and Linekar.

Yeah Beckham gets a lot of stick but what he's done is pretty impressive and forward thinking. Played in 5 countries, didn't even bother to do the usual punditry/coaching route, went straight into ownership. Somehow feels underrated in this country.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
People seem to think footballers are fans. they are not. It's their job. Their career, not a hobby. It's what they do to make a living, and their living will always come first.

Win trophies, and you get sponsorships, higher pay and after you retire you can map out a future as a pundit, or a manager or a DOF or whatever.

They will always put their careers first.

True, if Le Tissier had put his career before his heart he might've won a few trophies and he wouldnt have become the mad conspiracist lunatic that he is today.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Yeah Beckham gets a lot of stick but what he's done is pretty impressive and forward thinking. Played in 5 countries, didn't even bother to do the usual punditry/coaching route, went straight into ownership. Somehow feels underrated in this country.
People joke about him being thick because of his high pitched London accent, but I think he’s far from it. Very astute.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He doesn't live here in UK init. Kinda like how Lewis Hamilton was until recently very marginalised. However some very big milestones were reached and he suddenly became undeniable.

I think it's a location thing maybe.

Wenger is almost a British person the stuff he's achieved in UK and how long he's been here, I guess he is kind of another example in reverse.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
True, if Le Tissier had put his career before his heart he might've won a few trophies and he wouldnt have become the mad conspiracist lunatic that he is today.

The money and the opportunities back when Le Tessier played were on an entirely different scale compared to nowadays, especially in European football.

dashsnow17

Trusted ⭐
He doesn't live here in UK init. Kinda like how Lewis Hamilton was until recently very marginalised. However some very big milestones were reached and he suddenly became undeniable.

I think it's a location thing maybe.

Wenger is almost a British person the stuff he's achieved in UK and how long he's been here, I guess he is kind of another example in reverse.

True, Brits don't like Brits who go abroad and achieve success. Whereas for Irish people it's our goddamn raison d'etre.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Etve1E6XAAEudnk

Latest posts+

Top Bottom