• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
I think that October 17-December 26 period had shaken the faith in him, in fact I'd go as far as saying that it's completely changed how a huge chunk of the fans view him. It was pretty bad in fairness:
arsenals-attacking-stats-since-october-international-break.jpg

Ever since then obviously he's put Smith Rowe into the team and things have changed for the better. People will say he wasn't fit enough to play regularly before this and it might be true, but Arteta should've made that position a priority in the summer if he was going to force Özil out. He miscalculated on that front and it's probably cost the team a chance at top 4. It seems like he's learned from that mistake so that's a positive from a young coach.

I've been less harsh on him in recent weeks because apart from the Palace game at home, some things have been out of his control. Some poor finishing and refereeing against Wolves or a ridiculous mistake by Cedric at Villa. Even against Benfica, the performance wasn't great but Ceballos gifted them two goals. That's where I agree with the argument that he needs backing in the summer to improve, because now you can see a team developing he's just getting screwed by individual incompetence.
Yeah I agree. I have seen some worrying things but I think some of these things are probably due to his inexperience rather than him not having the ability. I think some of these issues (Özil, Willian, Saliba) are Edu's issue maybe more than Arteta (and with Özil perhaps even Raul) but for some reason is mainly directed towards Arteta. Why did Edu give clearance for Willian as a DoF who's meant to be looking at the medium-long term based off our squad profile? Why was Özil still at the club (and why didnt he leave earlier which is down to him)? And with Saliba I think Arteta was too stubborn to re-integrate him but there is no way it was his responsibility of finalising the loan, that falls on Edu/Fahmy/etc. Lastly, didn't Arteta want Aouar? And Edu went for Partey instead, never making the call? I remember there was a report saying that but it may have not been credible.

In terms of the football we have seen yes it has been poor, and Arteta has shown some favouritism. He has also concerned me in terms of his willingness to develop and play young players enough (e.g. Saliba, Martinelli, Balogun). His management of Saliba this summer will tell us a lot, if he wants him back and in contention to start then it means this season was more of an admin error and unwillingness to adapt to the situation, rather than being bad vibes Mik. I could be going into the season quite angry with Arteta and not having much time for him if he doesn't show signs of wanting to look at the medium term rather than the short.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Arteta’s been unlucky in places, but I feel he’s that bad that giving him money just won’t help the club.

You’ll just have a lot of chaff that the manager after him may/may not want.
This will be an Edu problem more than an Arteta one no? His job is meant to ben ensuring we follow a certain way of doing things i.e. play style and age profile so that even when Arteta leaves the club, the next manager can be profiled based on our 'vision'.

If Arteta wants washed up mercenaries Edu should be strong enough to say no. If they didnt learn from Özil and Willian with these large contracts then there is officially no hope for this club.

Surely teams these days should be building squads and bringing managers in to compliment all of that, rather than shapeshifting based on the manager's way of thinking. Managers come and go way too often these days to do that, and its why I think United struggled in the Moyes/LvG/Mourinho period.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This will be an Edu problem more than an Arteta one no? His job is meant to ben ensuring we follow a certain way of doing things i.e. play style and age profile so that even when Arteta leaves the club, the next manager can be profiled based on our 'vision'.

If Arteta wants washed up mercenaries Edu should be strong enough to say no. If they didnt learn from Özil and Willian with these large contracts then there is officially no hope for this club.

Surely teams these days should be building squads and bringing managers in to compliment all of that
Working great for some of our most recent expensive acquisitions isn’t it?

and people want to give this guy more money :lol:

Whatever man he will get his funds anyways so let’s see what becomes of these new players. No secret I don’t think they will amount to much unless they are in the league already.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Surely teams these days should be building squads and bringing managers in to compliment all of that, rather than shapeshifting based on the manager's way of thinking. Managers come and go way too often these days to do that, and its why I think United struggled in the Moyes/LvG/Mourinho period.

That’s the issue, you need someone to have this vision and then hire in accordance. Hire a DoF, manager who buy young, play a certain way etc. We don’t have that, you need someone above the DoF to have that vision.

This is one of the reasons why guys like Saliba, Guendouzi, Martinelli have been cast aside for older players.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Whatever man he will get his funds anyways so let’s see what becomes of these new players. No secret I don’t think they will amount to much unless they are in the league already.
Won’t be much funds in the summer without any European football. We’re selling guys like Saliba to bring some cash in, I think,

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐

I don't understand what you were referencing in the bolded part please elaborate bro. You mean Saliba and Pepe? That again falls down on weak DoF management imo. Manager's have their rep on the line theres an element of selfishness to their management, I think we are too used to Wenger who committed some dirty work to us almost like a mother. Arteta is tryna prove himself and won't look too much into the long term if he's not prompted to.

But yeah about the last bit you said, if he gets a lot of money and too much say on the type of players we sign (going onto buy washed up players or older ones in general) then of course he is a problem but he won't be the root of the problem; Edu will. Imo if Arteta does funky **** next summer and we do bad then Edu needs to be getting his notice as well as Arteta.

Melquiades

Now you've hit the nail on the head. You want to hold Arteta to different standards to Arsène and Unai.

Well I don't, they all should be held to exactly the same standards. Unai only got 18 months and has a better record, Wenger was forced out with a campaign after coming 2nd ffs.

Arteta is in the bottom half of the table come March and everybody's still supporting him. He's on £5m a year in a results based business, and its pretty obvious he's not going to improve on Unai's 5th place any time soon.

All that's happening is that expectations and standards are sliding fast. And don't even start me 0n the style of football.

So what you're saying is that if we made a mistake firing Wenger, we should just continue repeating that mistake into infinity when every single manager brought in here can't meet unrealistic expectations?

It feels like you're so bitter about Wenger that you just want to burn everything to the ground out of spite.

Personally I don't give two ****s about Wenger at this point. I'm going to judge whatever manager we have going forward based on how he performs with the roster he has, the decisions about new players brought into the team, and whether the team is improving and moving in a positive direction.

The level of player in this squad clearly dropped a huge amount between 2016 and 2020. I don't think anyone could possibly deny this. To judge a new manager coming into the team with a much worse squad than prior managers by the same standard as those managers is abjectly ridiculous.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don’t hate too many complaints with Arteta, my main issue is some of the transfers and use of the squad.

Instead of signing all these old crap players and loaning trash, you could’ve played and developed the young talent we have here. Or signed better.

I mean we’re nearly 14th with what we’ve signed and loaned.

Iceman10

Established Member
Are we getting to the stage where some fans are judging Arteta for losing more often that not to Man City? Incredible. Every manager in the league bar possibly Klopp is a failure if that's the bar we're setting.

There are plenty of reasonable reasons to be sceptical of Arteta or an outright Arteta outer, games against Man City aren't one of them though.

If you can please quote what precisely you are responding to. The most recent loss to City doesn’t bother me so much as the first leg against Benfica and the loss at Villa Park, but I can see how the manner of the loss to City can bother some. Even though it was a one goal margin City totally dominated and were barely out of first gear. OK, they are a handful for everyone right now, but the week before I did see Everton at least go at them hard over the first half hour and test them a bit. In our case we barely showed anything with them dominating right from kickoff.

GDeep™

League is very weak
So what you're saying is that if we made a mistake firing Wenger, we should just continue repeating that mistake into infinity when every single manager brought in here can't meet unrealistic expectations?

It feels like you're so bitter about Wenger that you just want to burn everything to the ground out of spite.

Personally I don't give two ****s about Wenger at this point. I'm going to judge whatever manager we have going forward based on how he performs with the roster he has, the decisions about new players brought into the team, and whether the team is improving and moving in a positive direction.

The level of player in this squad clearly dropped a huge amount between 2016 and 2020. I don't think anyone could possibly deny this. To judge a new manager coming into the team with a much worse squad than prior managers by the same standard as those managers is abjectly ridiculous.
Again, the bulk of this roster is signed or extended under Arteta - up to 12 players I think, and we’re nearly 14th or something.

Also, Leno, Gabriel, Tierney, Partey, Auba etc is better than what we had between 2016-18.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
That’s the issue, you need someone to have this vision and then hire in accordance. Hire a DoF, manager who buy young, play a certain way etc. We don’t have that, you need someone above the DoF to have that vision.

the irony is that someone like Gazidis would be the only one at the club who would be in position to identify and then go get someone like him

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I don't understand what you were referencing in the bolded part please elaborate bro. You mean Saliba and Pepe? That again falls down on weak DoF management imo. Manager's have their rep on the line theres an element of selfishness to their management, I think we are too used to Wenger who committed some dirty work to us almost like a mother. Arteta is tryna prove himself and won't look too much into the long term if he's not prompted to.

But yeah about the last bit you said, if he gets a lot of money and too much say on the type of players we sign (going onto buy washed up players or older ones in general) then of course he is a problem but he won't be the root of the problem; Edu will. Imo if Arteta does funky **** next summer and we do bad then Edu needs to be getting his notice as well as Arteta.
So Arteta needs his players but Edu gets the blame if they are bums? Great.

I guess that’s how he’s gotten this Willian thing off.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
So Arteta needs his players but Edu gets the blame if they are bums? Great.

I guess that’s how he’s gotten this Willian thing off.
Your criticism of Arteta is clearly stretching into other areas of the management of this club, areas which are more down to other people. Apparently Arteta is Arsène Wenger and is meant to single handedly run the club now. But the man who hires him and who is meant to oversee our vision/transfers is blameless, okay.

Last edited:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

the irony is that someone like Gazidis would be the only one at the club who would be in position to identify and then go get someone like him

Isn't that basically Edu's job? I never understood the difference between a technical director, sporting director, director of football, head of recruitment etc, seems like the same job to me. Utd look like the club who need him more, but he'd be good here too, not sure how that fits in with Edu though.

Reactions: A_G

GDeep™

League is very weak
For me there is no discussion to be had really on Arteta and his future. He’ll be here next season, and rightly so, and he’ll live/die on his results, he’ll get sacked if he’s not getting top 6 next season.

I can talk on this season and is say it’s been terrible - wether it’s the eye test or the numbers, I mean we’re on course for less points than Wenger in his worst ever season.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Isn't that basically Edu's job? I never understood the difference between a technical director, sporting director, director of football, head of recruitment etc, seems like the same job to me. Utd look like the club who need him more, but he'd be good here too, not sure how that fits in with Edu though.
All the same roles, technical, sporting director of football etc.

Apparently Overmars is available in the summer. Being Dutch and part of the Ajax system, you suspect his model is more geared towards developing young players.

Top Bottom