• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Genuine question, do you think we have one of the top 4 squads in the league?

What does this mean? If you want to be literal only the teams that finish in the top 4 have "top 4" squads. But, you're not going to say a team that finishes 5th or 6th on goal difference or by a few points doesn't have a top 4 squad.

So league finish isn't the sole determinant. Is it how far away you are from it? Do Liverpool no longer have a top 4 squad because they're 8th? (If they finish there)

I'll tell you what we do have: One of the highest paid squads in the country, the highest ticket prices in the country, top class facilities and expensive players.

Does all of that make a top 4 squad on its own? No the quality of the players is important. I see people here praising Xhaka and all the rest of them to the hilt but simultaneously our squad on a whole isn't good enough.

How can both be true? How can every individual player we have be great but somehow our squad isn't good enough, the manager needs more time and better players?

I know we have a squad better than 8th to 10th and clearly the club agrees with me given that we haven't had a substantial clear out since Wenger left

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Don’t you think fans would sweep a result like this under the rug if it was once in a blue moon? It’s obviously not just about this game. This season is really really really bad.

It would've been easier to check the vote in the poll above to know that the poster's response is not an isolated incident.

mirrorstare

That’s it exactly. Unai or Arsène would have had the fans almost suicidal for being 10th. I wanted to give Arteta a chance but I’m not prepared to lower my Arsenal standards just because of that. Standards are standards. Arsenal should not be mid table.

And what’s more it’s highly suspect that the posters on here that were the most critical of Arsène (top 4 not being good enough), are the ones making the most excuses for Arteta.

The worst part is there's no injury crisis or dressing room issues. If he had injury woes like vintage Arsène, or the dressing room wasn't listening to him like Emery second season, I would have a lot more sympathy. But under very favorable circumstances the best he can do is midtable. And the dressing room stuff makes me think he's actively enabling an acceptance for mediocrity at the club, which makes our "mental strength" issues back then a child's play in comparison.

Imagine this nonsense with a injury crisis like the ones Pool, Everton or Leicester have. We would be fearing Fulham at this point.

Don't know about the posters, from what I see Arteta simps cling more on the positive comments everyone spouts about him regardless of what happens on the pitch and most of them draw the line for this kind of performance until next season, I guess we will see then.

say yes

forum master baiter
What does this mean? If you want to be literal only the teams that finish in the top 4 have "top 4" squads. But, you're not going to say a team that finishes 5th or 6th on goal difference or by a few points doesn't have a top 4 squad.

So league finish isn't the sole determinant. Is it how far away you are from it? Do Liverpool no longer have a top 4 squad because they're 8th? (If they finish there)

I'll tell you what we do have: One of the highest paid squads in the country, the highest ticket prices in the country, top class facilities and expensive players.

Does all of that make a top 4 squad on its own? No the quality of the players is important. I see people here praising Xhaka and all the rest of them to the hilt but simultaneously our squad on a whole isn't good enough.

How can both be true? How can every individual player we have be great but somehow our squad isn't good enough, the manager needs more time and better players?

I know we have a squad better than 8th to 10th and clearly the club agrees with me given that we haven't had a substantial clear out since Wenger left
Did you read the post I was replying to? I agree that we have a squad capable of finishing in the top 4, but it's clearly not one of the top 4 squads in the league.

say yes

forum master baiter
The worst part is there's no injury crisis or dressing room issues. If he had injury woes like vintage Arsène, or the dressing room wasn't listening to him like Emery second season, I would have a lot more sympathy. But under very favorable circumstances the best he can do is midtable. And the dressing room stuff makes me think he's actively enabling an acceptance for mediocrity at the club, which makes our "mental strength" issues back then a child's play in comparison.

Imagine this nonsense with a injury crisis like the ones Pool, Everton or Leicester have. We would be fearing Fulham at this point.

Don't know about the posters, from what I see Arteta simps cling more on the positive comments everyone spouts about him regardless of what happens on the pitch and most of them draw the line for this kind of performance until next season, I guess we will see then.
Surely the fact that there are no dressing room issues is a postive, and a testament to Arteta's man-management skills?

Lady_Gooner

Posting While Meditating
Trusted ⭐

It would've been easier to check the vote in the poll above to know that the poster's response is not an isolated incident.
That’s fine! But to make it sound like fans are solely looking at this game is just dumb...it looks like we’re going to score about 50 odd goals, we’re sitting in 10th but it’s just this game we’re blaming arteta for apparently

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Arteta is the only manager in the world you can't judge by looking at the league table or results. He's just "unlucky" game after game.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Im one of the few in this thread that are conflicted. I was totally arteta is a **** show around Christmas, but I have seen better performances since then. But results are still quite poor, even despite some performance improvement. We can't seem to manage to get any run of results under arteta, which is concern.

Yeah I'm sort of at this point though probably more on the antagonistic side (against Arteta) rather than veering on the positive side.

But it's hard to deny that we've looked a lot better after Xmas, I mean all the underlying stats are now showing we are more consistently have more xG than the opposition, we're dominating possession and generally creating a decent amount of chances. This was not happening in November.

At the same time, I was not impressed by the entire Benfica tie, absolutely clown levels of overthinking and just over-calculating the entire tie and we were lucky to go through.

And for large parts of the 2nd half against Burnley we looked quite bad. What leaves an especially bad taste in my mouth is the Willian selections, the whole sh!t with Saliba and to some extent Guendouzi.

The mysterious disappearance of Martinelli, and Nelson doesn't deserve a sniffle in the squad anymore? Just bemusing......

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

That’s fine! But to make it sound like fans are solely looking at this game is just dumb...it looks like we’re going to score about 50 odd goals, we’re sitting in 10th but it’s just this game we’re blaming arteta for apparently

It seems bizarre how some are defending his performance at the helm when other more illustrious managers were vilified for much less. This game is a microcosm of our disastrous season. Our performances under him after the restart (FA Cup games where fortune was on our side notwithstanding) were merely a prelude to what was waiting for us.

GDeep™

League is very weak
This is the key point for me. It's ok not to rate Arteta, but today clearly wasn't on him. He set us up well, we performed well, and we should have won comfortably. The players (and VAR) ****ed up, again.
It’s normal though, no? Especially in this social media era, once a part of the fan base has turned on the manager then he’s going to get blamed for everything.

In terms of this season he has no credit in the bank either as we’ve spent all season in midtable, so frustration comes into it.

But for me, I can’t kill him for today. We done a lot right and game should’ve been won by the players.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Did you read the post I was replying to? I agree that we have a squad capable of finishing in the top 4, but it's clearly not one of the top 4 squads in the league.

This is an academic distinction.

For. me the top 4 squads are the ones that finish in the top 4 at the end of the season, not an arbitrary rank based on how good their players are supposed to be at the start of the season. Meanwhile a squad's capability of finishing in the top 4 is based on how their players are supposed to perform.

If one of your top 4 squads finishes 8th, what are they? You're not actually a top 4 squad unless you finish in the top 4, you're just capable of doing so.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Listen when Arsenal are in midtable then people want blood, and we are a pretty damaged and abused fan base, most of us need counselling.

Even Arteta said our situation in unacceptable. I guess I’m more relaxed and have mentally clocked out of this season and put my Arteta eggs in the 2022 season basket.

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

The only "positive" (and that takes a considerable suspension of disbelief) of the catastrophic Arteta reign is that we can't finish lower than 10th given just how bad everyone below us is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom