• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Tbh if we had like 10-15 more points and were well and truly in the mix for top and think this result is more forgivable. The thing is those who're Arteta out are gonna focus on the 2 points dropped. You could also say the Arteta in crowd will only focus on the positives and make excuses.

What I will say tho is that all the pressure is on this EL tie, and probably in general on him to win that competition. We're finishing either 9th or 10th probably, EL victory is the only thing that salvages this season otherwise it should be curtains for Mikel, not saying it will be as the board having been declaring their faith in him as much as possible and we're almost in unprecedented territory as far as backing the manager goes.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

My view is still the same. Calm down good people. Nothing will happen until next season. Arteta has an excellent chance to work with the squad to the end of this season, and have a good transfer summer. Next season the fans will be back, and the heat will be on. It is an excellent opportunity for Arteta, it is up to him to take it.

I hope we are in a better shape then than now, but there is no use yelling to high heaven now, it is a question of patience till next season. You may rage against the dying of the light, but it will not avail ye.

blaze_of_glory

There's some reason to think he can have success here in time, just as much to think otherwise based on what we've seen so far both from him and the team. He's literally learning the job as he goes so no one knows what he's capable of. We're in an experiment and it can still go either way.

Arsenal are in 10th place in March and on course for the worst PL finish in 25 years under him after what will be 18 months in charge (yes we could still go on a run before the end). Right now it's hard to look past that to what may come later.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Hopefully, the vaccinations keep with the current pace in the UK and the fans are back in full voice at The Emirates next season at the earliest possible chance. They hounded out our greatest ever manager for falling below his excellent standards, they will not suffer Arteta's amateurish nonsense one bit. Only then will he realize the magnitude of his job and how far beyond him it is.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Tbh if we had like 10-15 more points and were well and truly in the mix for top and think this result is more forgivable. The thing is those who're Arteta out are gonna focus on the 2 points dropped. You could also say the Arteta in crowd will only focus on the positives and make excuses.

What I will say tho is that all the pressure is on this EL tie, and probably in general on him to win that competition. We're finishing either 9th or 10th probably, EL victory is the only thing that salvages this season otherwise it should be curtains for Mikel, not saying it will be as the board having been declaring their faith in him as much as possible and we're almost in unprecedented territory as far as backing the manager goes.

At this point, I can't imagine us sacking him...if we were still playing the way we were pre Chelsea then yes, but we have improved a lot since then in terms of performances.

Next season will be when Arteta should get properly judged by the board.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I don't know what yo think about this guy. His choice of words re the squad was poor. We want to get some money for our players. Unless he had a word with the ones he wants to keep, throwing the squad under the bus or challenging them in this way is strange. If those are his private thoughts, then it's encouraging because we can get quality without spending massive amounts and yes, thd squad needs improving. I still think he could have got more out of the squad by adjusting his tactics but in the other hand, he's ripped thd plaster off to see who can cope. My main concern will be if he kicks out our youth players without giving them a proper chance, doesn't try to move Xhaka on and goes after Ceballos or other ill suited players.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Must admit that today was another game where my doubts about Arteta increased. Just not sure if he can be trusted long term. He clearly has a strategy, but he keeps on picking players that simply are not performing and let the team down. If Xhaka starts next game I might switch to the Arteta out camp. Just cannot take it anymore. 🤬

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Hopefully, the vaccinations keep with the current pace in the UK and the fans are back in full voice at The Emirates next season at the earliest possible chance. They hounded out our greatest ever manager for falling below his excellent standards, they will not suffer Arteta's amateurish nonsense one bit. Only then will he realize the magnitude of his job and how far beyond him it is.
There is a danger here though...should the fans be the ones to sack a manager? We talk a lot about player power, but fan power? Do the fans bear some responsibility for the last years of Wenger's reign? I think it is a fair question.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Do the fans bear some responsibility for the last years of Wenger's reign? I think it is a fair question.
Definitely.

Same way they will have blood on their hands when Arteta gets his summer, sells some, buys some - and we're still crap talking about processes and there's no Bellerin or Lacazette to blame.

2 seasons down the drain is all this process will bring.

mpower2540

Pepe could’ve started, taking Ødegaard off for Lacazette was a bit strange but I’d say our profligacy, stupidity and a baffling non penalty decision cost us today before the manager.

I like a lot of what we’re trying to do but Jesus people need to start standing up and being counted now. For far too long I think Arsenal has been a nice club for average players to hide in and collect their high wages while they consistently put in 5/6 out of 10 performances. It’s ridiculous how reliant we are on Aubameyang to score, Xhaka costing us with errors, David Luiz error prone, Bellerin poor form, Willian, Lacazette came on and didn’t have a shot coming towards his final year. All players we should be moving on.

Recognise the players you need to lean into and will win you games and the ones you need to move away from ffs.

Arteta has mitigating circumstances since this is a very unique season where rotation is more important than ever so he needs to use the whole squad, the market wasn’t/isn’t great and it’s his first job so I’m not ready to give up but I do worry about him.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

There is a danger here though...should the fans be the ones to sack a manager? We talk a lot about player power, but fan power? Do the fans bear some responsibility for the last years of Wenger's reign? I think it is a fair question.

I didn't like what happened to Wenger one bit. He certainly had to step down but the vile campaign that was instigated against him by the fans was too much and again, though the time for him to depart was overdue, the lack of respect for a distinguished & all-round great gentleman was sickening.

My problem with Arteta is that he assumed a role too big for him without gaining prior experience, aside from being Pep's assistant (which really isn't much to fall back on, rare it is when an assistant manager comes good).

It still infuriates me how Emery was treated when we were only a Mustafi ****-up & Xhaka brain malfunction from getting back to the Champions League. Those two matches ultimately cost him his job, cost Zaha his move to Arsenal & has us languishing where we are now, farther away from the Champions League than we've ever been in our existence. And, to top it off, when Ancelotti was available, we snubbed him again, for Arteta.

Do the fans bear some responsibility for the last years of Wenger's reign? Yes insofar as how he was treated but ultimately it was down to the board's inefficacy that we are where we are. Should the fans have their voices heard and a say in when a manager has overstayed his welcome? Absolutely. Paying the highest gate prices in world football affords them that privilege.

And, once they do return to their seats, Arteta will hear them loud & clear.

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Do the fans bear some responsibility for the last years of Wenger's reign? I think it is a fair question.
Interesting question, I think Wenger was 100% guilty of everything that happened then, and I was saying that the squad that he created at the time simply couldn't be fixed within 2-3 years.
Check what that squad was before investments made that summer, you will have a better understanding of why Wenger is the root of our current problems and most of the problems over the past 3 years.

I still believe that it was Wenger who was the best person to fix his own work. He did have a couple of bad years when it comes to player recruitment, but I'm sure that by now he would probably find a couple of players who would take us back to the top 4

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
The current state of Arsenal football club.

1 point from 6 matches against Burnley, Wolves and Villa.

10th in the league with the likes of Villa, Everton, West Ham above us.

Huge prospect of 0 European football next season. Which puts us back further based on actually being able to entice the right type and quality of player to come to us. Also we won't have the funds to spend. All while the likes of United, City, Chelsea and the likes of Everton strengthen further. Making the gap even bigger.

Some fans are hugely content with us around 10th because "they have a feeling Mikel is a messiah" or because "there are signs there".

The league table doesn't lie. We are 10th for a reason. 10th. We finished 8th last season and all we needed was a small improvement. Nothing major just to keep us going in the right direction no matter how slow it was. However that hasn't materialised.

If Man City finished first and Arteta took over from Pep and after 18 months had the team around 4th would he still be in charge? No.

If he took over a team that finished 17th in the league the season before and the next season had them relegated would he still be in a job? No.

Yet here we are. Team finished 5th under Emery who couldn't speak English. Was 8th when we sacked him. Finished 8th with Mikel. And now after 18 months in charge some good signings and some superb performances from Saka and Tierney (Emery didn't get much out of him with injuried) we are 10th.

People are going to use the excuse he needs his own players. Anchelotti hasn't got all the players he wants. Ole hasn't got every player he wants. I'm sure David Moyes would like a few more players. And for the record Arteta has signed Soares, Mari, Gabriel, Ceballos, Willian, Ødegaard, Partey. Not like hasn't had any support.

To be sitting in March NEEDING to win the EL with the likes of United, Sp**s, AC Milan etc in it is a terrible position to be in.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Interesting question, I think Wenger was 100% guilty of everything that happened then, and I was saying that the squad that he created at the time simply couldn't be fixed within 2-3 years.
Check what that squad was before investments made that summer, you will have a better understanding of why Wenger is the root of our current problems and most of the problems over the past 3 years.

I still believe that it was Wenger who was the best person to fix his own work. He did have a couple of bad years when it comes to player recruitment, but I'm sure that by now he would probably find a couple of players who would take us back to the top 4
I agree but I have to desagree at the same time. Wenger by his own had to take the decision to left the team once he won the FACup and give the place to Klopp in what could be the most perfect transition ever. He could stayed around as Ferguson did in ManU. He just needed to accept the best for Arsenal was to bring Klopp.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom