• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

So to summarise the last few pages:

-The difference in spending between the top teams and lower teams has never been greater in the whole history of the prem . . . but apparently the lower teams are making the league harder for Arteta

-Wenger needed to go because he couldn't keep in the top 4, Emery needed to go in just a matter of months because he couldn't get top 4, but Arteta at 10th should be supported.

-Arsène and Emery were to blame for mistakes made by players, but Arteta is not, it's all the players fault, even though we've spent nearly £300m on players in just the last 3 years
Pretty much what I'm reading tbh, hence my question a few pages back :lol:

The lesser teams spending more argument is a strange one seeing as the typical Arsenal fan couldn't name Burnley's starting 11 and we've failed to beat them this season. Oh well.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
So to summarise the last few pages:

-The difference in spending between the top teams and lower teams has never been greater in the whole history of the prem . . . but apparently the lower teams are making the league harder for Arteta

-Wenger needed to go because he couldn't keep in the top 4, Emery needed to go in just a matter of months because he couldn't get top 4, but Arteta at 10th should be supported.

-Arsène and Emery were to blame for mistakes made by players, but Arteta is not, it's all the players fault, even though we've spent nearly £300m on players in just the last 3 years

The spending gap between top teams and lower teams increasing isn't relevant. I don't see how you can't understand this. It's the fact that weaker teams are able to spend more that is the relevant point

Top teams will only gain marginally from spending more money as their quality is already very high. It's diminishing returns. Lower placed teams gain more because they're weaker in quality overall and easier to improve on. It's pretty basic stuff to be honest.

If Burnley spend £50m and Man City spend £100m which team improves more in real terms? The answers Burnley.

avenellroad

John Radford’s son
Moving into a rookie stadium, with no past experience of having a football team in it, killed us really.

Should have stayed at Highbury, it had the experience, it had the qualifications of winning titles...such a shame :(
Hindsight’s 20/20 and all that but maybe the stadium move, whilst necessary, took place at the wrong time. Dein and Arsène probably foresaw FFP on the horizon and acted on their instincts that the time was ripe for the self sustainable clubs to take the lead. Maybe with just Roman around we could have snuck in another league title or two.

No one could have foreseen Man City changing the face of football finances in this country forever.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Willian is a lot of captain hindsight. I along with most was okay with signing him at the time, he's a player of proven pedigree. The issue was the contract length. He's failed to live up to expectations so far but lets not forget he's our leading assist maker in the PL.
Yeah, nah that's not allowed, check the opening pages of the Willian thread and his archived transfer thread - our more vocal posters were screaming bloody murder all summer. It was obvious.

Xhaka, Bellerin and Laca are all convenient scapegoats for Arteta's reign yet we've reportedly had offers for all.

Either these players are better than we think and Arsenal weren't confident in replacing them for the fees offered, or Arteta had a bout of amnesia when he said the squad is far far away from what he wants and not the required players for his 4-3-3.

Either way the excuses are flimsy and mildly contradicting.

Kav

Established Member
Ok great, so Arteta should have sold Xhaka and Elneny this summer and not loaned Ceballos.

Who would you have been starting in midfield this season? Bearing in mind the club is making heavy covid losses and we had to get a loan from our owner just to sign Partey.

Fill in the CM gaps for me:
Option 1 - Partey (injured most of the season)
Option 2 - ?
Option 3 - ?
Option 4 - ?
Option 2 - Loftus Cheek/ Ruben Neves/ Andre Gomes/ Doucoure> Xhaka.
Option 3 - lamptey ( saw him last season and knew he would be a good player, can play RB/Rm/RCM)
Option 4 - AMN/ Guendouzi

say yes

forum master baiter
Option 2 - Loftus Cheek/ Ruben Neves/ Andre Gomes/ Doucoure> Xhaka.
Option 3 - lamptey ( saw him last season and knew he would be a good player, can play RB/Rm/RCM)
Option 4 - AMN/ Guendouzi
Lamptey - Loftus-Cheek midfield pairing? 😭

"Liked by Makingtrax, Macho and Gdeep"

Think I'm finished with this forum.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Lamptey - Loftus-Cheek midfield pairing? 😭

"Liked by Makingtrax, Macho and Gdeep"

Think I'm finished with this forum.

Typical AM that. 'wE HavE INjUrIes Evaery SiseaON'

Let's sign players who are constantly injured.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Hindsight’s 20/20 and all that but maybe the stadium move, whilst necessary, took place at the wrong time. Dein and Arsène probably foresaw FFP on the horizon and acted on their instincts that the time was ripe for the self sustainable clubs to take the lead. Maybe with just Roman around we could have snuck in another league title or two.

No one could have foreseen Man City changing the face of football finances in this country forever.
the board sold off so fast to kroenke ...they really had no ambition except to raise the value of their shares and sell. Both Dein and Wenger were used.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Pretty much what I'm reading tbh, hence my question a few pages back :lol:

The lesser teams spending more argument is a strange one seeing as the typical Arsenal fan couldn't name Burnley's starting 11 and we've failed to beat them this season. Oh well.
It's crazy :lol:
Most burnley players aren't even good enough to make our bench and yet AM told me teams like Burnley have gotten stronger :lol: The likes of Chris Wood and peters won't look out of place in the championship.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

The spending gap between top teams and lower teams increasing isn't relevant. I don't see how you can't understand this. It's the fact that weaker teams are able to spend more that is the relevant point

Top teams will only gain marginally from spending more money as their quality is already very high. It's diminishing returns. Lower placed teams gain more because they're weaker in quality overall and easier to improve on. It's pretty basic stuff to be honest.

If Burnley spend £50m and Man City spend £100m which team improves more in real terms? The answers Burnley.
When the amount of money clubs have to spend on a squad of players doubles like it has over the last few years. A rich team that spent £400m on their squad 5 years ago now has £800m, that's £400m extra. A lower team that spent £100m now spends £200m, only £100m extra.

Of course much depends on the cost of players over the years. If it increases exactly in line with club spending on players there'll be no advantage to either. If it drops below then the richer clubs get a bigger advantage. Also some of the rich teams have more than doubled their squad investments. City £400m to £1000m, Pool £257m to £666m.

@American_Gooner can explain further I'm sure.

Last edited:

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Can't lie, I'm kind of swayed by the argument that we've just gone through a lot of pain for Arteta to learn a lot of lessons as a new coach. Why not keep him around when things in general are now improving.

Any more downturns and he's gotta go though.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom