• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
In terms of patience I can understand people talking about points and table position but I’ve found it hard to go with impatience with both Emery and Arteta on style of football, people going on about “identity” and bemoaning lack of attractive football. I see both Emery and Arteta attempting “processes” to tighten up defence and positional discipline first. Some fans might not like this approach but in some ways they are forgetting doing these things was exactly what they wanted in “fixing” Wenger.

I don’t understand why some people do not get the “process” with City for example, where they went through a couple of years of getting a defensive platform and strong spine (squad additions) together first before working on the attacking pretty football on top. Granted, City fans could easily go with that because they had had nothing to celebrate for decades prior anyway. Of course when you are working on defence and discipline first and you still have moments like the Xhaka one on the weekend I can understand the impatience with that.
To be brutally honest, I think a lot of people who have a problem with Mikel are split into a few groups that were already predisposed to not having much patience. I could categorise them but I don’t really want to go any further because it gets a bit grubby 🤐

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Just doesn’t sit right with me that we have a Manchester City fan in charge, a man who rates their 100 point team more than the invincibles, a man who defends state funded clubs every chance he gets.

Not when Thierry Daniel Henry and Patrick Donalé Vieira are available.

say yes

forum master baiter
Maybe Arteta will succeed here, maybe he won't. But you can only laugh at how much anger and hatred there is on this forum for our manager. There is no pro-Arteta conspiracy: those views are not represented in the media and broader fanbase because they're ill-formed and unreasonable.

Fortunately, journalists aren't trapped in this angry echo chamber, where stillborn insights are passed around like a soggy biscuit. Hope y'all enjoy being miserable. Could never be me.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I would sack Arteta today for Vieira, tbh.

I don't deal with common sense with football, just blind emotion :lol:

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Most important thing Arteta has probably done in terms of the squad is bin the German Brokeback Mountain boys and Guendouzui. Players with poor attitudes / commitments needed showing the door for a long time.

Freezing out Özil is the genesis of a lot of the Arteta hate on here I really believe.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I would sack Arteta today for Vieira, tbh.

I don't deal with common sense with football, just blind emotion :lol:
Might as well get Vic Akers in then. Got more trophies and more years at Arsenal than Paddy. Doesn't get enough respect on this forum.

54ef82_d9693e6aaf7e4d8397a8d350895ece48~mv2.jpg

Last edited:

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Most important thing Arteta has probably done in terms of the squad is bin the German Brokeback Mountain boys and Guendouzui. Players with poor attitudes / commitments needed showing the door for a long time.

Freezing out Özil is the genesis of a lot of the Arteta hate on here I really believe.

It worked out for Mikel because of contracts, but we potentially haven't got rid of Kolasinac just yet so I'd hold off the praise. He's got on year left and the club where he is currently are staring at relegation.

I think Arteta's biggest magic trick was convincing everybody the squad doesn't have the required quality by insinuating certain things on more than one occasion.

He also has a knack for getting credit for anything remotely good that's happened yet getting sympathy for anything negative. Examples? Partey/Gabriel coming to the club, winning FA Cup etc - 100% Mikel according to some (not you just saying).

Players like Xhaka, Bellerin, Elneny currently seeing game time - yeah but that's down to the past regimes it's their fault.

The credit thing is less on Mikel himself though, that's the media stuff I was harping on about earlier.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Daily Arteta Out post.

We're still 10th.

38 points

Worst position since pre-Wenger times.

It's time to go.

Thanks for the FA Cup Memories, but it's time to say goodbye. Go ruin another club!

Bring in a proper English manager like Rodgers or Howe or Dyche.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice

It worked out for Mikel because of contracts, but we potentially haven't got rid of Kolasinac just yet so I'd hold off the praise. He's got on year left and the club where he is currently are staring at relegation.

I think Arteta's biggest magic trick was convincing everybody the squad doesn't have the required quality by insinuating certain things on more than one occasion.

He also has a knack for getting credit for anything remotely good that's happened yet getting sympathy for anything negative. Examples? Partey/Gabriel coming to the club, winning FA Cup etc - 100% Mikel according to some (not you just saying).

Players like Xhaka, Bellerin, Elneny currently seeing game time - yeah but that's down to the past regimes it's their fault.

The credit thing is less on Mikel himself though, that's the media stuff I was harping on about earlier.

I mean It depends how you look at it I suppose. I think we lack the depth and squad quality to be where a club of Arsenal stature should be, top 4. I think most would agree that we're probably somewhere around 6th in terms of quality, so we are still underachieving this season. I think that's beyond dispute.

To me that just human nature though. Arteta fans are going to generally focus on the good things he's done in the transfer market and try and maybe big things up that he may not deserve full credit for.

The reverse happens on the Arteta disliker's side though. Good signings are often framed as club signings, trying to deny Arteta any credit. Players like Mari and Cedric were written off as bums before they'd even had a chance to play a game because of who signed them. It's been reported extensively that Willian was a club target pre Arteta. I'm not saying Arteta doesn't deserve the blame for that signings because I'm almost certain he was the driving force behind it, but still.

Players like Xhaka, Bellerin, Elneny I think most of us can agree probably need moving on. It's okay saying we had bids for these players and should have sold them already under Arteta but how much squad turnover can you have at one time? And were we in a position to replace these guys with players of suitable quality at the time? I don't know about that, particularly in the last 2 pandemic era transfer windows.

I think the media stuff gets a bit overblown. I've never watched AFTV or subscribed to The Athletic. I don't really read or watch any Arsenal related media apart from what's on here. Maybe I'm picking stuff up by osmosis from posters on here who do read / watch that stuff and I'm unaware of it, I don't know.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
All this fighting is distraction from the true issue at our club. Bellerin was world class with longer hair and has been **** since he cut it. Bring back the long hair, Heccyy and lead our club to glory.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade

The day we do a goal like this then I would say Arteta deserves to stay. We actually can't make the 3 first passes of that play. I hate modern football and that zero creativity way of playing. Press until you force a goal... Boring!!!

Iceman10

Established Member
I think we should just all admit, no-one's an impartial, objective judge of anything on here. We've all got our biases, pro or anti Arteta, same as with the players.

Whether fans like it or not, he's going to be manager next season that's the crux of the matter. People need to accept that. Hopefully he can end this season on a high through climbing the league table or winning the Europa League and then maybe we can go into next season with a bit more positivity.

The poll results above tell the story that there is still some patience with Mikel but I wouldn’t disregard how quickly things can change. Can you imagine the overall mood around the club if we go out against Olympiakos again, lose the NLD, and West Ham confirm current superiority over us? I personally wouldn’t go on record saying Mikel is guaranteed to be manager next season. It is for sure likely, but coming out of Covid this is a sensitive time also regarding the next round of season tickets, merchandise, etc.

We have massive swings with this club, pretty much match to match. When we beat Southampton comfortably in the PL match everyone was pretty much satisfied and chilled for the moment, and then two matches later the overall mood completely changed again. Perhaps a similar situation more recently beating Leicester and then dropping points against Burnley. I certainly don’t think Mikel should assume his job is safe.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Good first half, despite the slopyness.

Second half much more of a mixed bag. I’m done with Ceballos.

Good subs though, can’t really argue with that. The Elneny made sense because Dani is just not that good/press resistant and we’d lost the midfield after Partey had to come off.

It would’ve bugged me if Pepe wasn’t introduced along with him and that’s all I can ask, really (though Pepe should be starting).

I’m not sure you risk Parthey on the weekend, though. At least not for a full 90.

ThePortugueseGunner

Ever since it started to be (almost) consensual that the Wenger era had to come to an end, that Arsenal's focus should have been in hiring a manager that could come and set up another dynasty. I remember thinking that Arsenal should have gone for Klopp, during the season where Dortmund was in the relegation zone and he eventually got out of there. Liverpool did it, and it turned great for them.

Emery was not a great decision, but I gave the board the benefit of the doubt. And I was fond of getting Arteta as a transition option - I never thought that he would actually be the manager for the long-term. Recently, I thought that Tuchel might have been a good option, but oh well.

Maybe it's me, but I just think that it's a matter of time until he has to be sacked. He may have good football principles, but when the time comes, it's always more of the same. Playing from the back may be a very nice philosophy, but when you start players like David Luiz (who has had a dream career path without knowing what he's doing most of the time) it's nonsensical. There's not a single game where Luiz doesn't scare the crap out of me with a bad pass inside the penalty area, or a terrible approach to an attacking player.

Either you admit that you don't have the players to play the way you want to, or you have to make an effort to play accordingly to the players' characteristics.

Nice win today, Arsenal would have to concede 3 at home to be eliminated - doubt that it happens. But I think that there should be an investment in a coach with credentials and in giving him the right players to start something like what Klopp has done at Anfield. Just my two cents.

Token Yank

Shambolic and cowardly. Bailed out by 3 individual moments of brilliance. Might be good on the training ground but game management is severely lacking.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom