• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
rangers-mikel-arteta-battles-for-the-ball-with-arsenals-ashley-cole-picture-id828753822

...the gaffer's first involvement with Arsenal, nice 3-0 win for us from 2003!

Last edited:

Kav

Established Member
Arteta-ramsey in 2013/14 was better than Santi-coquelin in my opinion. I agree about his lack of athleticism of course, but that's why the team were more complete when he played alongside Ramsey or Song in his first season. Arteta didn't even replace Song so that's more ignorance.

Reports from the players and Wenger back then suggest both Per and Mikel positively impacted the overall togetherness and character of the squad. But Arteta was officially appointed as Captain and it was noticeable why.

Shame he's a poor manager though.

when Arteta first came he was playing higher up. It wasn’t until song left that he started playing deeply in the midfield or have you forgotten? It is this role we speak of. It is during the deeper role that he captained the club. Not when he initially came here.

When he first came he was very good but after his second season his performances dropped off a cliff. That being said I always disliked that he was playing so deep because he was a very good passer of the ball he just lacked the athleticism to command the role because all our other midfielders were bombing forward leaving him exposed.

Last edited:

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I liked how genuinely delighted Arteta was to sign for us from Everton, I'm sure he took a paycut to join us as well. It was a bad time after the United horror show but I remember him coming in and having a solid game a few weeks later to a Dortmund side who where champions at the time, shame we couldn't hold on but 1-1 was a respectable result away from home.

He had a really good first couple of seasons in a position in front of the defence I don't recall him ever playing for Everton, he was always AM or even RM for them. It was only into his 3rd season you realised his legs had totally gone when we where getting overrun left and right in the big games. Everton obviously saw the best of him but I thought he had a decent run with us.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Since Arteta still has a lot to prove as a coach...what did everyone think of him as a player/captain for Arsenal?
I liked him he was alright. That's one of the negatives about his managerial reign, I'll just remember when he was the worst Arsenal manager in history instead of when he was a half decent captain for us.

GoonerJay24

when Arteta first came he was playing higher up. It wasn’t until song left that he started playing deeply in the midfield or have you forgotten? It is this role we speak of. It is during the deeper role that he captained the club. Not when he initially came here.

When he first came he was very good but after his second season his performances dropped off a cliff. That being said I always disliked that he was playing so deep because he was a very good passer of the ball he just lacked the athleticism to command the role because all our other midfielders were bombing forward leaving him exposed.

I think on his debut against Swansea and also a couple of matches afterwards he played as a cm in front of Song but soon switched to a deeper defensive role behind Song, who himself became our playmaker and box-box midfielder that year. When Song left for Barca it was actually Diaby, Wilshere and then eventually Ramsey who replaced his role within that midfields dynamics.

He was brilliant for two and a half seasons, but agree with you when Ramsey got injured in 13/14 he struggled. Wenger made some poor selections in certain matches that year which saw Artetas physical limitations get exposed in midfield. I also feel if he could've stayed fit and contributed more in the 15/16 season then we would have been closer to Leicester.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Arteta as a player was a underrated signing I think. During those first 2 or so seasons he was one of the players we missed the most when he wasn't available for selection.

What I liked about him was that in a side that was largely about flair and players expressing themselves offensively he was happy to limit his game, sit back deeper and get the basics done. He read the game very well, good leader, excellent positional play to mask his physical limitations etc.

He was one of the foundations of that side and I think largely he doesn't get the credit he deserved. He played in a way that made the team better, not for personal accolades. Very unselfish player. I appreciated that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

All football shirts should XL for every player, plus all tucked in...that's how it was in the late 90s, that's how it always should be.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

My favor
All football shirts should XL for every player, plus all tucked in...that's how it was in the late 90s, that's how it always should be.
My favourite kits where the ones at WC 1982 in Spain. Liked all the big teams' kits: Brazil, Italy, Germany etc. Classic cut. Just very dapper look! All true chaps incl. facial hair when appropriate.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
So if Mik loses the upcoming Europa tie, will the board finally act?

Nah he'll get another season, although I'm not sure how they're going to justify all this talk of the "process". The only way I think they could appease people is if they have a big summer window, but that's just not going to happen without CL. Grim times ahead.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom