• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

GoonerJay24

Interesting thought, we have a counterattacking squad that's being told to play Pep football. Is it a coincidence that we won the FA cup sitting deep and breaking quickly?

"Watching Arsenal struggle tonight against what was a very well drilled, organised Villareal side, I saw the fury of people saying we need to get rid of Arteta. Our worst league season for decades, no European football, poor results, poor football, its not been great. Would another manager do better? Probably, almost definitely, but who would come to us right now. Arteta will be a good manager, but he has to learn a big lesson, fast.

What struck me most whilst watching though, over the season not just tonightwas how similar Arsenal want to play to Man City. Its an absolutely dire, uninspiring and completely ineffective version of City, but the pieces Arteta is trying to put into place are there. The slow careful build up play, playing out from the back, switching play to stretch the opposition, midfielders sitting to cover full backs and more.

Problem is, Arteta just doesn’t have the players to pull this off and this is his biggest of a number of downfalls. We don’t have a goalkeeper with amazing distribution, or intelligent players to move and create space for themselves to receive the ball. They aren’t technically gifted to play one twos to go through the gears in attack, we don’t have consistent goalscorers to attack the wide areas. We don’t have late runners into the box to receive deep crosses. We arent City and shouldn’t play like them.

Even worse, this strategy and tactic is being drilled into a team that can’t go and buy the missing pieces. We can’t afford a Fernandinho to stop counter attacks, an Ederson to start attacks, a De Bruyne to cut teams open or a Mahrez to add the final finish. So the process we are on won’t suddenly get better with a full pre-season as the players just aren’t at the technical level needed I don’t think and we can’t go and buy them.

So what do we have? We have CBs who are actually great at clearances and winning aerial duels, 2 full backs in Tierney and Chambers who can defend narrow all day long, we have 2 midfielders in Partey and Xhaka who can pick a long range pass, we have pace and dribbling with Pepe, Saka and ESR and pace and finishing with Aubameyang. We should be playing quick counter attacking football, letting the opposition come onto us and breaking at speed. But I don’t think Arteta would accept that. Or Arsenal fans probably.

Arteta, if he keeps his job into next season needs to start well or he will lose any goodwill he has left very quickly. It might be a good place to start by looking at what his team can actually do and not what he wants them to do. It worked well last season, maybe it would work well again…"

Why would WE even want to play like City when we've already had a unique playing brand for 22 years? Arsenal should be building or modernizing that style FFS not copying our rivals.

One of the big problems with people connected to Arsenal i.e. fans, coaches, ex-players; they are too much in awe of other clubs and their styles whilst not embracing how special it is here. It's a shame but I know deep down why this is.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

:lol:

Too many people on here and Twitter trying to stick the knife into others and acting like they were right about Arteta all along.

It feels a bit overused and repetitive now.

Some of the people gloating about being right about Arteta were jerking off when we signed Willian last summer.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Crossy was briefed as well, very similar vibes to the few weeks before Emery was sacked

Yep, was expecting this. Arteta is Edu and Vinai's man, proven when they made him manager. It was an admission they dont know what they're doing and that they were pinning their hopes on Arteta to lead the club completely on the footballing side. Sacking him would be them admitting they have no clue what they're doing to the fans, media and Kroenke's.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
Wont accept the excuse that he doesn't have his players that would make his system work. Fvcking change the system until you get the players you want then. Also, as much as Arteta is to be blamed, every single player needs to be blamed as well. The manager shouldn't have to tell you how important this game is. Do they have no fvcking pride at all? The waited until 75 minutes to start playing when they only needed ONE goal.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Why not sack him today then?

What happens if we smash all the crap teams we have left to play?
Not sure there's any alternative if they sack him now, apart from promoting Per. At least with Emery they had Freddie on stand-by.

This team won't be smashing anyone, in fact 11th place is looking likely at this stage with Chelsea and Brighton to come.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Not sure there's any alternative if they sack him now, apart from promoting Per. At least with Emery they had Freddie on stand-by.

This team won't be smashing anyone, in fact 11th place is looking likely at this stage with Chelsea and Brighton to come.

Yeah but what if we do win out down the stretch?

That could save Arteta’s job. Sack him and let Steve Bould manage the team and hire someone in the summer.

U-23s might even do better without him.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Yeah but what if we do win out down the stretch?

That could save Arteta’s job. Sack him and let Steve Bould manage the team and hire someone in the summer.

U-23s might even do better without him.
Winning out might get a place in Europe next season :lol: He'd definitely stay in that case

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Yes. These things take time. A new manager with a new plan sees us go backwards even more. Have to wade through the **** for a bit. I’m not happy with failure mind you. But there’s an even bigger picture. All I’ll say on the matter.
While there is no guarantee in football the new manager would have to be a total buffoon to do worse then what Arteta served up this season.

Out of the domestic cups by January. Embarrassed in the EL without even coming up against any decent side. Needing a goal a few minutes before the end of the tie to scrape past a Benfica side in turmoil, beset by injuries. Losing to Olympiakos at home for the 2nd successive season and just about winning the tie. Going out on a whimper against Villarreal, managing only 4 shots on target in 180 minutes of football.

It is even worse when you look at his record in the league.

- worst ever start for an Arsenal manager after 6 games. Worst start after a third of the season for 46 years.

- losing 4 home games on the spin..breaking a 60 years old record.

- lowest points after 25 games for 100 years.

9 home losses in the league..equalling a record that has stood for 90 years. (We still have a few games left at home to obliterate that record).

This is just some of the bad records he set, there are so many I can't even keep track of it.

Like I said there is no risk free manager appointment but the new guy would have to be an absolute charlatan to do worse than this season from hell.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Like I said last night, we need to give Alex Scott a chance as interim.

My manager.

Top Bottom