• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Let's play Aubamawang

The biggest mistake we made is promoting Mikel to manager. He's far too inexperienced for that. They should have left him to focus on coaching and bring someone more experienced in to help with everything else. Is it because he wanted to pick his own players? If so, he has a lot of explaining to do.

Willian, Runarsson, Ceballos returning, Ødegaard (good player but no sense in developing a player RM aren't likely to sell), Partney, Mari, Cedric. Then there's giving Auba a massive contract risking another Özil situation.

Then there is relying on all these senior players with the odd exception, and leaving so many talented young players with Arsenal DNA out in the cold. The treatment of Saliba, who hasn't even played yet judged worse than Mari, Holding, Chambers. Nelson apparently works really hard in training to get a look in but can't even get off the bench because of Willian.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Did any one notice that in his interview, when he talked about other clubs being out of Europe and how it worked out well for them that he didn't mention Chelsea? It would have been the most recent and applicable example. Well that's because Chelsea's solution was to fire Mourinho. The following season they came back to win the league under Conte!

Please, for the love of god, sack Arteta and hire Conte. Please.

Do you think we’d ever go for the likes of Conte or Allegri or even someone like Tuchel?

Judging by Emery and Arteta we seem to go for the cheapest least famous route. We don’t want to pay for the best of the best.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Not sure why everybody's up in arms about Arteta's comment. the decline did start 5 years ago.
2012 -2016 . . 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd

Serious fan campaign to remove Wenger

2017 -2021 . . . 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, 9th

If ever there was evidence that it was Wenger that stood between the fans and clueless, remote owners this is it.

The problem is not what Arteta said, it's that a rookie like him is not the fix we need.

Taxi Driver

What you said just isn't logical though. I don't see how anyone can blame Arteta for taking the Arsenal job, whether you like him or think he's the worst manager in the world.

Extrapolate the situation into the real world. You're an 18 year old kid with little experience in your line of work. You get offered a very lucrative job with a historically top 3 company in the country. No-one turns that offer down. It's nothing to do with hubris. It's about self belief and career advancement. We'd all do the same.

If Arteta is a failure he'll get his comeuppance and lose his job. The people who need to be held accountable are the ones who appointed him and have hidden behind him.

Amusingly enough your post treats Arteta as if was a child that cannot be held accountable because he just doesn't understand the consequences of his actions. Which I guess has some truth to it ;)

And if you did extrapolate it into real world, even if you were indeed offered that kind of a job (and let's be honest - you wouldn't), you'd be out of it sooner than you could say "Arteta" - which is what I've been alluding to in my post. I agree with you that Arsenal, right now, is so far outside the "real world", through sheer incompetence of everyone involved in it, but that doesn't absolve him in any way.

He's a grown adult and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that he's in over his head - any sane, reasonable human being would've reasoned that way. Unless of course, you're positing that Arteta knew that he got the job through the board's incompetence and is taking the club for a ride, but that doesn't exactly paint him in favourable light.

There's a thin line between self belief and hubris - and he has crossed it. I work as a lawyer - if I were, by some miracle, offered a job as chief legal counsel for, say, Microsoft or Amazon, I would have definitely not taken it, because I'd know that I'm not ready (and almost certainly never will be) and it would only end in failure, and fast. I don't know the field you're working in, but can probably relate, can't you?

Lastly, I think we're past "IF Arteta's job a failure". It's plain to everyone by now.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Well a significant minority of at least our online fan base are scumbags or children.

I came to terms with that the way Wenger was degraded his last few years. Emery being mocked mercilessly because he had the gaul to speak with a Spanish accent. Now there are people on here literally calling Arteta a terrible human being etc

Makes me laugh because they're probably the same sort of tossers who spam social media with Be Kind stuff every time a D-list celebrity commits ****.

My distinction is if I believe someone is giving their all and still doing a poor job, I'll want them gone but I can't feel anger towards them. It's when I don't believe someone is giving 100% that it really gets to me.

What are you one about??? What the hell does the fanbase have to do with team performance this season especially,. This thread is about Arteta, you wanna ***** about the fans, go to the AFTV thread.

As for someone giving 100% being worthy of forgiveness, I say if someone's consciously giving 100% to destroy my club, then I am justified in feeling all the anger I can muster, and would be more inclined to forgive if he gave 10%.
Ignorance is not a defence under the law, why is it a defence for a football manager? Especially one who will not face his own failures and shortcomings and continuously shifts blame away from himself?

Just because you're a cold fish who hates taking a stand on anything and to whom passion if is a foreign concept, don't go throwing rocks at fans who are passionate about this club and are powerless to show it in any way but their words.

Iceman10

Established Member
Did I do that? If I did it wasn't intentional or aimed as a dig at you. I've always enjoyed our interactions on here. You're one of the few posters on here I actually respect. My apologies if I said something untoward.
I'm not going to go into the weeds on this, it was underhanded as I saw it and there was a comment I left where I said I was hurt by the attack.

I knew this thread was going to become tough (ugly) with owner/board inaction. I'm out of this thread and will try to stay out until he is gone. As I see it there is no defence of Arteta left that can stand up to scrutiny. Saying the owners/board won't pull the trigger is not an argument defending Arteta. In some ways it has come across as just a means to remind fans of their powerlessness, telling them to simmer down and/or shut up. It comes across as a bit Uriah Heep.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Not sure why everybody's up in arms about Arteta's comment. the decline did start 5 years ago.
2012 -2016 . . 3rd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd

Serious fan campaign to remove Wenger

2017 -2021 . . . 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, 9th

If ever there was evidence that it was Wenger that stood between the fans and clueless, remote owners this is it.

The problem is not what Arteta said, it's that a rookie like him is not the fix we need.

No the problem is that he said it in order to shift blame for this season away from himself and onto those who came before him, which patently false.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Do you think we’d ever go for the likes of Conte or Allegri or even someone like Tuchel?

Judging by Emery and Arteta we seem to go for the cheapest least famous route. We don’t want to pay for the best of the best.
It's such a shallow opinion of what's best... What's best for others can also be very wrong for us. Arsenal is not at a point where the club can bring a list of players Allegri or Conte would want before they join us, and I don't see them developing a young squad, they are both managers with a focus on results, not development.

Arsenal needs a manager who has experience in developing a team with limited funds, has a great understanding of managing finances, and definitely needs a great eye for young talent. I'm not gonna pretend that I know who that would be, it's a very tricky and much different job compared to managing Man City, Juventus, or PSG.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
It's such a shallow opinion of what's best... What's best for others can also be very wrong for us. Arsenal is not at a point where the club can bring a list of players Allegri or Conte would want before they join us, and I don't see them developing a young squad, they are both managers with a focus on results, not development.

Arsenal needs a manager who has experience in developing a team with limited funds, has a great understanding of managing finances, and definitely needs a great eye for young talent. I'm not gonna pretend that I know who that would be, it's a very tricky and much different job compared to managing Man City, Juventus, or PSG.
It’s such a naive view that a manager needs to focus on development. We’ve been hearing that nonsense for decades and plus the best managers develop players too.

Football is straight forward hire the best managers get the best players possible and you improve all this about development is just lip service.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
What are you one about??? What the hell does the fanbase have to do with team performance this season especially,. This thread is about Arteta, you wanna ***** about the fans, go to the AFTV thread.

As for someone giving 100% being worthy of forgiveness, I say if someone's consciously giving 100% to destroy my club, then I am justified in feeling all the anger I can muster, and would be more inclined to forgive if he gave 10%.
Ignorance is not a defence under the law, why is it a defence for a football manager? Especially one who will not face his own failures and shortcomings and continuously shifts blame away from himself?

Just because you're a cold fish who hates taking a stand on anything and to whom passion if is a foreign concept, don't go throwing rocks at fans who are passionate about this club and are powerless to show it in any way but their words.

I've talked about a subset of the fans in the context of the way they have abused Arteta and the previous 2 managers way beyond the line of what should be acceptable in civilised conversation. It's perfectly on topic.

So you believe Arteta is 'consciously giving 100% to destroy my club' that's not a rational thought process. It's just not the case and you give yourself away saying delusional things like this. There's zero reason to think Arteta's not doing his best, even if it's not good enough. If only from the standpoint of his own career advancement in the managerial game he wants his tenure at Arsenal to be successful.

I've been broadly pro Arteta during his tenure here, I still have some sympathy for him. I haven't joined the hive mind mentality on here that's he's downright awful and one of the worst Arsenal managers ever. You can say that my opinions on Arteta are rubbish ( Maybe they are ) but I can't be convicted on the grounds of not taking a stand or not staying true to my views or fence sitting. I'm more than happy to buck the trend if I believe in something.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
It’s such a naive view that a manager needs to focus on development. We’ve been hearing that nonsense for decades and plus the best managers develop players too.

Football is straight forward hire the best managers get the best players possible and you improve all this about development is just lip service.
"Best players possible" for us: Willian, Luiz, a new contract for Auba, Mari, Cedric, Partey. That's what available for us, and we both know it's not good enough.

The other option: develop players like Martinelli, Saliba, ESR, Saka, Douzi, Balogun, Azeez... That's something Conte or Allegri won't be able to do, or at least they have no experience in it so we can't know if they're gonna be any good at it.

Once the squad is developed, once we have 5-6 top quality players, sure, bring Allegri in and we can focus on results

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I'm not going to go into the weeds on this, it was underhanded as I saw it and there was a comment I left where I said I was hurt by the attack.

I knew this thread was going to become tough (ugly) with owner/board inaction. I'm out of this thread and will try to stay out until he is gone. As I see it there is no defence of Arteta left that can stand up to scrutiny. Saying the owners/board won't pull the trigger is not an argument defending Arteta. In some ways it has come across as just a means to remind fans of their powerlessness, telling them to simmer down and/or shut up. It comes across as a bit Uriah Heep.

Ah I see. Well I must have missed your reply. If I had seen you say you were hurt by something I said I would certainly have apologised.

teamsoutheast

If we bring back Saliba do we need another CB?
Depends on how much of an improvement he has made. I think he's a decent CB but there must have been something the coaching team had seen to make them feel he needed a season on loan. He's still only 19 and will make mistakes.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Incredible how arrogant he and this club are. When managers perform at this level every club gets rid. But Arsenal nooooooo.

Let's be so arrogant and stubborn that we will keep him. Rather get relegated than say we got it wrong.....again. sounds like a few posters on here.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Incredible how arrogant he and this club are. When managers perform at this level every club gets rid. But Arsenal nooooooo.

Let's be so arrogant and stubborn that we will keep him. Rather get relegated than say we got it wrong.....again. sounds like a few posters on here.
We still have "fans" who support him and say he deserves more time lol... Imagine having TH14 as profile pic and asking for an incompetent to manage the team.

teamsoutheast

We have lost over 14 games this season, what are you on about being better defensively? Teams that with good defenses don't lose that many games.

:lol:
Based on goals conceded, only Man City, Chelsea and Manchester United have conceded less goals than we have. That tells me we have improved as a defensive unit and are hard to beat. We just can't score or create consistently. The table tells you this....Screenshot_20210507-233433.jpg

Top Bottom