• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Pop Tart

Established Member
Yeah no doubt but that's part of my point. We can't expect them to have such a poor season by their recent standards again, which of course means it's been a huge opportunity wasted.
Yeah I agree, every team bar City has been pretty **** apart from villa and Leeds and they are both newly promoted In each the previous two seasons.

Yeah we have been in good positions to capitalize on other teams ****ing up multiple times only for us to do the same

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Think it's time to follow through on those little threats of not caring anymore and take a break. See you when Arsenal can finally move on from this process.
Let's see how long you will hold out.
I told myself i wouldn't watch Arsenal anymore either after Villareal yet i called off a BBQ to see the West Brom game.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

My line of thinking is, Arteta should have been sacked.

He's not going to be sacked so I'm not going to constantly squeal about it all summer because it's not going to change anything in reality.

I'll hope he does a better job next season because I want Arsenal to do well.

If we're in a similar position around Christmas time he needs to be sacked. His goodwill from his first season and the FA Cup win has been more than used up.

That's fair enough tbh.

I was feeling the same; that I want him gone (personally) but there's no point really making a fuss about it because the board clearly want to keep him.

And obviously though I don't anticipate much I do hope he improves so that a result Arsenal improve.

HOWEVER

Then I saw the line up on Sunday and I lost it. I just can't let the anger go and it brings up old and long standing grievances I have about his selections, leaving out Nelson, exiling the prodigal son Saliba, Guendouzi, our sh!tty midfield and his general man management.

None of it is really having a good effect on my health so I think I need to find some way to just cope, but the stuff he does triggers me so badly.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
None of it is really having a good effect on my health so I think I need to find some way to just cope, but the stuff he does triggers me so badly.

I must admit I went through a similar thing with Özil, it would wind me up just thinking about him.

It's good that we're all invested in the club / manager / players etc but when it gets to the point of affecting your health etc It might be worth taking a few days / weeks away from Arsenal related stuff. It's not worth your health being affected by Arteta.

It's easier said than done though. Pretty much all of us on here are idiots, we'll never be able to walk away from the club no matter how much we say we want too or however much we complain about the state of the club :lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The amount of times I have said... "That's it, I am done with this team!" ...only to be watching the next match completely invested...I have lost count, tbh.

For better or worse, til death do us part...that's not marriage, that's you and your football club :lol:

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
i lost interest when guendouzi torreira were playing midfield.... just couldnt fit it with my expectation of arsenal midfield..... it just felt so senseless and low quality. Like the club didnt care, the owners didnt care and the manager didnt care... an unloved club.

i fell out of love.... i still watch because its my club.... but this year i forgot the kickoff times for a few matches....made other plans.... never used to happen earlier....would be aware of the coming game for days. When they let Emi go...after 10 yrs of service...just gone... it felt more like a business than a club.

It probably always was that, but like all great managers and leaders do, Wenger had created a reality distortion field....where everyone was invested

for me the club was about the free flowing football and moments of magic. thats all gone. Only hope is on youngsters.....

Riou

I reckon the "randomly generated" fixtures computer, will give us a terrible start next season...City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United all within the first month, I am thinking...keep the pressure on Mikel, keep the fans pissed off!

Riou

This thought process is quite revealing of just how deep you are in with Arteta. lol.

Remember Emery in 2018/2019?

Under massive pressure, being our first new manager since 1996...gets City-home and Chelsea-away in his first 2 matches too.

Some same coincidence , I say premeditated!

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I had a feeling this would happen with one or two the longer after the Villareal two legs. If one is stuck with the allure of a supposed young manager with a high ceiling growing into a job despite inexperience, just remember the poor selections, game plans, tactics, in-game management, etc. over the two legs against Villareal. It is all factual and verifiable. Remember that was 18 months into the job. Does that show a young manager evolving on an upwards trend, or are there signs of traits that won't change? There are also things with management of players like Martinelli, where there is a pattern established with no signs of change. There is just a picture of Arteta's development curve as a manager, just like young players are scouted to assess their remaining development curves.

For me it wasn't the two legs against Villareal, it was similar with approaches in matches against West Ham and Liverpool earlier, but I do think the evidence was for anyone to see if they break down why we lost to Villareal, 18 months into his job.

Don't worry, I'm not trying hard to convert you, you are free to think your own way and the poll above is good enough for me in seeing around 85% of Arsenal fans feel the same way I do. I'm just laying out why I feel there is no solid argument to defend Arteta anymore because your comment perhaps shows some disconnect from understanding why people are where they are at with Arteta, where there are solid rational arguments against him, not just irrational hate.
I don’t have any issue with other fans having a different opinion on Arteta. As you can see from what I posted I am wavering quite a bit on what to make of Arteta. Don’t think anyone sane can be 100% for or against Arteta based on any reasonable facts. Given his inexperience and the poor season we have had I think more is in favor of not seeing him as a long term coach for Arsenal. I am not just there myself. I also keep thinking about Bill Belichick and the fact he was fired after a season or two by the Cleveland Browns only to go on to be the most successful NFL coach ever right afterwards with the New England Patriots.

I also feel we are underestimating Villarreal and Emery. I am not convinced Man U will win the final. OGS is not a particularly great coach. They have some really good players and he makes them comfortable which has carried them so far. That and the referees, which might not be the case in Europe. So let’s wait and see.

Iceman10

Established Member
Remember Emery in 2018/2019?

Under massive pressure, being our first new manager since 1996...gets City-home and Chelsea-away in his first 2 matches too.

Some same coincidence , I say premeditated!
There was still a lot of optimism going into the season, even though many didn't see the mess Sanllehi put us in until later. Remember, despite the late season collapse Emery still amassed more PL points for the season just ended than the season before he joined. Fans were pressing Josh but the mood overall during preseason, including the international tour, was all pretty positive. You'll find it hard to go back and see many in this forum calling for Emery to be sacked before the season started, definitely nowhere near 85%+ as we have now with this manager.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

If we're in a similar position around Christmas time he needs to be sacked. His goodwill from his first season and the FA Cup win has been more than used up.
I could live with that. It isn’t that he is a nailed on success to be sure. And he needs to produce results over time. So far he has won 1 FA Cup which is good. League results need to improve though.
Some fans must love mediocrity. You really want to give him another session to waste our transfer budget instead of having us fix the rot and start that by firing our worst manger in history.
For a post on AM that is both shortsighted and silly. Well done! :no:

Riou

There was still a lot of optimism going into the season, even though many didn't see the mess Sanllehi put us in until later. Remember, despite the late season collapse Emery still amassed more PL points for the season just ended than the season before he joined. Fans were pressing Josh but the mood overall during preseason, including the international tour, was all pretty positive. You'll find it hard to go back and see many in this forum calling for Emery to be sacked before the season started, definitely nowhere near 85%+ as we have now with this manager.

I liked Emery's first season, even if he ended badly here.

Still had a lot of the players from the 2013-2015 period, which I loved, in the squad...and I rate Unai as a coach, so was excited to see what we could do.

Iceman10

Established Member
I don’t have any issue with other fans having a different opinion on Arteta. As you can see from what I posted I am wavering quite a bit on what to make of Arteta. Don’t think anyone sane can be 100% for or against Arteta based on any reasonable facts. Given his inexperience and the poor season we have had I think more is in favor of not seeing him as a long term coach for Arsenal. I am not just there myself. I also keep thinking about Bill Belichick and the fact he was fired after a season or two by the Cleveland Browns only to go on to be the most successful NFL coach ever right afterwards with the New England Patriots.

I also feel we are underestimating Villarreal and Emery. I am not convinced Man U will win the final. OGS is not a particularly great coach. They have some really good players and he makes them comfortable which has carried them so far. That and the referees, which might not be the case in Europe. So let’s wait and see.
This isn't really connecting with the points I made in my comment about selection, tactics, in-match management, etc., as well as management of Martinelli and a few others, in terms of "development curve" of Arteta as a manager. Will probably continue to talk at cross purposes, so best to not continue for now.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

This isn't really connecting with the points I made in my comment about selection, tactics, in-match management, etc., as well as management of Martinelli and a few others, in terms of "development curve" of Arteta as a manager. Will probably continue to talk at cross purposes, so best to not continue for now.
I think you just want to discuss the topic in a lot more detail than I want. I personally think it is a bit futile to go into too much detail on individual decisions as we really don't know the background to many of them, nor what Arteta is trying to achieve. We also don't know if having made different decisions would necessarily have led to better results.

My main point is that we are not miles off some other teams that are criticised a lot less (Sp**s/Liverpool), or whose seasons are heralded as successful (Everton/West Ham). I am also personally convinced that the PL refs and VAR have robbed us of between 5-10 points. Add those to our tally and we would be anywhere between 7th and 5th. Not great, but not panic stations either.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom