• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just looked at the table. We have the least conceded goals behind City and Chelsea despite the silly goals we’ve conceded, Leno’s howler against Everton springing to mind, for example. There’s definitely something Arteta is trying to do, but he will have to figure out how to make the whole team flow together on both ends, and it may come down to swapping out some players that don’t fit his system, and obviously getting better as a manager. Curious to see where this team goes during the summer and beyond, to be honest.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

We finished a cup final with Giroud and Sanogo on the pitch :lol:

Sums up how bad Podolski was. I swear the Mandela effect comes into play among this fanbase because loads think he was excellent when in reality he suited neither CF or winger and was quickly turned into a squad player in his first season. How can you be so ineffective that Wenger of all people decides it's better to go with two target men one of whom had never scored a goal at this point.

Vanpayslip

Just looked at the table. We have the least conceded goals behind City and Chelsea despite the silly goals we’ve conceded, Leno’s howler against Everton springing to mind, for example. There’s definitely something Arteta is trying to do, but he will have to figure out how to make the whole team flow together on both ends, and it may come down to swapping out some players that don’t fit his system, and obviously getting better as a manager. Curious to see where this team goes during the summer and beyond, to be honest.

That goals conceded stat has been thrown around a bit recently and TBH it’s just not reflective of the point being made. Despite that stat we have lost 13 games and have a GD of 12. That stat in isolation tells us nothing.

What it does tell us is that the two managers since Wenger have been devoid of fresh ideas. Both have tried to reverse the defensive decline at the expense of attacking potency. They have both basically wasted the strength and potential of the team trying to fix a problem that can’t be fixed with the current personnel.
What is very telling is that Arteta now says it was always a long term project. His implication being that the mess that Wenger created is still being fixed. However, Mari, Cedric and Willian have been players signed on his watch and are no better. He can whinge all he wants in the winter window that he needs to get rid of deadwood but he is going about making his own.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Arteta...in??

giphy.gif

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Sums up how bad Podolski was. I swear the Mandela effect comes into play among this fanbase because loads think he was excellent when in reality he suited neither CF or winger and was quickly turned into a squad player in his first season. How can you be so ineffective that Wenger of all people decides it's better to go with two target men one of whom had never scored a goal at this point.
I was surprised at how rubbish Podolski was, I remember him being really good for Germany dunno if it was 2008 or 2010 thought he'd be huge by the. From when even Walcott is way better than you, you know it's an issue.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel

Don't really know what suited him, only thing he could do was shoot, very weird/limited player...Top quality banter Lukas provided though, at least :lol:

Walcott was injured that day, plus Wilshere was just back from an injury too, only reason he started.

blrgooner

Established Member
That goals conceded stat has been thrown around a bit recently and TBH it’s just not reflective of the point being made. Despite that stat we have lost 13 games and have a GD of 12. That stat in isolation tells us nothing.
Well that stat in isloation does tell us one thing. Our defense which consists of players most of us think(me included) are not good enough like Luiz,Holding,Mari etc etc have done better than 17 other defensive setups in EPL. According to most people here though, we should have played Saliba ahead of Holding and we would have immediately been better than City/Chelsea. Arteta is so stupid for not seeing even this. Next season when Saliba comes in and we concede the same number of goals, Arteta would be stupid not to see that Mavro is better than all our defenders.
Agree about the fact that we have lost 13 games and have GD of 12 though. That is very poor.

mpower2540

Don't really know what suited him, only thing he could do was shoot, very weird/limited player...Top quality banter Lukas provided though, at least :lol:

Walcott was injured that day, plus Wilshere was just back from an injury too, only reason he started.
I remember going to the Bradford league cup game and Podolski started up front. He was so dreadful I actually started laughing at some of the things he was doing. Made a career out of having a cannon of a left foot, half the time he looked like he’d won a competition to be playing.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Arteta sure says the right words.

Some interesting tidbits from his presser today where he mentions things like taking a hard look at the season, after "getting things wrong", takes responsibility for Willian's performances, says Leno and Saliba belong here, although adds on Saliba that when he returns they will take decisions on his role going forward (for all players he actually says).

Pity, he hasnt been able to back up his good talk with good game itself.

Vanpayslip

Well that stat in isloation does tell us one thing. Our defense which consists of players most of us think(me included) are not good enough like Luiz,Holding,Mari etc etc have done better than 17 other defensive setups in EPL. According to most people here though, we should have played Saliba ahead of Holding and we would have immediately been better than City/Chelsea. Arteta is so stupid for not seeing even this. Next season when Saliba comes in and we concede the same number of goals, Arteta would be stupid not to see that Mavro is better than all our defenders.
Agree about the fact that we have lost 13 games and have GD of 12 though. That is very poor.

It doesn’t really tell us anything though. What’s the point of being better than 17 teams in defence when you are 9th in the table? It’s a pointless statistic that actually points more towards how bad things are rather than it being a positive.
An Arteta devoid of ideas has been playing defensive tactics that have sucked the life out of creativity and attack in the team.
That statistic is probably more a nod towards the team defending as a unit improving (and even that isn’t really an improvement in whole terms considering Arsenal can only manage 50 goals in 36 games) rather than the idiots that make up the actual defence.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

Arteta...in??

giphy.gif

Context matters. It isn't just about our points total but how we've performed relative to our peers. We can finish on 61 points (hurts me to even type this). If we get 50 points next season and win the league, does that mean we are better than this season even though we got fewer points?

How many points we do or don't get from one season to the next is neither here nor there for me, but where we finish in the table and how far behind/ahead we are of everyone else. That is how you measure progress, not comparing games from previous seasons without looking at the circumstances surrounding the games then or now.

United won the league in 99 with 79 points and I don't think that points total would have won the league in the last 18 years or so.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
on whether this is going to be a busy summer...
Yes, if I have to answer to every question about every possible transfer or what players might be leaving, we will be sitting here for hours. What I can say is that we know what we want to do and there is a clear plan to put that together. It's true that there are a lot of decision to make, because as well we have a lot of players on loan, some of them have to come back and we will see step-by-step and focus on the priorities that we have. Let's see how much we can do.

on what we have to work on next season...
I want to reflect now, in the next week or so when we finish but I'm sure we've done a couple of things wrong, 100 per cent now I can tell you that now before going through it. So how am I going to make much better decisions and get the best out of these players and get the best out of this football club and all the resources that we have? I have spent a lot of time and effort identifying critical points to change and then how those changes are going to be made, in which timeframe we could do them and I want to spend time building, creating and with all the foundations that we have in place now, evolving the club and everything in the way that we want to do. I want a preseason where we can work with the players and create. I'm a really creative person, I really want to create and evolve and a lot of the time since I've come here, I've been determined to make some very, very difficult decisions that I have to do. But I want to start doing more and more and more, because the capacity that we have to do it is incredible. I am so excited about that and I see that moment of a lot of change as a big opportunity for our future.

on being 'like a Picasso' of football...
I'm not saying that! I love to create, there are a lot of good things that we've done since we changed many things but there is still a lot to do. A lot to catchup, but our potential is incredible because I can see the ambition from the club and when we have that type of ambition, we have an incredible margin to achieve what we want.

Iceman10

Established Member
Yes, if I have to answer to every question about every possible transfer or what players might be leaving, we will be sitting here for hours. What I can say is that we know what we want to do and there is a clear plan to put that together. It's true that there are a lot of decision to make, because as well we have a lot of players on loan, some of them have to come back and we will see step-by-step and focus on the priorities that we have. Let's see how much we can do.

I want to reflect now, in the next week or so when we finish but I'm sure we've done a couple of things wrong, 100 per cent now I can tell you that now before going through it. So how am I going to make much better decisions and get the best out of these players and get the best out of this football club and all the resources that we have? I have spent a lot of time and effort identifying critical points to change and then how those changes are going to be made, in which timeframe we could do them and I want to spend time building, creating and with all the foundations that we have in place now, evolving the club and everything in the way that we want to do. I want a preseason where we can work with the players and create. I'm a really creative person, I really want to create and evolve and a lot of the time since I've come here, I've been determined to make some very, very difficult decisions that I have to do. But I want to start doing more and more and more, because the capacity that we have to do it is incredible. I am so excited about that and I see that moment of a lot of change as a big opportunity for our future.

I'm not saying that! I love to create, there are a lot of good things that we've done since we changed many things but there is still a lot to do. A lot to catchup, but our potential is incredible because I can see the ambition from the club and when we have that type of ambition, we have an incredible margin to achieve what we want.
Triggered @Trilly incoming....

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Not a lot of cubism to Arteta. I'd put him down to more of a Romero Brito.

A lot of fluff and colors, but it all looks the same and has little substance.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom