• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We've got a proven goalscorer that we can't get the ball to as it though. I really don't see what difference another 9 would make in this side. We could sign one and within a month people would be complaining that he's crap. This system is designed for forwards to fail.

The system doesn't suit Auba, which let me be clear, is Arteta's fault. We don't play the ball early into space for him, it's slow build up that puts an emphasis on him playing with his back to goal a lot, not his game.

But surley Arteta knows this? If he's so hell bent on this style of football, you'd think to give even himself the best chance of success, he'd bring in a player that could do the things he wants a CF to do? I don't get it.

GunnerShy

6th isnt mid table? Mate any positions outside of 4th is midtable. Early Wenger brought some fantastic players in(still not enough though, especially at the back), late Wenger though....my word.
Is this the level of 'Arteta in' fans now?
They really have been worked down to the absolute bare bones.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Rubbish. The ball comes to Auba and he cant hold it. every 50/50 he loses...

If your expecting to Auba to become a hold up type forward at 32 years of age when that's never been his game, don't be surprised when it fails.

Better still, if that's how he wanted him to play maybe don't give him that contract? Maybe playing to his strengths would've been the logical solution to that problem though, like pretty much every manager he's played under has done.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
The system doesn't suit Auba, which let me be clear, is Arteta's fault. We don't play the ball early into space for him, it's slow build up that puts an emphasis on him playing with his back to goal a lot, not his game.

But surley Arteta knows this? If he's so hell bent on this style of football, you'd think to give even himself the best chance of success, he'd bring in a player that could do the things he wants a CF to do? I don't get it.
A good manager can adapt though. With a player like Auba, you look for a tactic that suits your class striker. You can't endlessly buy your way to succes.
EDIT: and then why did he extend his contract last season if he knew that Auba wasn't really fit for his style of football?

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
We’re 5 games into the season and have played a newly promoted team and two teams sitting at the bottom of the table with a combined 9 defeats and 1 draw, yet we’re 16th in the table for big chances created having only created 3. That is a shocking return no matter who you’ve got up front. That sort of return isn’t going to see you win a lot of games in the long run.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
A good manager can adapt though. With a player like Auba, you look for a tactic that suits your class striker. You can't endlessly buy your way to succes.

I agree with you. The point I am making is that if Arteta is so determined to play this style of player, surley a CF that can play with their back to goal is a crucial part of the team? Surley its more important than having options at DM/LB/RB/GK, which are the positions he prioritised in the summer. It seems like self sabotage to me.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Yep. If we'd known that was his plan then, I'm pretty sure everyone would've said that giving him a new deal would a bad idea.

A good coach should be able to adapt to what he has. Tuchel and Klopp didn't use him like that and he had years where he outscored Lewandowski. Then you look at someone like Rodgers with Vardy.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
I agree with you. The point I am making is that if Arteta is so determined to play this style of player, surley a CF that can play with their back to goal is a crucial part of the team? Surley its more important than having options at DM/LB/RB/GK, which are the positions he prioritised in the summer. It seems like self sabotage to me.
I can see your point though. But even then, I don't think that a new striker will change anything at this point. He might help you in clutch games from time to time. But then behind the striker it is still very stale imo.

mpower2540

The positive is ESR and Saka could hardly have played worse. They will find form. Saka strangely looked timid to me. I hope he isn't carrying something.
The positive for me is that I looked through the team sheet and I didn’t see a glaring weakness for once. Ok White was a bit iffy but I think over time he’ll be fine and the front three you could argue is a bit imbalanced/flawed.

The usual issues that I have like lack of athleticism, ability to win physical/arial duels etc weren’t there. No matter what people say that’s a good solid team that played yesterday and if you can’t get performances out of it then you’re not very good at your job I’m afraid

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Yep. If we'd known that was his plan then, I'm pretty sure everyone would've said that giving him a new deal would a bad idea.

A good coach should be able to adapt to what he has. Tuchel and Klopp didn't use him like that and he had years where he outscored Lewandowski. Then you look at someone like Rodgers with Vardy.

Think its obvious that Arteta is one of these philosopher types, he's hell bent on playing this positional style football with very rigid set ideas.

People say it would work here if we had a Man City budget, but under Arteta and Edu I don't think it would. We spent the most in Europe (discounting psg) this summer, and look at what we've ended up with. We still can't create anything.

I just don't think Arteta can spot a good player, the Mari/Saliba thing proves this. Its why he thinks Auba can play back to goal.

Haphazard

Our best players are all Arteta/Edu signings...yet you *****'s aint trusting the process. Ramsdale, Gabrial, Tomiyasu, Tierney, Partey.

The only ones you guys moan about are the low risk, low reward cheap ones, like willian and mari. Pathetic and clutching at straws.

What players did Wenger or the past regime leave us with? Dross. 35m Mustafi, old aging Auba etc i dont need to go on...
Auba-renewed by Arteta
Mustafi-offered a new contract
Xhaka-extended
Tierney-Emery signing

Ramsdale,Gabriel,Tomi- The jury is still out let's wait until we actually play good teams instead of getting gassed up by scraping past relegation fodder.

We've scored 49 goals in 39 games, it's not the players this manager is pure and utter crap.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I can see your point though. But even then, I don't think that a new striker will change anything at this point. He might help you in clutch games from time to time. But then behind the striker it is still very stale imo.

I agree to be honest, Arteta's football stinks. You'd just think he himself would want to give himself the best possible chance of success.

REWB

Tierney is Raul. Auba was extended under Edu and Arteta. As would Mustafi have been, but he rejected the offer. Xhaka too, has been extended.

Fwiw, with the exception of White and loaning out Saliba, we did good business to improve the squad this summer. Yet here we are, battling to beat Burnley and Norwich. Battered by Brentford.

Happy to trust the process. But the current one looks like turning us into a midtable club with boring football. No thanks. New process please.
The reason why these players were offered extensions is because we cant just get rid without attempting to get value from them first, its the past regimes fault that these contracts were running so low without them being sold for good money.

Players like Xhaka are still one of our most experienced midfielders. This summer we might have not had the funds (or opportunity) to *significantly upgrade on him. He was our best midfielder last season, thats how bad Wenger left the state of this club. Xhaka was our best midfielder.... And still is our second best CM after Partey.

Auba is our best striker and played well in the FA cup winning season (under Arteta)...so we couldnt just get rid on a free. Yet he has gone off it because he is past his peak but now all of a sudden its "Arteta's system", when he was playing well before the contact...

Xanth

Looking at the expected goals table or even the real table this early in the season is silly. Everton are right below the title contenders ffs. Same goes for the goals scored and conceded which can be skewed by one or two results.

I think people are also hyper-focussing on our own issues, not to deny that they exist, without considering how the teams we are supposed to be contending with are doing. Sp**s look arguably worse than us and not just because of the Palace defeat. Leicester have yet to give a convincing performance and their underlying stats are actually worse than ours.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Looking at the expected goals table or even the real table this early in the season is silly. Everton are right below the title contenders ffs. Same goes for the goals scored and conceded which can be skewed by one or two results.

I think people are also hyper-focussing on our own issues, not to deny that they exist, without considering how the teams we are supposed to be contending with are doing. Sp**s look arguably worse than us and not just because of the Palace defeat. Leicester have yet to give a convincing performance and their underlying stats are actually worse than ours.

People focus on our own issues because we’re soon two years with the current manager and there hasn’t been any progress in important areas of our game. If you don’t have a functioning attack after two years then this rightly should be a point of focus.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You can only play high up the pitch if ALL your forward players are extremely comfortable on the ball, we just dont have that. If we play high up the pitch all the time. We'd just keep losing the ball and get countered and idiots in here will be saying Arteta cant coach a defense.
They said that about Arsène but they didn't understand that to score a decent number of goals you have to take risks, unless you're an oil club or United with no holes in your squad. But even then, unless you can afford the calibre of VVD to keep your defence safe even when you're up the pitch, you'll get the occasional hammering. Overall though, if you're very good you'll win enough matches to out perform your investment.

We're going nowhere with Arteta, it's like watching paint dry, unless he changes his ideas.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
6th isnt mid table? Mate any positions outside of 4th is midtable. Early Wenger brought some fantastic players in(still not enough though, especially at the back), late Wenger though....my word.
:lol: Well our club is investing 5th in the squad and has been for 7/8 years. Before that much lower during the stadium build. If you think anything below 4th is midtable for that type of investment you don't understand how football works or haven't studied the history of the prem.

Reactions: Kav

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

People aren't basing this off 5 games, they're basing it off almost 2 years worth of evidence. We can't create chances, we haven't been able to since Arteta has been the coach, and this season is just more evidence of that.

Comparing us to other teams to justify what we are seeing is just burying your head in the sand, let's concentrate on what we see at Arsenal and not about other teams.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Auba is our best striker and played well in the FA cup winning season (under Arteta)...so we couldnt just get rid on a free. Yet he has gone off it because he is past his peak but now all of a sudden its "Arteta's system", when he was playing well before the contact...

Again even when he was "playing well" he was only getting a couple of shots off on goal a game. He was living off scraps as much then as he is now. Good luck finding a striker who could keep up that kind of efficiency.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom