• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Melquiades

So those who question Arteta should change their outlook on Mikel on the back of two narrow 1-0 wins against relegation candidates and one convincing victory against Sp**s.

But two years of dreadful football and results that precipated this are apparently to be discounted now (despite being a much larger sample). How about we wait a while longer to asses the situation?

It was two months of dreadful football.

The last 24 games of last season the team went 14-5-5 which over a full season would have put them 2nd in the PL, with a goals/game total that would have been 3rd in the PL.

I definitely haven't forgotten how bad those two months were and how poor some of the Summer 2020 moves and decisions were ... but acting like this team has played like total ass for two years straight is totally incorrect.

Taxi Driver

It was two months of dreadful football.

The last 24 games of last season the team went 14-5-5 which over a full season would have put them 2nd in the PL, with a goals/game total that would have been 3rd in the PL.

I definitely haven't forgotten how bad those two months were and how poor some of the Summer 2020 moves and decisions were ... but acting like this team has played like total ass for two years straight is totally incorrect.

The results were better, but football wasn't particularly impressive; Sunday's Sp**s game is probably the first time it truly was. In any case that's beside the point - manager must be judged throughout a whole season, not by using some arbitrary and convenient cut-off points. And by that metric Arteta has failed, let's not sugarcoat it.

What will happen now? We shall see. It's not unreasonable to think that he will not deliver again, given the past data. Certainly no more than extrapolating to where we're going after one convincing victory. The triumphant fanfares are a bit premature, don't you think (I'm not saying you're the one exhibiting undue exhilaration personally, mind you)?

Melquiades

The results were better, but football wasn't particularly impressive; Sunday's Sp**s game is probably the first time it truly was. In any case that's beside the point - manager must be judged throughout a whole season, not by using some arbitrary and convenient cut-off points. And by that metric Arteta has failed, let's not sugarcoat it.

What will happen now? We shall see. It's not unreasonable to think that he will not deliver again, given the past data. Certainly no more than extrapolating to where we're going after one convincing victory. The triumphant fanfares are a bit premature, don't you think (I'm not saying you're the one exhibiting undue exhilaration personally, mind you)?

I thought the football was mostly pretty good in the back half of last year. A lot of bright things happened from Ødegaard/ESR/Saka and Pepe really seemed to turn a corner. There were a couple terrible games but also some very impressive ones, and in 10 of 24 games we scored 3+ goals. And again, we won a lot of games.

Like I said, that stretch from October-December 2020 was absolutely ****ing terrible and of course Arteta should be judged on that (and on the mistakes that led to that terrible stretch). However, the ship clearly righted. The team played a top-4 level over 65% of last year to close it out and scored a lot of goals. And he should also be judged on that and not just that terrible 10 games.

I'm generally Arteta neutral. I was close to fully out last December and have some concerns about the way he does things and am not fully sold ... but the majority of what's happened in the last 9-10 months has been positive. If we'd hired a new manager on Christmas Day last year who'd done literally exactly what Arteta has done since then with the same roster decisions, signings, and results ... the reaction to that manager would be totally different.

Squillaci

We played excellently defensively in that half. I wouldn't mind other excellent displays. Rome wasn't build in a day and I doubt you are a prophet.
Well, if you consider conceding one goal excellent defending, not sure what else I can say to you.
It's the same dull and boring football in the second half.
Everything is forgiven because we played beautifully in the first half, but it won't be long before we are back to creating 2 chances in a game.

Well, if you consider conceding one goal excellent defending, not sure what else I can say to you.
Everything is forgiven because we played beautifully in the first half, but it won't be long before we are back to creating 2 chances in a game.
Chelsea's defence got overun by City the same day but you wouldn't say they are poor defensively. Would you? Tottenham finished above us last term. They have the potential to beat us but they got spanked instead. Give credit where it's due.

Squillaci

Chelsea's defence got overun by City the same day but you wouldn't say they are poor defensively. Would you? Tottenham finished above us last term. They have the potential to beat us but they got spanked instead. Give credit where it's due.
Everyone has potential to beat us, as it can be seen for the last 2 years. That's why we are frustrated.
Anyway, we will see. Hopefully you are right.

Melquiades

The one goal was a weird broken play where several players on both teams stopped playing because it was obvious that Xhaka had suffered a serious injury. Otherwise the team defended very well.

And again, from October-December of last year absolutely the team played horrific football. I don't think anyone would argue that. Holy hell it was bad. But from Christmas onward, we scored a ton of goals. It wasn't consistent and there were some stinker games thrown in there, but 10 3+ goal games in 24 matches is huge. The Invincibles only had 9 3+ goal games in that entire season. The Saka/ESR/Ødegaard/Pepe group played a lot of really nice football down the stretch last year and the team had some really explosive displays (dismantling West Brom in the snow, 4 goals against Leeds, coming back from 3-0 against West Ham stand out in my memory). When people talk like we're Burnley ... it's just weird. It was like that for 10 games a year ago.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
I've got a few bookmarked myself from a few weeks ago, eh, when you lot were all foaming at the mouth 😬

Here's one for example, that got a fair share of red cards and laughs...looking even a bit pessimistic now.🙃 We're finishing above **** Tottenham and Leicester for sure.

That's not really the reality of what Cristiano is at this point, tbh.
Man u have gone off way too early here. One good performance against a poor Sp**s side; at least wait until we string a number of good perfomances together.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Last time an Arsenal manager won this award, was October 2015.

Mike Phelan and Paul Clement have won manager of the month since, but not any Arsenal coach :lol:
Surprised emery didn't win during his 22 match unbeaten run (though that wasn't really a great run and it was all comps). Guess pep or klopp would have got it. They were winning almost everything

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

When people talk like we're Burnley ... it's just weird. It was like that for 10 games a year ago.
Too many on A-M are too heavily invested in the Arteta out position. It's any stick will do if you can beat Arteta with it. And no other view is tolerated besides full on Arteta hate. Quite a pathetic display of group think, but there you are. So when we have a great NLD win, instead of celebrating and being happy they sulk for a day and then come back with renewed vigour.

It will be really interesting to see how many will be able to pivot should Arteta become successful with Arsenal. They might have to take a page out of that South Carolina senator Lindsey Graham's playbook...

IstraBalagina

Did any other team win all their games in September? Arteta is going to win the manager of the month. AM gonna lose its **** :lol:
Well he was the worst manager the last 22 months.
But if he keeps winning with good performances no one will complain, let's see what happens in the next 6-7 games.

Top Bottom