• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
I think Saka will sign on in the summer without CL, this group of players seems bought into the 'project' however he'd probably have some sort of CL clause following.

I see us hopefully getting 5th and then we'll have another pretty big window and then it's 4th or sacked for me. Basing this purely on what I think the board will do.

For one reason or another, feel the board view this season as Mikels first. The comments from Edu suggest that anyway.
Why give Arteta another season? Do you think Mik can ever take us to a PL title? If the answer is no, then you should be in support of sacking him now.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

This is a genuine question for those who are still “team Arteta”. How can you trust Arteta to buy the right attackers for us when chance creation and finishing has been a big problem for us?
Some of us don't, but we will see it anyways.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

This is a genuine question for those who are still “team Arteta”. How can you trust Arteta to buy the right attackers for us when chance creation and finishing has been a big problem for us?

Well the big chances created stat is pretty damning tbh.

That's one thing I can't really answer as it's been a consistent weak stat for Arsenal since Arteta joined and we've had ESR and Ødegaard since last season.

For perspective here's our big chances created since 15/16:

15/16 - 88 big chances created, 1st in the league

16/17 - 55 big chances created, 3rd in the league, that seemed to be a low year in general for all teams in terms of big chances created

17/18 - 81, 2nd in the league

18/19 - 72, 5th in the league

19/20 - 48; 12th in the league

20/21 - 45; again 12th

21/22 - 34; 16th in the league

16/17 seemed to be a weird year for the whole league, I'm not sure if someone fxcked up the metrics but even then 55 big chances created is STILL higher than anything Arteta has achieved in terms of creating big chances. So not really great in that respect if we are being honest.

I guess the positive is that we have taken a lot of shots this season; 483, this is 3rd in the league so the hope would be that once things click more then we'd create better chances.

But that would be more hope than evidence.

I will say that defensively we do seem to look good so that's a positive to add as well, but as many here have pointed out, I think building a free flowing and creative attack is the hardest challenge and so far Arteta hasn't overcome it.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I dont know if you can trust anyone 100% tbh & there are not many top strikers out there. He obviously wanted Vlahovic.

Saying finishing has been a big problem is accurate but to say chance creation is a big problem is rather a myth.

I am not a fan of XG but its probably the only reference tool we can use for expected goals.

Low XG was an issue early in the season as many on here used it as a stick to beat Arteta.

Well we are still 4th in the league for XG

edit: just seen the stat on big chance creation & that does not look impressive.

However the main reason we have gone on a bad run the last 3 games is that players like Saka, ESR, Martinelli & Ode have simply stopped scoring/creating as much. I love them all but they have come up short & had dips in form/confidence.

The striker Laca/Eddie have been poor & we have lost both 1st choice fullbacks & our best midfielder so we are no longer as solid.

I see no reason why Arteta./Edu cannot identify a striker who will improve us. Lets be honest a lot of strikers would.
its fine to point the finger at Arteta for leaving the squad short of options this season, reports were that we did look to loan a striker in Jan but unfortunately it didnt happen.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Well the big chances created stat is pretty damning tbh.

That's one thing I can't really answer as it's been a consistent weak stat for Arsenal since Arteta joined and we've had ESR and Ødegaard since last season.

For perspective here's our big chances created since 15/16:

15/16 - 88 big chances created, 1st in the league

16/17 - 55 big chances created, 3rd in the league, that seemed to be a low year in general for all teams in terms of big chances created

17/18 - 81, 2nd in the league

18/19 - 72, 5th in the league

19/20 - 48; 12th in the league

20/21 - 45; again 12th

21/22 - 34; 16th in the league

16/17 seemed to be a weird year for the whole league, I'm not sure if someone fxcked up the metrics but even then 55 big chances created is STILL higher than anything Arteta has achieved in terms of creating big chances. So not really great in that respect if we are being honest.

I guess the positive is that we have taken a lot of shots this season; 483, this is 3rd in the league so the hope would be that once things click more then we'd create better chances.

But that would be more hope than evidence.

I will say that defensively we do seem to look good so that's a positive to add as well, but as many here have pointed out, I think building a free flowing and creative attack is the hardest challenge and so far Arteta hasn't overcome it.

When all's said & done, this thread's going to make the Wenger Out thread over on Goonersworld seem like a smooth transition in comparison :lol:

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
The guy is in his third season here and people want to write off the season to give him time? Top 4 or GTFO.
He should GTFO even if he scums the 4th place. I’d only change my mind about Tets if he won the PL title this season. He’s ****.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Oh my gosh you just made me remember. That thread needs archiving so that mankind in the future can look back at it.

"A forum that forgets its past has no future". Took a bit of creative license there but it's a great quote from Winston Churchill :lol:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

FQi2cXAaMAooAyt
You can rack up xG by creating loads of half chances which is what we seem to be doing. As @dka1 pointed out we are 3rd in the league for total shots taken.

I’ve said a longer piece on how Mikel’s system creates a lot of quantity but not quality in terms of chance creation and I think this supports it.

Notice how the good attacking sides have a high xG AND a high big chances created while we have a top 5 xG but a bottom 5 big chances created.

Highlighting a stat anamoly doesn’t defend him, it just raises more question marks tbh.

Haphazard

We are going to concede more goals this season after spending over 100m on it :lol:

Only at Arsenal could this not be a sackable offense

Ultimately its an incompetent Vinai relying on an incompetent Edu relying on an incompetent Arteta. None of these guys can actually justify them being in a job but since they look out for each other they don't rock the boat.

Can you imagine being a technical director and saying you don't care where the team finishes you just want to see them play like its game of FM.

Imagine a manager who has 2-3 sackable runs every season, falls out with players regularly, boring brand of football given all the time and money in the world yet somehow makes his team worse year by year.

Imagine a CEO that can't do due diligence properly and gets caught up in a fraud case.

This is the level of our senior management, in a serious organization and club these guys don't last more than a year.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

You can rack up xG by creating loads of half chances which is what we seem to be doing. As @dka1 pointed out we are 3rd in the league for total shots taken.

I’ve said a longer piece on how Mikel’s system creates a lot of quantity but not quality in terms of chance creation and I think this supports it.

Notice how the good attacking sides have a high xG AND a high big chances created while we have a top 5 xG but a bottom 5 big chances created.

Highlighting a stat anamoly doesn’t defend him, it just raises more question marks tbh.

This doesn’t make any sense.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom