• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arteta knows he's untouchable here. No manager gets an extension after 3 straight defeats in the manner we did, but yet here we are.
Arteta talked some bollocks about changing the culture when he took over. So how does getting rewarded for failure change any ****ing culture?
The whole thing is just laughable if not sad. Juve were quick to act like a big club by binning Pirlo when it didn't work out. But us? We just dug in and hope things will turn out ok. We're no longer a big big club. Offering Him that contract after three losses on the trot confirmed it.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I'm really interested in how the world cup changes the dynamic. Will we get players putting in 80% so they don't get injured?
Think we’re already seeing the effects with Gakpo saying he won’t move anywhere he’s not guaranteed minutes from the very beginning. In a normal season you’d have a few months to adapt when you transfer but a November World Cup takes that away.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Arteta knows he's untouchable here. No manager gets an extension after 3 straight defeats in the manner we did, but yet here we are.
Arteta talked some bollocks about changing the culture when he took over. So how does getting rewarded for failure change any ****ing culture?
The whole thing is just laughable if not sad. Juve were quick to act like a big club by binning Pirlo when it didn't work out. But us? We just dug in and hope things will turn out ok. We're no longer a big big club. Offering Him that contract after three losses on the trot confirmed it.

Iwobeast

Established Member

Player:Martinelli

Unacceptable numbers

When the midfield constantly gets dominated by bottom half teams you're not going to create enough chances to make goals happen. Even world class strikers would struggle here. This is a structural problem, don't believe it comes down to the individual quality of Saka/Martinelli.

The absence of Partey has been a huge blow, if the midfield doesn't get addressed this summer we're in trouble.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
That's not even an opinion though is it, Arteta is clearly a rookie manager regardless of whether you think he has coaching talent/ability or not.

We're clearly not a serious profit driven institution then. We gave Aubameyang a 350kpw contract mid 2020, then little over a year later paid him to play for Barcelona and become Europe's top scorer since the move.

I don't believe Arteta has any relevant knowhow for what it's worth. But generally speaking it seems to me like you're aligning what you see with what you believe has to be true instead of the other way around.

What I'm doing is leaving people paid to do their jobs, to get on with their jobs. Especially in a case where our revenue streams as a football club are where they are as a result of the last 2 years globally. I simply do not believe that the club are in a position to mess around, with so many uncertainties going around at the moment.

I say this all the time to people who think we are being run by mugs who are throwing money away. One of our theories will come to pass in the end, it just a matter of time. I dont think we will move from our current positions at this point in time.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
That’s a myth. Wenger only finished in 2018 not 1918. There are about 600+ regular employees at Arsenal, not including match day stewards. Doubt it was much different when Arsène retired, he had all the analytics guys, medical staff, set piece coach and many others. Don’t forget they sacked about 50+ coaches. This idea that the last couple of years can be called ‘modern football’ now, and Arteta is somehow shielded by a wagon load of experts aiding his learning curve seems a big stretch to justify several seasons of underachievement while we wait for the predicted Big Bang.

I get those figures from Arsène's last book and the book written about him by Xavier Rivoire.

Wenger started at Arsenal with about 70 employees at the club if I remember correctly, and he ended his tenure there with over 700. The overall point being that the level of technicality behind the scenes has risen ten fold, if not more.

Now people can point to situations like that ex Barca guy who profited off the Pepe deal, or some of the decision making under Gazidis' tenure. Definitely shocking moments that leave a lot to be desired. Does it make me want to throw out the entire baby with the bath water, with respect to Arsenal's football operations and its competence. My answer is no.

I said in response to jones, that I am willing to give these officials the benefit of the doubt, until they clearly prove me wrong. And looking at a league table in May 2021 and then May 2022 and drawing conclusions is not enough to prove me wrong Im afraid.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
When the midfield constantly gets dominated by bottom half teams you're not going to create enough chances to make goals happen. Even world class strikers would struggle here. This is a structural problem, don't believe it comes down to the individual quality of Saka/Martinelli.

The absence of Partey has been a huge blow, if the midfield doesn't get addressed this summer we're in trouble.
Even Partey is a huge issue. Injury prone and 29 soon.

Need to keep an eye on his role in the team in addition to needing to make another star midfield signing.

But we've taken the piss with midfield for a decade. These ****s don't know what a good PL footballer looks like.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

View attachment 6880

By Amitai Winehouse

Mikel Arteta has taken responsibility for Arsenal’s drop in form in their push for a Champions League place.

The north London club lost 3-0 to Tottenham Hotspur last Thursday before falling to a 2-0 defeat by Newcastle on Monday night.

Those two results, combined with Tottenham’s 1-0 win over Burnley on Sunday, means Antonio Conte’s side need just a draw at already-relegated Norwich City to likely secure a place in the top four. Arteta’s side are two points adrift of Tottenham.

It represents a remarkable drop off for Arsenal, who needed just two wins from their last three games to earn a return to the Champions League for the first time since 2016-17.

Granit Xhaka questioned other members of the squad after the defeat on Monday.

However, Arteta refused to blame his players: “No, I am the maximum responsible (person) all the time.

“If somebody has created an expectation this year that no one in this room probably would talk about at the start of this season, it’s those players that are there.”

Arsenal face Everton in the Premier League on Sunday and Arteta added: “We will still have five days to prepare for that match. We know what we have to do.

“There’s not a lot of words that are needed after the performance.”

Arsenal lost courtesy of a Ben White own goal and a Bruno Guimaraes effort five minutes from the end.
I feel like he's only doing this now he has absolute power at the club and the fans singing that song I won't even describe.

Earlier in his reign of terror he was throwing guys under the bus, screaming about percentages/being unlucky and borderline crushing on Van Dijk and co. All in all he was a man that seemed to know he was chancing it and was desperately fighting for his job.

I don't buy this change of tune at all.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

A lack of goals this season is not really surprising considering the striker situations. We’ve been reliant on u21 players all season. What worries me is the complete lack of competitiveness in some games. It’s not getting better until we avoid these 0/10 performances
A lack of goals since he's been manager, just wanted to correct that for you.

Auba was breaking every PL goalscoring record you could think of before Arteta came in, his numbers declined, he left Arsenal and his numbers have gone back to normal.

Just process the information, this isn't about u21 players sir.

Legend14

Established Member
This season was painful. Going into every single match I was worried as a fan. Way too much stress.

I think we decided Arteta was a poor manager ages ago, and still he is here.
Fact is - he is not going anywhere, so now what? We need to mitigate his presence for our own sanity.
We need a much deeper team of quality, confident, brave, impactful players. We would have made CL in spite of our manager if we had some depth. It’s Edu job to fix this.

We need Arteta to put aside his ego and hire someone to help develop an attack. He can’t keep up this facade that he alone knows what to do. Clearly, we need better ideas.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Where do we go from here?

Are the owners going to piss another 150m on the wall again?

The biggest mistake this club has ever made was giving Arteta that extension. It wasn't a bad thing in and of itself but they should have waited for the season to end and evaluated before making any decision. Now we can't sack. The club have no choice but to invest another gargantuan amount in the summer or else the manager will be a sitting duck. What even makes that decision even look worse now is that he was offered that extension after 3 consecutive losses.

This situation just creates apathy next season. This feels even worse than the Emery dark days.
If the owners keep backing him financially we will improve, I just don't believe we'll improve as much as we would under a better manager.

The owners backing him is a real catch 22. By virtue of signing better players we'll continue to improve but that improvement will lead to us retaining a coach that isn't good enough. Eventually he'd get found out but it would be a real waste of time.

I'm not really sure what's the best solution as an Arsenal fan.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

I get those figures from Arsène's last book and the book written about him by Xavier Rivoire.

Wenger started at Arsenal with about 70 employees at the club if I remember correctly, and he ended his tenure there with over 700. The overall point being that the level of technicality behind the scenes has risen ten fold, if not more.

Now people can point to situations like that ex Barca guy who profited off the Pepe deal, or some of the decision making under Gazidis' tenure. Definitely shocking moments that leave a lot to be desired. Does it make me want to throw out the entire baby with the bath water, with respect to Arsenal's football operations and its competence. My answer is no.

I said in response to jones, that I am willing to give these officials the benefit of the doubt, until they clearly prove me wrong. And looking at a league table in May 2021 and then May 2022 and drawing conclusions is not enough to prove me wrong Im afraid.
Fair enough. But Conte making top 4 in just a few months, and Tuchel also, makes me want to add May 2020 to your figures. And then an average of 7th place in 3 seasons looks pretty poor considering what we’ve spent.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We all know if we fall apart next season it’ll be because we had a winter World Cup, which no other club in world football will have to contend with.

I‘m afraid that next season is also a free hit. 22/23 is really just a long preseason for 23/24.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Unacceptable numbers
Why are they referring to Laca's goal as a penalty but not mentioning that Saka has 0 goals and 1 assist in his last 9 apps if you take away his penalties.

I know that's not the purpose of the tweet but it's just unecessary.

yeah I thought we ****ed up in the summer window and nothing I've seen this season changes my mind on that. We'd have been much better off making more offensive signings.
Starting to think he avoids offensive signings because a part of him knows it's just not in his locker. Look what he did with Auba. Look at the absolute failure of Pepe under him. @Rasmi made a good point that even if we do sign a 25 goal a season striker for Mikel, he's probably getting 15.

Latest posts

Top Bottom