Mikel Arteta: Miktoria Concordia Crexit

Slug457

Since people keep posting Ornstein stuff, here is a interview were he keeps trying to get Giroud to say the reason why Arsenal have not won as much as Chelsea in the past 10 years is due to a different culture, Giroud is very clear in his answer that the difference is money

But lets give Arteta cultists the benefit of the doubt and say Wengers culture was rotten and needed replacing, what exactly is Artetas culture? If it is fostering a team spirit we always had that, it is clearly not a winning mentality since he's taken us out of Europe for the first time in decades on record spending, being "ruthless" is definitely a change, because former managers did not have the luxury of being able to ship out whoever they wanted getting no fee back, they actually had to work with the players and within a constricted budget. What evidence is there that Artetas culture is any good, certainly any evidence that it is better than Wengers culture (or Emerys even)?

Just seems like a new excuse if he continues to fail next season, he cannot succeed because Wengers terrible culture is still holding him back (despite Tets being captain/leader during our "rotten culture" days and praising the culture of the club at the time :lol:)

GDeep™

The Solihull Slob
Since people keep posting Ornstein stuff, here is a interview were he keeps trying to get Giroud to say the reason why Arsenal have not won as much as Chelsea in the past 10 years is due to a different culture, Giroud is very clear in his answer that the difference is money

But lets give Arteta cultists the benefit of the doubt and say Wengers culture was rotten and needed replacing, what exactly is Artetas culture? If it is fostering a team spirit we always had that, it is clearly not a winning mentality since he's taken us out of Europe for the first time in decades on record spending, being "ruthless" is definitely a change, because former managers did not have the luxury of being able to ship out whoever they wanted getting no fee back, they actually had to work with the players and within a constricted budget. What evidence is there that Artetas culture is any good, certainly any evidence that it is better than Wengers culture (or Emerys even)?

Just seems like a new excuse if he continues to fail next season, he cannot succeed because Wengers terrible culture is still holding him back (despite Tets being captain/leader during our "rotten culture" days and praising the culture of the club at the time :lol:)
Respect to Giroud there, didn’t get sucked into the narrative that rat Ornstein was trying to build.

Trilly

Full-Time Respecter Of Arteta
Trusted ⭐
Love him or hate him, Arteta is building an interesting team with quality and some very specific technical players. Guy is playing real life FM.

Might be true that he’s just a very inflexible manager and he’s going to actually become Pep-lite once he gets his expensive squad. If we get everyone we’re linked to that is a crazy good summer.

I’m massively skeptical ofc but…could this be the season the process ends. 😰

Trilly

Full-Time Respecter Of Arteta
Trusted ⭐
If we do end up spending another big bag of money this summer.

We finish 5th again, get to the semis of the Europa, but win the FA and League cup.

Would you sack Arteta, or just ask him to resign with immediate effect?
Two trophies but still failed the main objective after four years and loads of spending, it would be ruthless but fair to sack him after a season like that.

Only context could save him, like maybe the two cup wins were convincing and the EL knockout was unlucky, maybe you could allow him to stay if you could see the team had finally clicked by the end of the season.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
You mean Arsenal? The main thing was for unity and team spirit, he wanted them to be close as a group. Remember the stuff about the Brazilian themed lunch?

]
giphy.gif

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
If we do end up spending another big bag of money this summer.

We finish 5th again, get to the semis of the Europa, but win the FA and League cup.

Would you sack Arteta, or just ask him to resign with immediate effect?

Doubt Barca will be generous enough to loan us Auba to bail Tets plastic-laden arse again.

We're winning jack **** whilst he's running this club as his own fiefdom.

Blood on the Tracks

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Just came across a Sid Lowe Guardian interview with Lauren from 2017. It's titled Lauren : How I rose from humble beginnings to an Arsenal 'Invincible'

Arsenal had them. They also had something else that drove them that unbeaten 2003-04, Lauren says; something less tangible. “The passion we played with was incredible. Thierry Henry was our best player: so talented and he wanted to win everything, [even] playing cards on the bus. Yet I’d choose Patrick Vieira. You’d see him training and think he wasn’t at his best but in games he was, week after week. Patrick was incredible, exactly what a captain should be. He stood up to everything but with ‘good manners’; aggressive but there was a classiness to it. If I could choose someone to play for Arsenal now, it would be him.
“But it was everyone,” Lauren continues, thumping his fist Martin Keown-style. “Martin hated losing. I wasn’t a big talker but when I had to say something, people listened. Campbell, the same. And Lehmann: don’t get me started. Lehmann could look in the mirror and have an argument. Incredible, strong characters. Ashley Cole wasn’t one to talk much but had that character. So did Freddie. Dennis was quiet. He seemed cold because he didn’t show emotion but it was there inside him. The same with Kanu. They wanted to win, they had focus too.

Strong characters, personalities that had an immense self drive to succeed and win. Elite mentalities to a man. Arsène being hands off with these guys was absolutely fine. They didn't need motivating or having the law laid down to them. They would police themselves.

People will say 'Well they're exceptionally talented players, that's what made them so good' But with the greatest respect the likes of Lauren, Keown, Freddie weren't the most naturally gifted players ever but they became exceptional through their mentalities and desire to win and succeed. That's down to their personalities.

Asked if he thinks that any of Arsenal’s current side could have played for the Invincibles, Lauren’s response is swift. “Alexis [Sánchez] would fit perfectly. Because of his talent but also his mentality.” They shouldn’t let him go then? “The club have reached the point where they should keep their best players to aspire to more.

This is just the icing on the cake. Alexis the guy that Hector thought wanted to win 'Too much' is the one Lauren thinks could have made it in the 'Invincibles' not just because of his talent but because of his mentality.

That Arsenal squad around 2017 when Alexis left couldn't have coped with players of the mentality and drive and will to win of the Invincibles era.

This is the stuff I'm talking about when it comes to culture in the dressing room. A lot of it is very hard to define. No one player made the Invincibles such monsters mentality wise, it was collective personalities and how they meshed together and lifted each other up that made those guys so, so special. But that elite culture was there in spades.

Last edited:

Just came across a Sid Lowe Guardian interview with Lauren from 2017. It's titled Lauren : How I rose from humble beginnings to an Arsenal 'Invincible'

Strong characters, personalities that had an immense self drive to succeed and win. Elite mentalities to a man. Arsène being hands off with these guys was absolutely fine. They didn't need motivating or having the law laid down to them. They would police themselves.

People will say 'Well they're exceptionally talented players, that's what made them so good' But with the greatest respect the likes of Lauren, Keown, Freddie weren't the most naturally gifted players ever but they became exceptional through their mentalities and desire to win and succeed. That's down to their personalities.

This is just the icing on the cake. Alexis the guy that Hector thought wanted to win 'Too much' is the one Lauren thinks could have made it in the 'Invincibles' not just because of his talent but because of his mentality.

That Arsenal squad around 2017 when Alexis left couldn't have coped with players of the mentality and drive and will to win of the Invincibles era.

This is the stuff I'm talking about when it comes to culture in the dressing room. A lot of it is very hard to define. No one player made the Invincibles such monsters mentality wise, it was collective personalities and how they meshed together and lifted each other up that made those guys so, so special. But that elite culture was there in spades.
Great Post. Are we showing signs of regaining that kind of fight? As in, whom do you people think has the potential to play for the Invincibles?

Blood on the Tracks

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Great Post. Are we showing signs of regaining that kind of fight? As in, whom do you people think has the potential to play for the Invincibles?

Well I don't think we'll see a dressing room culture like the Invincibles had again. That was pretty freakish.

From the outside looking in it feels like the squad seems pretty harmonious and on the same page for the most part, but even though I think the dressing room culture is the foundations of a great side you still need the quality of players and manager to get you in the mix at the top. We're not going to win stuff just because we have a good dressing room culture. We're still a fair way off in many respects I think.

To be honest I wouldn't have any of the current crop up their with the Invincibles. Ask me again in a couple of years and If Saka has added more goals to his game I'd potentially have him replacing Freddie on the right.
I can't think of anyone else that comes close at the moment though.

Macho

Has Trust Issues With Processes
Dusted 🔻
No :lol:

That's why it's so stupid. The backbone of our strategy is hoping these young lads all stick together and all turn WC at the same time.

The exact same sort of side that melted at the thought of Sanchez's winning mentality ironically.

No :lol:

That's why it's so stupid. The backbone of our strategy is hoping these young lads all stick together and all turn WC at the same time.

The exact same sort of side that melted at the thought of Sanchez's winning mentality ironically.
This side is a bit talented though, man for man but perhaps needs a little bit of grit and character. If only Xhaka was more athletic he'd get into imo. I'd say Partey isn't a far cry away from Gilberto/Edu. Rasmsdale also looks like he could fill Lehman's shoes.

Macho

Dusted 🔻
This side is a bit talented though, man for man but perhaps needs a little bit of grit and character. If only Xhaka was more athletic he'd get into imo. I'd say Partey isn't a far cry away from Gilberto/Edu. Rasmsdale also looks like he could fill Lehman's shoes.
Very talented which will only get more talented. These same guys harping on about culture are the ones who are the most critical of the team from a quality standpoint that's why I am not buying this culture rally.

It's just far and away from what some are preaching here. I'm assuming our best players like Saka or captain Ødegaard isn't going to grab Elneny by the throat and tell him he's not good enough at half time or after a loss are they?

I just see guys on here getting aroused by absolute nonsense.

Macho

Dusted 🔻
Orsntein is taking pictures and writing gossip whilst hiding in the bushes of the Colney and his opinion of a winning mentality is being taken seriously on here. This is whilst Arsène who's managed a team that went unbeaten for a season get's rubbished and blamed for culture problems.

A-M is a crock of sh*t a lot of the time.

Arsenal Quotes

I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts