• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

@Nacho @Trilly @Blood on the Tracks @Kav @Rimaal @Sebastes @El Duderino @Mrs Bergkamp @Rex Bezos @jones @Heskey @Penn_ @Hunta @OnlyOne @DanDare @Taylor Gang Gunners @field442

Is this true? (Sorry for the "flip-flops" I forgot to include and yes I'm aware of the dusted tag too).

The joke is way more than half of those names are either pro Arteta or are completely pacified and tolerate absolutely anything as long as new/better players keep coming in.

Me, I don't like Arteta think he's average and a questionable man manager but if hes good for Arsenal, then he's good for Arsenal I will take the L on my opinions.

You shouldn't listen to @Shllin he's garbage tier. Pretends to be neutral on Arteta when it's peak, pipes up with stupid sh*t when it's looking good. His posts are like gum that get stuck at the bottom of your shoe and you need to scrape off, absolute rubbish.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
By the way your view is not too far off my own. Except that 2 years in he rattled me with how big bozo he was down the stretch and how soul crushing his Sp**s debacle was. But I am not content and he has to prove himself to me at least with all the time and money he has bigger expectations no more get out of jail cards and free hits period in my book

Yeah that makes sense. Sounds like he broke you. I think all the talk of spend is a bit blown out of proportion. Our net spend is high because we're buying young. It's just like buying a house with no/little mortgage. Hypothetically we could have brought in the same 'quality' of players but for less than half the price if they were 30 instead of 20. But all else being equal I'd rather spend more to buy young because wages/resale value balance out the up front cost over the long term and then on top of that there's always the possibility that they might bang.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Yeah that makes sense. Sounds like he broke you. I think all the talk of spend is a bit blown out of proportion. Our net spend is high because we're buying young. It's just like buying a house with no/little mortgage. Hypothetically we could have brought in the same 'quality' of players but for less than half the price if they were 30 instead of 20. But all else being equal I'd rather spend more to buy young because wages/resale value balance out the up front cost over the long term and then on top of that there's always the possibility that they might bang.

I'd argue that younger players are much cheaper than older players on the whole. Compare Saliba to VVD. Most would agree that VVD has been a quality signing, and most would agree that Saliba can reach that level for us, or at least close to it. Similar frame, height, style of play as well.

VVD cost £75m as a 27 year old 4 years ago, Saliba cost £27m as an 18 year old 3 years ago.

You definitely take risks with younger players, and even the ones that work out will make mistakes while they mature, but its definitely the way to go if you want to build quality on a budget.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

I'd argue that younger players are much cheaper than older players on the whole. Compare Saliba to VVD. Most would agree that VVD has been a quality signing, and most would agree that Saliba can reach that level for us, or at least close to it. Similar frame, height, style of play as well.

VVD cost £75m as a 27 year old 4 years ago, Saliba cost £27m as an 18 year old 3 years ago.

You definitely take risks with younger players, and even the ones that work out will make mistakes while they mature, but its definitely the way to go if you want to build quality on a budget.
Agreed, but my point was that you pay more for a younger signing than you would for an older one if the current quality (not future potential) is identical. Saliba is making me shift my goalposts from 4th to 3rd, he's ffing brilliant. But I don't think anyone here would say he is, right now, better than 27yr old VVD. He has the potential to be that and then some.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Agreed, but my point was that you pay more for a younger signing than you would for an older one if the current quality (not future potential) is identical. Saliba is making me shift my goalposts from 4th to 3rd, he's ffing brilliant. But I don't think anyone here would say he is, right now, better than 27yr old VVD. He has the potential to be that and then some.

Ok fair enough, I misinterpreted your post then, apologies. In that case, I'd still back your original post because an 18 year old Saliba was definitely not at the level of a VVD, where a 21 year old is showing very promising signs of reaching that level soon.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we could have assembled a squad of equal quality to our current one for say 150 instead of 300 mil if we bought old instead of young. Which is why I think using the spend as a hammer against arteta is a bit much. It should definitely enter the conversation, but it shouldn't slam the door shut on the way in.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
The youth movement I can get behind and take some licks for it. But remember he had his come to Jesus moment quite late on youthful players. This is the same manager who started Willian in front of wingback Saka his first season

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

You know, that makes me think. I wonder if someone has plotted a graph of player cost vs age and at what age or range of ages are players at their most expensive and cheapest. This sort of information must be out there, even if only accessible to the top clubs.

Reason I say that last part is because the cost of those players won't just be based on age but a range of factors you'll have to control for, then do some statistics jiggery pokery etc. to get a reliable set of figures that you can rely on when big money is on the line.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we could have assembled a squad of equal quality to our current one for say 150 instead of 300 mil if we bought old instead of young. Which is why I think using the spend as a hammer against arteta is a bit much. It should definitely enter the conversation, but it shouldn't slam the door shut on the way in.

They had a problem with reselling and whilst Arsenal will always have some sort of pull, they struggled to attract the best.

Signings experienced kids with high ceilings should solve both of those.

Although it’s worth pointing out some of the transfer fees and salaries they will be forced to give kinda defeats the purpose, there’s a chance they will end up back in square one with a few.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

The youth movement I can get behind and take some licks for it. But remember he had his come to Jesus moment quite late on youthful players. This is the same manager who started Willian in front of wingback Saka his first season
Yeah and even now I'm not entirely sure if it's his idea or edu's. I think it's his. He's young, he's learning. I would have much preferred if Arsenal wasn't his first, we're not bournemouth, he should have popped his 'cherry' there. But that die has been cast and it is what it is.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Yeah and even now I'm not entirely sure if it's his idea or edu's. I think it's his. He's young, he's learning. I would have much preferred if Arsenal wasn't his first, we're not bournemouth, he should have popped his 'cherry' there. But that die has been cast and it is what it is.
Exactly damn sorry I was such a prick to you, I just had 6 shots of Mezcal and I even feel regret for trashing DJCRAPSTAR. We all want the best for the club although I got very little faith in Mikel and I am frightened that we are tied to his learning curve for better or worse.

specially joined this forum , after years of lurking, to say back your manager . Whether last season was successful or not who cares its done and over with. Many arteta critics on here moaned of the playing style , yet in all or nothing you can clearly see he's asking them to be offensive , and to play a certain way . Now he has a full squad (albeit possibly still 1-2 players short as we are still in the market supposedly) , according to his style so support your team , become the 12th man and talk at the end of the season. I've been to the Emirates (not last season) and fans need to be aware how much the players energise off the fans positivity , as shown against Leicester.

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

Exactly damn sorry I was such a prick to you, I just had 6 shots of Mezcal and I even feel regret for trashing DJCRAPSTAR. We all want the best for the club although I got very little faith in Mikel and I am frightened that we are tied to his learning curve for better or worse.
What you are describing is PTSD down to a T

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Hard to believe honestly given the bolded :lol:

No it was Jesus that came to us :lol:

db10_therza

Trusted ⭐

You know, that makes me think. I wonder if someone has plotted a graph of player cost vs age and at what age or range of ages are players at their most expensive and cheapest. This sort of information must be out there, even if only accessible to the top clubs.

Reason I say that last part is because the cost of those players won't just be based on age but a range of factors you'll have to control for, then do some statistics jiggery pokery etc. to get a reliable set of figures that you can rely on when big money is on the line.
As a data scientist by trade, I take offence at the bolded bit :lol:

Top Bottom