• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

GunnerShy

Just cos players turn 30 doesn’t mean they’ll decline straight away lmao a lot of
the best players in the world are 30+.

Arsenal fans too obsessed with youth they think anyone over 23 is a ticking time bomb. Liverpool still have some of the best players in the league and will compete at the top as long as they stay fit.
Sorry mate, I must have missed the part where I said they'd decline straight away.

That said, give me the list of outfield players who are better in their 30s than late 20s.

The question is how quickly they will decline. Their ability to stay fit is all part of that 'decline'. For some it comes early (Rooney, Fabregas). For others they maintain a high level for much longer. But they still decline.

That's why Liverpool's position is clearly the one to target. If you want to make an argument for it being Chelsea, Man City or UTD by all means articulate it.

The point about players over 23 being a ticking time bomb? Literally never heard anybody say this. You've just made it up. I mean the very reason for signing players sub 23 is because 3 years into their 5 year contract, if they want out, they should have a high resale value. That's not because they're a ticking timebomb.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

Anyway: There will be no bad grass against Sp**s so what will be the excuse if we play like **** in that game? The lack of sunshine? Our third choice goalkeeper being absent?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I imagine he’ll be sacked if we’re 8th and practically out of the race for 4th by Xmas. Absolutely no chance he’s allowed to continue if we finish 8th or lower again. 6th will most probably see him sacked, and so it should. Add to that the brand of football and he’s history.

Think he gets a new contract if he finishes 6th, ngl. Club has already put out there that this season is a write off with all the "unprecedented squad changes" and with how young our squad is.

Top four is pretty much a closed shop this year if United, Chelsea, City and Liverpool play to anywhere near their potenticial. 5th *should* be between us, Leiceister and Sp**s. Meaning, imo, there's no way the club sacks him if he's not gunning for 4th place.

Again, they should, since if the football stays this bland results won't really come.

But they won't.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I imagine he’ll be sacked if we’re 8th and practically out of the race for 4th by Xmas. Absolutely no chance he’s allowed to continue if we finish 8th or lower again. 6th will most probably see him sacked, and so it should. Add to that the brand of football and he’s history.
I think 6th would be seen as improvement within the club, meaning Micky stays, and I wouldn’t have too much of an argument with that stance.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
@jato If they were watering right up until kickoff, that wouldn’t be an indication of them wanting a slow pitch—it’s actually the opposite. They were watering to keep the surface slick so the ball skids across it. Now I’m thinking they were opting to abandon their hoof tactics because they fancied playing us off the pitch…

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think 6th would be seen as improvement within the club, meaning Micky stays, and I wouldn’t have too much of an argument with that stance.
It has to be 6th and a very good story to go with it, with good reason to believe we’re going to improve at the very least, otherwise I can’t see how they’ll think they’re getting value for money.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Sorry mate, I must have missed the part where I said they'd decline straight away.

That said, give me the list of outfield players who are better in their 30s than late 20s.

The question is how quickly they will decline. Their ability to stay fit is all part of that 'decline'. For some it comes early (Rooney, Fabregas). For others they maintain a high level for much longer. But they still decline.

That's why Liverpool's position is clearly the one to target. If you want to make an argument for it being Chelsea, Man City or UTD by all means articulate it.

The point about players over 23 being a ticking time bomb? Literally never heard anybody say this. You've just made it up. I mean the very reason for signing players sub 23 is because 3 years into their 5 year contract, if they want out, they should have a high resale value. That's not because they're a ticking timebomb.
What do you mean by targetting Liverpools position? Do we only try to beat Liverpool and not the other top teams? I don’t get it. I just thought we needed to win more than the other teams in the league, how do we target liverpool specifically?

GDeep™

League is very weak
It has to be 6th and a very good story to go with it, with good reason to believe we’re going to improve at the very least, otherwise I can’t see how they’ll think they’re getting value for money.
6th and all these guys like Tomiyasu, White, Ode, Ramsdale, Lokonga, ESR etc showing promise, IS the story.

Then next summer you sign one or two big players to compliment this young base. Edu even told us this in his interview, and I think that’s what will happen - our squad is probably the 5th or 6th best in the PL, and we have no Europe.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
If Micky gets above 8, surely you all see that as an improvement, no? Like Wrighty said.
There’s context to every league position and if ours speaks worse than our finishing position (Losing your first three games is not the context you want) then it can’t be ignored. For example, scraping 6th at the end because we strung 3 streaky wins together playing like sh!t while the teams in front of us dropped points, is meaningless with regards to thinking that was improvement or expecting more next season. Id like to think the club would be grateful, but would also decide we need a different manager for our EL campaign.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
If Micky gets above 8, surely you all see that as an improvement, no? Like Wrighty said.

If basing it on last season but I don't believe we appointed Arteta with the belief it would take him 2 and a half seasons just to make top 6. I still believe CL, with the signings and extensions we made, as the clubs intention last season and he badly failed at that.

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

If basing it on last season but I don't believe we appointed Arteta with the belief it would take him 2 and a half seasons just to make top 6. I still believe CL, with the signings and extensions we made, as the clubs intention last season and he badly failed at that.

Yes, CL was the goal last season. When they realised that Arteta cant take us there they came up with this long-term youth project.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Anyway: There will be no bad grass against Sp**s so what will be the excuse if we play like **** in that game? The lack of sunshine? Our third choice goalkeeper being absent?
Sp**s played poor in most of their games this season they just happened to pick up points.
They also have finished above us for the last 5 years & have a far more valuable squad according to transfer markt.

We have the youngest team in the league are building for the future but will need time to develop.

We have not been a top 4 side for years. FACT
Aim is to get back to top 6 at the moment with a young team. Not easy as Sp**s & Leicester both have squads as good if not better than ours.
We should though be capable of that this season.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

You’re gonna get more out of Mo Salah the next 5 years than you are Saka or ESR so their ages doesn’t matter. This isn’t the 90s players play well into their 30s with modern technology.

Liverpool have a better squad and manager than Man Utd and have won more recently and performed better in multiple league campaigns apart from last season. It’s pretty obvious Man Utd will drop out the top 4 before Liverpool.

Top Bottom