• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think it was not the social media rant or planes that made them do it. It was the empty seats at the stadium. Even when the planes were out, they were silent. The moment we had lots of empty seats, they had to act. It hit them where it hurt. In the end, it's all about revenue for them. If we want them to do something, protests are not going to help. Just don't turn up to the stadium.
The planes, social media rants and protests were extremely public and must have hit the players and Wenger hard. Managing a team in the prem is tough enough without that sh!t.

But the board knew we were continually over performing for the player investment and probably believed that it would die down with trophies. It didn't. 2 cups and a second place finish and it had just got worse. The boycotts were the last straw, as you say. No football club can survive half empty stadiums. Ultimately Wenger was expendable.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Maybe Arteta has no faith in those above him? Maybe the structure is wrong atm? This is all more than just “we love Wenger, let’s bring him back home”.

I think something is wrong.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Couple of years ago most of us wanted a clean break from Wenger and how he worked, and now just 3 years later it’s “bring him home”.

3 years is a VERY small time.

None of this makes sense, and some of you guys are trying to wrap this up in a cuddly way, but I’m not buying it.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Nobody has given a good reason to bring Wenger back, other than some fluffy, romantic, sentimental etc, thing about him being a grandparent who’ll share wisdom.

You’ll have to create a powerful role for him where he’s going to call some shots, this then causes it’s own problems.

Yeah, I think you only bring him back if he actually is properly involved. You don't want a Fergerson situation where he just loiters over the club, doesn't really do much on the day to day football side then seems to have a big part in the decision making. It's all or nothing with Wenger.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Couple of years ago most of us wanted a clean break from Wenger and how he worked, and now just 3 years later it’s “bring him home”.

3 years is a VERY small time.

None of this makes sense, and some of you guys are trying to wrap this up in a cuddly way, but I’m not buying it.

3 years isn’t very long but the guy is 72 after all :lol:

Can’t be putting it off for decades when you get to that age

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
We’ve got rid of all his scouts etc. There are people who were scouting for 25 years for Wenger and we ditched them. We have new systems in place.

What youth development are you talking about anyway? We’re signing established players for big prices now.

We're not signing established players for big prices though.

The only one you could argue price wise is White and he's far from the finished product.

The likes of Tomi, Ramsdale, Ødegaard and to a lesser extent Tavares and Lokonga etc are going for the sort of price you'd expect a talented but unfinished product in their early 20's to go for these days.

It's not a decade or so ago where you get a fully formed top class player for £30m anymore.

If your saying the likes of those guys and Saka, ESR, Balogun, Nelson etc wouldn't benefit from a few words of wisdom and pieces of advice for Wenger, I don't know what to say.

Kav

Established Member
We're not signing established players for big prices though.

The only one you could argue price wise is White and he's far from the finished product.

The likes of Tomi, Ramsdale, Ødegaard and to a lesser extent Tavares and Lokonga etc are going for the sort of price you'd expect a talented but unfinished product in their early 20's to go for these days.

It's not a decade or so ago where you get a fully formed top class player for £30m anymore.

If your saying the likes of those guys and Saka, ESR, Balogun, Nelson etc wouldn't benefit from a few words of wisdom and pieces of advice for Wenger, I don't know what to say.
This doesn’t compare well to the fact that WE bought Guendouzi for 7M.

Leicester signed Kante for 5.7M, Mahrez for 450k.

There are good players out there that do not cost 20M. We need to be scouting better.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Think you made some excellent points in there tbf - this is all about expectations. It's not right or wrong. Wenger lost support because his teams were not improving; Arteta gains support because his team looks like it is getting better. It's unfair in absolute terms but that's just football. Leicester fans are going to kick off if they get mid table; Leeds are considering sacking Bielsa. Football is a tough game and teams are always striving to be number one, even if that means forgetting that that grass can be greener...

That applies equally to the most fervent Arteta outters on this forum as it did to the Wenger Out crowd by the way. A certain irony in that.
Thanks Barry I could have gone on for longer but decided to end it lol.
Yes I can see the same happening to Rodgers if he drops out of top 8.
I also look at how well Moyes is doing currently at West Ham. If they manage another good finish this season but then say drop back to their more natural position 12th or lower the knives will be out.

In similar fashion Nuno had a couple of good seasons at Wolves.

I heard some Everton fan on talk sport bleating that they had spent half a billion & had little to show for it!

Evertonians along with Villa fans are nowadays expecting to be looking at top 8 but its just not possible do the math,
Newcastle will be expecting a place at the top table in a few years.

I honestly think when you Look at the money spent & the quality of managers in the prem it is harder than ever.
Top 6 now is probably the new top 4.

You make a great point about Arsène losing support because his teams were not improving & Arteta may gain a little now as his team looks like its improving from a lower position.
I love Arsène but after over 20 years many felt we had watched his film over & over & the time was right to perhaps see a new movie.

It certainly doesnt mean the new movie is better!

Last edited:

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I honestly think when you Look at the money spent & the quality of managers in the prem it is harder than ever.
Top 6 now is probably the new top 4.
And if we're being honest, Arsène missed a great window of opportunity to push this club further and consolidate us in that area instead of bring us back into the muck of the 4-6 crowd (saying nothing of winning leagues, which I think was a very realistic prospect for him and this club from 2010-2016 given the competition). Under Arsène in our last few years Poch's Tottenham surpassed us, instead of Arsène pushing us onto another level where we were head and shoulders above them, as City and Liverpool did.

People really have to be a bit more honest about the changing landscape of the league and the competition Arsène faced and how he fared against it versus the current level of competition, it's a really empty analysis if you just say 'well, Arsène had us finishing top 4 until his last season, and look where we are now.'

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
And if we're being honest, Arsène missed a great window of opportunity to push this club further and consolidate us in that area instead of bring us back into the muck of the 4-6 crowd (saying nothing of winning leagues, which I think was a very realistic prospect for him and this club from 2010-2016 given the competition). Under Arsène in our last few years Poch's Tottenham surpassed us, instead of Arsène pushing us onto another level where we were head and shoulders above them, as City and Liverpool did.

People really have to be a bit more honest about the changing landscape of the league and the competition Arsène faced and how he fared against it versus the current level of competition, it's a really empty analysis if you just say 'well, Arsène had us finishing top 4 until his last season, and look where we are now.'
You make some valid points.
I will always give massive credit to what Arsène did for many years with his hands tied financially.
However I have also said Sp**s & Leicester surpassed us on Arsenes watch when he had good money & spent .

The last great chance we had to win the title was the year Leicester won it.
The current big 4 were all in transition at the same time (that will likely never happen again)
It was the perfect storm & opportunity for us as a stable club with a top manager to win.

We never actually got close to even challenging. We sneaked 2nd coz Sp**s imploded at the end.
Arsène great as he is/was then dropped out of the top 4 when the ( Big 4) got their act together.

We then became a 5th-8th place team which is what we have been now for 5 seasons.
Because of the current level & spending that is where i expect us to stay.
I do think we are hopefully on an upward curve though & should get back in Europe & top 6 again after a really poor couple of league campaigns.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The same posters loving Arteta’s poor football, low xG, lack of goals and eighth place finishes still whinging about Arsène not winning the league. Hilarious double standards.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Mostly Artetas fans that want Wenger back? :rolleyes:
No one is an Arteta fan, we are Arsenal fans. If Arteta doesn’t get results I am completely cool with him getting fired. Do you think if we finish 8th again there is a significant percentage of people that want him back? Saying a guy shouldn’t be fired immediately is not the same as being his fan.

Top Bottom