• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
fhijejbepyf91.jpg

Third in wins since joining (never mind all the guys who got canned)

@farzad4daarse

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
First manager in the Prem to win a game this season, elite stuff from El Boss!

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Not a swashbuckling destruction job but a solid win away at a tricky ground. Started very well, still concerned with how we played after going 1 - 0 up, players seemed to lose their composure as if unsure whether or not to go for the kill or protect the lead. After half time we largely ceded territory and had a tendency to park all 11 men behind the ball, at one point Jesus was on the edge of our penalty area with the rest of our players camped in or around our box. If it works it's effective but it very easily could not have done today. It's obviously the manager instructing them to play this way.

Looked more a team pushing for a 4th spot than pushing the "big two" in City/Liverpool. Most fans will be happy with that but I see no reason why we can't strive for something more than 4th, with the most investment in Europe and the elite reinforcements we've had come in. Even that Super Mik Arteta song sort of implies the only goal is CL/4th.

Perhaps the team/manager just wanted to grind out the first win which is understandable, our style of play will definitely improve in the coming games.
Did City not lose 4 points to them last season?

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Are you winding me up? That stat tells you little to nothing as two managers competed and won major competitions domestically and in Europe. Arteta has one FA cup when Auba was unconscious. What have Klopp and Pep added to the trophy case which doesn’t get counted in this stat?

By the way that is a whole lot less wins; he is a distant 3rd. Jerry West said that the thing that tortured him the most was that he scored 25000 points and managed one title; but the 5 of the 6 lost NBA Finals to the Celtics would of gone his Lakers way if he scored 12 more points in 5 games.It isn’t number of wins that matter but doing the business when games matter and in that category Arteta stinks.

Slug457

Did City not lose 4 points to them last season?
Which is why I said it's a solid win away at a tricky ground :lol: City also had 93 points. Just in my view if a City/Liverpool go 1 - 0 up against them, or midtable sides in general, they go for the kill rather than look to defend the 1 - 0 lead. We have a tendency to defend the lead first. More of a pushing for a top 4 mindset than a elite one, and has cost us in previous seasons.

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Which is why I said it's a solid win away at a tricky ground :lol: City also had 93 points. Just in my view if a City/Liverpool go 1 - 0 up against them, or midtable sides in general, they go for the kill rather than look to defend the 1 - 0 lead. We have a tendency to defend the lead first. More of a pushing for a top 4 mindset than a elite one, and has cost us in previous seasons.
Ah I see what youre saying.

We definitely retreat in to our shells a bit much but I think we're improving on it, and we're pushing out how long we can control a game, last season we wouldve had maybe 5 minutes of control. I dont think we retreated I think we made a few bad passes became more cautious and at the same time Palace were able to step it up a gear. We started trying to hit them too quickly rather than taking time on the ball and thats a type of game that suits them, probably a bit of nerves which we can only cure by winning.

I think we play another 20 games with our current team we might have some hope of pushing control of the game from 20 minutes to 60. Today, I dont think it was realistic to play away to Palace and expect the team to control the game or be able to kill it off against Vieira. If there is one team Vieira wants to beat in a season its us, he had the time and motivation to watch every single game we played and think of a 100 things to beat us with.

Palace were the fittest today they'll probably be all season and even then they were still forced to make subs and one of their players got cramps, they threw everything they had at us today and couldnt make it work. I wouldnt read too much in to us not beating them 4 nil today.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Good win Mikel, but you've still got to address a few things:

What are you going to do with White if Saliba's fit, he's no better than Chambers at right back. When Tomi's fit, play him.

Stop this sitting back at 1-0, it's not healthy. We did it a lot last season and started the same.

Tell Ramsdale once and for all to stop messing about with his feet and clear the ball quicker.

Tierney is better going forward than Zinchenko, you've got a dilemma there.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
This retreating into our own half stuff is not by design. It’s what people said when we went 1-0 up to Everton away last season yet watch the half time team talk on all or nothing, Arteta was angry and wanted us to attack.
It’s the opposition forcing us back.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
This retreating into our own half stuff is not by design. It’s what people said when we went 1-0 up to Everton away last season yet watch the half time team talk on all or nothing, Arteta was angry and wanted us to attack.
It’s the opposition forcing us back.

No it not, it’s us retreating back and allowing the opposition back into the game.

The reason we were so dominant in the first 30 minutes was because we gave little to no time to Andersen and Eze to cross the ball into the spaces behind White and Zinchenko, where Zaha and Ayew were. That came from us pressing from the front and taking out their number one game plan.

The longer we force teams back with our pressing and positional play, the longer they stay pinned back in their own half. That’s what we should be doing for 60-75 minutes at least against any opposition.

BergMan

Betrayed by Xhaka
No it not, it’s us retreating back and allowing the opposition back into the game.

The reason we were so dominant in the first 30 minutes was because we gave little to no time to Andersen and Eze to cross the ball into the spaces behind White and Zinchenko, where Zaha and Ayew were. That came from us pressing from the front and taking out their number one game plan.

The longer we force teams back with our pressing and positional play, the longer they stay pinned back in their own half. That’s what we should be doing for 60-75 minutes at least against any opposition.
In these circumstances away to Palace with their tough atmosphere and compact pitch (and considering the level they played at with a fully fit squad) it’s not possible to dominate them for the majority of the game.
Arteta was not telling the team to drop further and further back, Palace were on top and we were forced into that position by the quality and energy that Palace had. One of their defenders kept pinging perfect long balls into Zaha, a major threat. We wouldn’t be able to maintain a high press against their defence and if we kept the high line that move would have punished us.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Away at Palace it's a good result. Saw some worrying signs with our play compared to pre-season (as mentioned in the Xhaka thread), but again that it is away at Palace gives mitigating circumstances here.

Just pray he won't fall into the same self-made traps he falls into every year.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Palace away is a fairly tough match for us. Probably a benefit to have that match up first game of the season to be honest.

There are obviously issues with depth in certain areas, up front and for sure CM. Though I think in other areas we're looking pretty set, particularly at FB and CB. When you can bring someone like KT on as a sub to provide a bit of impetus in the last 15 minutes or so that's nice. Thought White was good at RB, could be a position he'll need to cover more frequently with Tomi's injury issues. Saliba was very good.

Plenty of positive stuff especially in the first 30 minutes or so. I would have liked to see us keep our foot on the pedal till we got 2-0 up though, then you can kind of sit back with a bit more comfort and look to do them on the break. That's been an issue for quite some time under Arteta tbf.

Arteta needs to get the side on a roll our next 5-6 games are very winnable. We need to do the opposite of early doors last season and really get out of the gate strongly and set the tempo for the rest of the season.

I'm pretty optimistic we're going to do well this season.

Last edited:

ASIF

Im not totally sold on Arteta but still hoping it works out but he needs to be proactive with his subs..I mean it looked like he was waiting for us to concede before making the subs..We have 5 subs rule now gotto make use of it..

AL the gooner

Questionable film taste
If you watch the documentary, at half time against Everton away we were 1-0 up and he told the players weve been lucky and need to attack and keep attacking till we score again. The message is clearly not getting through, the team is young and still has to grow personality wise, but Arteta has the right ideas of where we need to get to. Great start yesterday at a very tough place. Ive seen Palace rattle liverpool at home before, they are the most physical side in the league so were not just going to get bossed for 90 minutes. No complaints.

D

Deleted member 102404

Good win Mikel, but you've still got to address a few things:

What are you going to do with White if Saliba's fit, he's no better than Chambers at right back. When Tomi's fit, play him.

Stop this sitting back at 1-0, it's not healthy. We did it a lot last season and started the same.

Tell Ramsdale once and for all to stop messing about with his feet and clear the ball quicker.

Tierney is better going forward than Zinchenko, you've got a dilemma there.
White is going to get game time. He was very good last night at RB. Competition and versatility are good things. There is no need to create this Saliba vs White narrative.

We didn’t sit back at 1-0 … the game changed because Palace put 4 up top! When a team does that you have to cover it. We just didn’t have the midfield to capitalise on the space. Combination of personnel and below par performances in the centre of the pitch.

Ramsdale is going to keep playing out from the back… it’s the right thing to do and it will lead to mistakes from time to time, but the pay off is better.

Again there is no dilemma with Tierney, just healthy competition.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
White is going to get game time. He was very good last night at RB. Competition and versatility are good things. There is no need to create this Saliba vs White narrative.

We didn’t sit back at 1-0 … the game changed because Palace put 4 up top! When a team does that you have to cover it. We just didn’t have the midfield to capitalise on the space. Combination of personnel and below par performances in the centre of the pitch.

Ramsdale is going to keep playing out from the back… it’s the right thing to do and it will lead to mistakes from time to time, but the pay off is better.

Again there is no dilemma with Tierney, just healthy competition.
Nah, watch this excellent tactical analysis. Arsenal dropping deeper caused the problem. It was the same in numerous games last year. Arteta needs to address this.

I know it wasn’t White’s position but he hardly gave anything to the attack, gave away several sloppy passes and failed to mark their winger on numerous occasions. And worse Saka was back helping him out instead of working with Jesus. If that’s very good I’d hate to see what bad looks like.

Top Bottom