Mikel Arteta: New Arsenal Head Coach

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

1. 14Henry

14Henry Well-Known Member

Liverpool had similar problems under Klopp at the start where they pressed and pressed and then ultimately ran out of steam.

Now they seem to press but in a much more controlled way for different periods of time in the game. Its maybe why they have been so good and haven't looked leggy despite the number of games.

Hopefully rather than going one half all guns blazing and the second half nothing if we can control the pressing to some in first half and second we might see further improvement.

2. kraphtous

kraphtous Raul Stanllehi

Signs of a good manager when a bunch of players go a few levels up. Or rather a sign of a bad manager when a bunch of players go a few levels down. Probably a bit of both.

3. redwhiteAustrian

redwhiteAustrian Tu Felix Austria Administrator

I'm all for sustaining a consistent pressing game throughout 90 minutes, but I don't think we'll be able to improve much on that from January onwards, as these are the things you work on during pre season. The average age of yesterday's starting eleven was beyond 27, I don't think there's much left to improve in terms of fitness, without changing much of the personnel.

I'd say we should stick to a more energetic first half/60 minutes and then containing the opposition in the second half, that could as well improve our defensive resilience as a side effect.

It's not about inviting pressure per se but more about accepting that our fitness levels aren't going to improve much, yet it's important for Arteta to fully implement his philosophy.

Trilly likes this.
  4. carlito'sway

carlito'sway Established Member

Mou at Arsenal would have been heresy. The dude is toxic. Let's 'Sp**s
    "enjoy" his shenanigans.

5. Riou

Riou Nostalgia Merchant

This club was cocooned up against a wall, ready to get face-hugged to death...Arteta coming to the club like, “not on my damn watch!”

Jackie_Treehorn and RacingPhoton like this.
  6. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

A-M has been mentioned before, for example:

ItWasMeBarry, Jasard, Camron and 5 others like this.
  7. tap-in

tap-in Nothing Wrong With Me

Arteta even has a Pep roll neck jumper
    Tbf if we had taken Arteta when Wenger left, how much education would he have missed under Pep in the last 18 months. I know we cant answer that but I would guess he's developed further as a manager in the last 18 months. Anyway, he's here now and looking good.

8. thierrytheking14

thierrytheking14 Well-Known Member

Arteta being lauded.

Mourinho already showing signs of imploding.

You love to see it.

9. kraphtous

kraphtous Raul Stanllehi

Now I have to wonder how many of us here are part of the big Arsenal Twitter accounts. There have to be a couple at least.

10. American_Gooner

Has to be, there was a fairly big account (suspended now) that called Jury one of the most miserable people on the internet.

11. lamby22

lamby22 Well-Known Member

Checking back there were a few of us on the train months before Wenger left.

carlito'sway likes this.
  12. SA Gunner

SA Gunner Prediction Pool King Trusted

I for one, was one of those who weren't convinced with the appointment of Arteta and openly spoke against it.

I begrudgingly signed up when it was all but confirmed, consoling myself with the fact that here was a man who truly was one of us, much like Arsène.

It looks as though I have been proven wrong so far, and likely to be. This is a man of extreme quality, and the best part is that he is only going to get better at his craft, as he learns the nuances of the game.

We must support the manager, and have patience with him. We are dealing with a potential class act here.

13. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Yep, the man's the Trump of the football world . . . . me, me, me.

SA Gunner and carlito'sway like this.
  14. Makingtrax

He looks like his own man to me, working with Guardiola will have added experience though, for sure.

SA Gunner, sykesy69 and tap-in like this.
  15. Makingtrax

So glad Wenger hung on for two years while the fans were working so hard to make it impossible for him to operate. Gave Arteta a chance to gain valuable experience, and earned us an extra FA Cup. Win, win!

carlito'sway likes this.
  16. Tosker

Tosker Hates Foreigners

he looks like a man who will never struggle with the zip on a down jacket, though I note he goes for the shorter length to make the job easier

Fouz likes this.
  17. El Granit-Coq

El Granit-Coq Well-Known Member

Rewatching the first half again and I still think Arteta would have won his first 2 games if our players looked up a bit more.

Our attacking players don't have that much chemistry or understanding it seems. Looking at the amount of times a player was free on goal and someone didnt look up or look around. Pepe been the biggest culprit so far.

Have to say though, our midfield feels the most balanced part of our team. Havent seen them bully is in the midfield or bypass us.

The pundits honestly summed it up best, everyone seems to know their role and is actually enjoying doing that role.

18. American_Gooner

[​IMG]

Interesting from the Athletic on the warm-up under Arteta.

19. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

I think Emery did require high fitness levels, the difference between when he first came here and towards the end of his time were so different.

He either gave up on pressing completely or the players did. It’s no surprise that our fitness levels have gradually dropped.

20. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

Just need to get the squad on some quality ‘multivitamins’ everyone else is doing it.

Knowing our luck we’d be the first team to get outright caught and punished for use of PEDs. :lol:

lufere7, lamby22, SA Gunner and 3 others like this.