• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wouldn't be against the Santi returning then joining the backroom staff. I think he could still be useful in certain games, mainly when we have to break down low blocks at the Emirates.

Technically, he's probably the best player I've seen at the club (only caught the last few years of Bergkamp), and more importantly, it seems he has the same outlook on the game as Mikel. He also always commanded massive respect from everyone at the club, I think he would really help the younger lads.

Whatever happens, his comeback story has been amazing, serious props to the guy.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵

Just goes to show how much of a mistake it was to carry on with Emery after the Leicester game, if they'd pulled the trigger at that time then maybe Top 4 would still be on. Instead they wasted that easier run of fixtures after the international break.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Just goes to show how much of a mistake it was to carry on with Emery after the Leicester game, if they'd pulled the trigger at that time then maybe Top 4 would still be on. Instead they wasted that easier run of fixtures after the international break.

What is most impressive is how he has tightened us up at the back. We have poor individual defenders that constantly got exposed under Emery, so to turn it around so dramatically is very impressive.

Since Mikel's come in, the stats would suggest we need better attackers if anything. I am starting to think the order of importance of positions in the summer, provided Auba stays, is DM>AM>CF/LW>CB.

Reactions: A_G

What is most impressive is how he has tightened us up at the back. We have poor individual defenders that constantly got exposed under Emery, so to turn it around so dramatically is very impressive.

Since Mikel's come in, the stats would suggest we need better attackers if anything. I am starting to think the order of importance of positions in the summer, provided Auba stays, is DM>AM>CF/LW>CB.

One of the reasons our attack is not there yet is that we have been focusing on defensive work first and most under Arteta so far. This is because our defenders are horse ****. Simple as that.

We need better defenders and then we can start allowing attackers a bit more freedom.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
One of the reasons our attack is not there yet is that we have been focusing on defensive work first and most under Arteta so far. This is because our defenders are horse ****. Simple as that.

We need better defenders and then we can start allowing attackers a bit more freedom.

I see your point, but in my opinion attacking is a lot more reliant on the quality of players than defending is. As we've seen since Arteta's come in, it's easier to form a decent defensive unit with poor players than it is to form a potent attacking unit (we don't score enough goals).

If you look at the way Klopp built Liverpool, who were in a similar position to where we are now, he sorted his attack and midfield (Mane/Salah/Wijnaldum) before his defence (Van Dijk/Allison).

Of course we need new defenders, but we equally need 2 new midfielders as well as another forward in my opinion.

The amount of times we fail to take guilt edge chances, especially away from home, is a massive problem. This puts massive pressure on the back 4 as it gives the opposition the impetus in matches.

I'm not for one second saying don't get a centre half this summer, if we can obviously get one in, but if its a choice between a centre back and another position, I'd be inclined to strengthen elsewhere.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
With Saka and Martinelli it seems like he just named the two most popular youngsters (though I agree on building the left side around Saka at least), but holy hell, no we shouldn't build our midfield around Willock. WTF is his thought process there.
Haha, Willock....Matt Smith, Cottrell and Burton are much better.

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

"The club knows my plan - now spend some ****ing money"

Obviously he phrases it a bit better than me. .

Manberg

Predator
Arteta needs to be harsh with the board. Make an ultimatum whereby he threatens to leave if his demands are not met. Do not bow and be bullied by the board like Wenger

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
:lol: Burton doesn't even play for us anymore.
Yes, but did you not think he had lot more potential than willock? The way he passes to break down defence, the way he control the game, keeping possession. Be honest, how willock compares to him in these areas?

I would pick Cirjan, Cottrell, Matt Smith over willock any day.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Yes, but did you not think he had lot more potential than willock? The way he passes to break down defence, the way he control the game, keeping possession. Be honest, how willock compares to him in these areas?

I would pick Cirjan, Cottrell, Matt Smith over willock any day.
Actually, I did not think Burton was better than Willock. I think the three players you named below are better technical players sure, but they are not ready to be picked over Willock. Willock is a potentially very good #8, who is capable of making good passes, carrying the ball into dangerous areas and pressurising the opposition. He has a lot of kinks in his game to iron out but the talent is there.

Cirjan is entering his 2nd year as a scholar, Cottrell has just finished his 2nd year and Smith is only now getting to the fringes of the squad. Yeah, I'd give them a shot, but that doesn't make them better than Willock, nor do they need to be ahead of him so early. I know you have your weird dogmatic ideals about the game but be smart. Even I would be reluctant to do this.

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final
Top Bottom