• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Arteta will want someone with a good passing range as his 6 and who can start up attacks, Torreira just isn't that type of player.

Hoping we play Lucas like we played Coq at his best...win the ball back, and give it to the playmaker, (Santi then, hopefully Ceballos now).

Though not overly convinced by any of our midfielders yet, and will almost certainly be a position to be looked at again in the summer.

Last edited:

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Shocking stuff pure garbage in transition and a plodder to boot. No energy whatsoever hes sh1t pure and simple!!

As much as I like Arteta to rip these bum players apart we dont have money to fix every issue. Not in January. Not even next summer either.

Now is getting through this seaaon with the players we have and building their confidence is key hence Arteta saying everyone has clean slate and bigging Xhaka up now.

Riou

Its why I think our transfers has not been good in recent years. Xhaka, Guendozi and Torreira is just pure garbage.

Our midfield wasn't always like this, once upon a time we had the best midfield in the world...

1415219043587_Image_galleryImage_Arsenal_s_midfield_men_Pa.JPG

:drool:

Last edited:

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Yeah Xhaka is undoubtably going to be a starter and I can see many turning on Arteta because of that, but look at our midfield options, not like he has any other choice..

I know he has put in some horrific performances and too many brain farts but Xhaka has also shown he is capable (admittedly very rare) of producing a great performance. I always remember the way he played in that FA cup final against Chelsea.

If Arteta can get him to produce such performances on a regular basis he will have the fans on his side again.

If he continues with his usual performances then we need to sell him as soon as possible.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Our midfield wasn't always like this, once upon a time we had the best midfield in the world...

1415219043587_Image_galleryImage_Arsenal_s_midfield_men_Pa.JPG

:drool:

We have the weakest midfield since I started supporting the club. Devoid of probably the 2 best attributes in Athleticism/physicality and technical ability. Which means our midfield can neither beat anyone with pace or with skill. Sitting ducks when defending. Clumbersome, immobile sheep when attacking.

Riou

We have the weakest midfield since I started supporting the club. Devoid of probably the 2 best attributes in Athleticism/physicality and technical ability. Which means our midfield can neither beat anyone with pace or with skill. Sitting ducks when defending. Clumbersome, immobile sheep when attacking.

A midfield that can’t control a football, that’s none of our business...

the-perfect-quartet_ah.jpg

Wengerball at its best!

Bloodbather

Established Member

Its why I think our transfers has not been good in recent years. Xhaka, Guendozi and Torreira is just pure garbage.

Definitely agree that they aren't cutting it, and ideally I'd want an entirely new midfield trio in a 4-3-3, but I'd still give time to Guendouzi before concluding that he's garbage. He shows promise, but clearly has a long way to go in terms of positional awareness. His high number of appearances can make you forget that he's the same age as Reiss Nelson.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Hoping we play Lucas like we played Coq at his best...win the ball back, and give it to the playmaker, (Santi then, hopefully Ceballos now).

Torreira is not on Coquelin's level, physically and positionally. There are good reasons why Emery abandoned playing Torreira as a shield in front of defense, even clumsy Xhaka does a better job defensively.

Wryer

Transfer approach wise - I hope Arteta will focus a little bit more on players already in the league or Championship. These players cost a premium but I think that's the stability we need. Arteta knows the league well, and Man City has also done that on a consistent basis. And I think we still have some element of pull for players in the bottom half of the table.

Oops are we in the bottom half? :lol:

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Just because Arteta has come out to publicly support Xhaka, doesn't mean he's undroppable and a center piece to his plans. It's clear Mikel is conscious of results in this delicate period and needs to muster up any confidence he can in players that can make a difference now.

Despite all of this, wouldn't be surprised to see Granit leave in January or in the summer.

TheEconomist

Established Member
Can't wait to see Arteta's influence on the team. I know we'll see only the smallest glimpse of it today but it's still exciting. I wish I could skip forward to a year from now to see what he's done with the team

I've been watching a bit of the Man City documentary on prime and if he can bring some of the energy and mentality that City have we are in for a good few years.

Interestingly though, on the documentary, where I've seen Arteta, he seems to only give interviews in Spanish. Not sure why because I thought his English was quite good at his press conference

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
So am wondering whether people will turn on Arteta because he picks players that they don't like .
People don't turn on the manager because they pick players they don't like, they turn on them when they don't get results.

I'm optimistic right now, but on the off chance Arteta doesn't get results then you would hope people would start turning. Need to avoid making the same mistake we made persisting with Emery despite him proving himself to be a bum by the end of last season.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

not sure this is going to go how you think

He is going to be positive initially about everyone. He is then going to tell them how he wants to play, and he will pick them based on their attitude and training. Xhaka trains hard. However none of that matters.

Man City didn't buy Xhaka for a reason. Pretty sure whenever they play is they look to expose him. His position at the club is untenable. We are looking to sell him in January, but we need him on side for the next 2 weeks.

Xhaka will play and will be incapable of doing what Arteta asks him to do. Makes more sense moulding Guendouzi into what he wants rather than trying to teach an old dog new tricks.

Top Bottom