<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Non-Negotiator

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

Do you believe Arteta will turn it around?

1. Yes, I still have 100% faith in him

12.5%
  2. Yes, but my confidence in him has decreased this season

9.4%
  3. No, he should go imminently

18.8%
  4. No, but he should stay on until his position becomes untenable

37.5%
  5. Give him the rest of the season no matter what

21.9%
  1. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

Winning is important but instilling the values that got lost so quickly after Wenger left is really important.

Arteta is approaching things the right way. Of we can improve the team think he can't be great.

NieThePiet, lufere7, krackpot and 6 others like this.
  2. dka91

dka91 Well-Known Member

Personally I don't really blame Arteta for the loss yesterday. I think the lineup was fine overall, the only thing I really thought was glaring was the lack of the right changes and at the right time.

But we should've beaten Olympiacos with the team we had. I personally feel like the players were sleep walking through it, perhaps a bit tired, perhaps a bit complacent? I don't know, in a strange way maybe the away goal somehow negatively affected our players' mentality, it just seems inherent in our squad and for me the players really disappointed with their performance and approach.

That said I mean I like to compare Arteta to Poch in terms of potential impact because I think there are similarities there in terms of having a clearly defined style that can be demanding on players when it's at full tilt, if the players could handle it we'd be pressing similarly as aggressively (it's dropped off a bit because the players are b*tches that peter out after 60 minutes of doing it).

Poch funnily did pretty shockingly in the Europa league and sometimes it just doesn't happen for whatever reason. Additionally Poch had a full first season including preseason and finished a decent, but I'd say lacklustre 5th with 64 points; good position but average points tally.

It wasn't till Pochettino got an additional summer window, brought in some players to fit his system, that he was able to achieve 70 in his "sophomore" season and finally a huge 86 points in his third.

I think hopefully if we can get the players to fit his system Arteta could have a similar trajectory but a lot will depend on the backroom staff. That said my ultimate conclusion is that even though Arteta is still not that experienced I think he's definitely the right man, yesterday doesn't change that for me in the slightest and sometimes sh*t happens, experience or not.

krackpot, zilfy and GDeep™ like this.
  3. Hleb's Sirush

Hleb's Sirush Well-Known Member

Wenger, Van Gaal, Scolari, Mourinho etc. You don't really need to have been a great player to succeed as a manager.

Oh and Arrigo Sacchi, widely regarded as one of the best managers of all time. He failed to even make it as a professional player, only making it as far as a part timer at amateur level. Was a shoe salesman for a while before taking up coaching. Came up with a great quote when people questioned his qualifications: "I never realized that in order to become a jockey you have to have been a horse first,"

4. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

5. sammy89

sammy89 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately there's a huge chunk of the Arsenal fan base now who've never seen Arsenal on a high, so they spout shyte about Xhaka and Luiz being class :rofl:

6. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

Out of his depth. Decent coach, not ready for top level management. This will be a good experience for him, but not us.

Ashybashy86 likes this.
  7. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

What a man, we'll never get back what we had with Arsène . . . . consistency, the classiest club in the Prem and the neutrals favourite. And we had the father of everything thats good in football.

But Arteta's his own man. We'll get something different with him . . . youth, hunger and drive. But the squad needs fixing for him to succeed.

Tourbillion, DanDare and Mrs Bergkamp like this.
  8. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Dishonest To His Federation

Same people who were begging me on here to keep giving Emery chance even if he hadn't won game for two months are already writing Arteta off even if he had no transfer window, no preseason and took over worst team in the league thanks to Emery. :lol:

9. rich 1990

rich 1990 Not A Big Believer In Diversity

This could be your best post, Hydro.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  10. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Who? tag them so we can laugh at them.

Squillaci likes this.
  11. hydrofluoric acid

I'm not for being much "told you so" guy or hold any grudges even if I'm always right many months in advance and I get called troll and people basically throwing their cyber **** at me all the time for my correct opinions. So I will just take the high road and keep the peace and not tag anyone for this time!

12. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

We have to stick with Arteta.

There is no other choice.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  13. say yes

say yes Thread Title Abuser

I think there’s three nonces on here who will turn on Arteta before the end of this year — over the tactics, the hair, everything – and I have written them down already in three envelopes.

Make sure you are not in one of the envelopes.

14. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry & Miserable

This is correct. I'm fully backing him, this team is unsaveable as it stands unless you put Klopp or Simeone in charge.

However it is difficult not to be a bit pissed off at Mikel for his persistence with some of the utter dross, and the super late substitutions when things aren't working.

At least he's started dropping Lacazette for Eddie.

DUFFMAN likes this.
  15. Sanchez11

Sanchez11 Superior Journalist To Charles Watts

I'm still on the fence.

16. Hleb's Sirush

It isn't right to write Arteta off so early in his reign before we have seen what he is really capable of. Just as it wasn't right to write off Emery before he had enough time to implement his ideas. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, people use it to justify making hasty conclusions. Just because a manager turns to be a failure doesn't mean you were right to get on his back from the start.

James Bond likes this.
  17. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Klopp or Simeone can’t save this team. Arteta’s done an incredible job to improve the defence.

Mrs Bergkamp likes this.
  18. <<reed>>

<<reed>> Meme Merchant

[​IMG]

NieThePiet, sammy89, lufere7 and 11 others like this.
  19. Hleb's Sirush

That is perfectly reasonable. You can back the manager while still criticising some aspect of his managing.

I totally back Arteta as I believe any mamager deserves to get adequate time to show what he can do. Just like you there are some things that I didn't like. For example in our last game why did he switch to a 3 at the back late in the game? It just seemed to confuse our players. If you look at the last goal, when the cross comes in, only the 3 CB's are stationed in our box. There is no one stationed at the right side of our defence. That is where the RB should have been. Im guessing whoever was meant to play RWB forgot their position. It just created confusion. Why did we only have 3 players defending a cross in the last minute? Also the organisation at set pieces was abysmal. That surely is the responsibility of the manager.

I'm sure Arteta will learn from this and hopefully the organisation will be much better in the future.

CaseUteinberger and Tourbillion like this.
  20. hydrofluoric acid

Why not? I never felt like Emery and Arsenal were a good fit. It was very obvious almost in the first month of here that Emery was not coming here to grow and become a manager of a big club, it always felt that Emery wanted to bring Arsenal down to Sevilla level so it would be better marriage for him. But for us? No.

But I still talked about he needed 2 years even if I was suffering everyday. We sacked him too late and paid heavily for that. It will take Hercules grip to heal some of the damage he did.

With Arteta it feels a lot more natural for Arsenal. Even there is a lot of work to do I will have faith and hope we stick with him for at least 2-3 seasons! I think he has big potential as manager but it wont be obvious until our club is out of red zone and that will take some time!

NieThePiet, dka91, Wagwaan and 2 others like this.