<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Non-Negotiator

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

What should the minimum target for this season?

1. Top 4 Finish

2. Europa League Win

3. A Realistic Top 4 Challenge

4. A Domestic Trophy

5. Getting the Team/Attack Clicking Irrespective of League Finish or Trophies

6. Give Him Until The End of The Season Regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

My manic pup was chewing my feet at the time, typing through the pain bro. :lol:

krackpot, Oxeki, Riou and 2 others like this.
  2. AbouCuéllar

AbouCuéllar Well-Known Member

What? Özil has been past it for a while I agree but Özil in his prime is absolutely not the player you describe, the bolded you've said about one of the most creative players of our era, perhaps the most. Very weird. Perhaps you never watched him for Madrid. Or Özil until 2016 or so.

Also Ramsey really doesn't belong on that list, even if he is not the most aesthetically pleasing to watch. Seems that people forget quickly that Ramsey was our best player in his last few years at the club.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    krackpot likes this.
  3. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

4. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

That's not the only way to score goals, another way to score goals is to have players in your team who can run a lot. If you can make more runs you can exhaust your opponent's defenders and force them into making mistakes. You can also win the ball back and frustrate your opponent's attacks. And modern football has evolved to the stage where runners have become more important than creative players.

5. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Perfect example was last evening. Although Leicester do have some really good passers of the ball too, threading passes into the channels. You don't need Xavi levels of accuracy as there is more space to work with. But if you're competent and you can spot the runs quickly (helps if you know which runs the forwards are gonna make by working at it in training) you're golden.

6. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

Not sure if the next stage of our game is playing 8 CB's and Xhaka in front of them

7. Gervais

Gervais Well-Known Member

****e selection tonight pal

Kevin Keegan and Jae like this.
  8. Manberg

Manberg Predator

I can’t fault the team selection or the formation. If we played 4 at the back like the armchair experts here want we’d have got battered 5-1. Instead, we would have drew had Lacazette took his chance.

9. Taneruit

Taneruit Well-Known Member

Ehhhh, have to disagree there. Especially towards the end we were giving away sitters. If Liverpool took theirs it could have been 7 or 8-4 by the same argument.

10. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

What's the difference? Sit for 90 and wait to lose or at least go out and do something about it, even if you lose you at least have to try. People are delusional if they expect us to get the top 4 with this formation and selection.
    This is not an issue against Liverpool away, but we are playing the same c*** against every team

11. nick gould

nick gould Well-Known Member

Could have drawn the match but that would have been totally unfair on Liverpool. He played it safe but in the end we could have done with the 5 sub rule because Ainsley, Willian, Xhaka, Laca, Elneny will have needed subbing off at some point.

Gabriel should have started. You stand a chance of scoring a headed goal with him in there.

12. PressResistance

PressResistance Active Member

Think this is the first one where I have to fault him for both the team selection, as well as the approach. And, tbh, for the in-game adjustments or more precisely, a total lack of them apart from pushing his players up-the pitch.

If we are playing Liverpool with a negative approach, trying to soak up the pressure and then counter, it's absolutely, absolutely decisive, that we get pressure on their wingers, as well as fullbacks. This means besides putting AMN/Tierney/Bellerin in, you also have to have commited wings. Willian hasn't shown that he's a commited and good defender, neither is Pepe, it's actually Reiss, Bukayo, Eddie and Aubamazette that do defending.

Secondly, we 've trotted out Rob Holding, David Luiz and Tierney as our CBs against the fastest front 3 in the PL. They kill with tempo and we got done. Saliba and especially Gabriel can deal with the pace much better.

Thirdly, we were offensively anemic apart from a few flashes and then Ceballos gave us a bit of life because he's a baller. Why is that? Because we are consciously getting overran in games. It's planned soaking up of pressure. However we won't be able to do that, we don't have Simeone's squad, we aren't playing with a destroyer, we aren't sitting in a total low block, as you can penetrate the half-space which we are not consistently defending. At some point, if we are not going to get A&P, we 'll have to provide more offensively as soaking up pressure against lesser sides could lead us to a new rendition of Emeryball. And we 'll be bemoaning the exit of Martinez if we don't get any players of the required quality to lift this team and allow it to finally play a more pleasing and offensive style.

Nevertheless, if we were to pick an ideal team to actually face off against Liverpool, with hindsight it would probably be:

Nelson-Nketiah-Saka
    AMN-Ceballer-Willock
    Tierney-Gabriel-Holding-Bellerin
    Leno

Subs: Auba, Laca, Pepe on.

Just to press off the doped up dippers of the park.
    One other thing I 'm pretty sure Mikel has also failed to mention, when we're getting mugged by Mane and the refs in terms of fouls and such, one has to retaliate smartly and make their presence known.

Kevin Keegan and krackpot like this.
  13. Furious

Furious Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Poor approach in the 1st half, simply too conservative. Liverpool were incredible though, their pressing is absolutely devastating. Our players couldn't catch a break.

He should've tried to bypass with some long balls, however problem is all our forwards are weak as f*ck, and are unable to keep the ball for more than a second on their own.

14. Gooner_girl14

Gooner_girl14 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of his negative approach going into this one. A win was always unlikely but at least have a go. Our playing out from the back doesn't give me as much anxiety as it did previously, but we looked almost bewildered when we did get the ball and tried to go forward.

15. Manberg

Manberg Predator

It’s got results. It got us two trophies. Why change what’s working well? Just because you want to see higher possession numbers?

16. Ripe Banana

Ripe Banana Active Member

Mirror performance of Emery at Anfield last season. Matter of fact that first half performance was worse.

17. REWB

REWB Member

Agreed, and honestly with regards to Dani Ceballos, im not 100% certain he would have been able to handle Liverpool press in the first 30mins.

If we can get Aouar and Partey however, that changes the game immediately, as we'll be able to beat their press as liverpool would have to deal with 3 clever midfielders including ceballos.

Liverpool think they are unbeatable, they arent. Just wait until Arteta gets the players he wants.

Furious likes this.
  18. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

We don't have results, I don't count FA cup or c*** like that. We were lucky for a while with this formation, just like Emery was lucky at one point, but there's absolutely no football there. Again, my opinion is based more on the West Ham game, but this game today was just a confirmation that we've started the season with a completely wrong game plan and a couple of lucky results wont change that

19. Furious

Furious Emery Gone, Telly Back On

Of course not, people on here are utterly clueless. Ceballos didn't recover for a year after starting at Anfield last season.

Makingtrax likes this.
  20. Manberg

Manberg Predator

You can’t make such an opinion based on a game against a team much better in quality, whom we beat twice with the same tactics. Not counting the biggest domestic cup in the world? We beat big teams to win it.