• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
It's not like Arteta doesn't know how to set the team up to play beautiful football. Tactically he's a master of the game and he spent a few years with Guardiola. Arteta's trying to get the best out of this team.
Agree.

People can’t expect aubameyang to play like ronaldinho, Lacazette to play like benzema, and our midfielders to play like xavi/busquets/iniesta. We don’t have the right team to play beautiful attacking football.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Agree.

People can’t expect aubameyang to play like ronaldinho, Lacazette to play like benzema, and our midfielders to play like xavi/busquets/iniesta. We don’t have the right team to play beautiful attacking football.

Not yet we don't but I believe it will come. Aouar is the first piece to our puzzle.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If Arteta is a master of the game then wtf do you guys think Guardiola is :lol:

Also Arteta’s record against Pool lacks context, when it truly matters they dominate us. They will comfortably do the double against us in the league assuming the title isn’t secured by then.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
If Arteta is a master of the game then wtf do you guys think Guardiola is :lol:

Also Arteta’s record against Pool lacks context, when it truly matters they dominate us. They will comfortably do the double against us in the league assuming the title isn’t secured by then.
No it's not gonna be that easy for them at the Emirates provided we have a fit team. They've only beaten us here twice since we moved.

Moah

I don't get the Arteta 3 Klopp 1 comparison. It's basically 1 apiece as the two games were won on penalties that could have gone either ways. I wouldn't have counted it as three if it was the other way around too.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Huh? Late era Wenger was not a good coach. Arteta is superior to him. Just because Emery took a low bar and dug a hole for it and then shat on it doesn't mean that late era Wenger was a good manager. With the benefit of hindsight it would be hard to say Wenger was a top manager since 07/08, and 12/13 looks to me like the last managerial job where he's over-performed realistic expectations.

Love Wenger like the rest of us but let's not be naive about where he was as a coach in regard to the rest of football in the later era of his career. There's a reason no other top club wanted him.

This is the first time we've looked relatively modern and coherent tactically for a long, long time.
What a load of drivel. Wenger made top 4 right from the word go, and until the atmosphere around the club made it impossible for him to operate in his last two years he maintained that. OK his outrageous attacking style was different to cautious Emery and even more cautious Arteta, and it got us a tonking now and again, but neither of those have made top 4 once yet . . we were 8th last time I looked.

Lots of clubs were after Wenger, but he was about 70 when he finally retired.

Continuing to bash Wenger every time we get a win is getting irritating beyond extreme. People need to stop with the same blah blah rewriting of history. He's gone, this is the Arteta thread and Arteta's time . . give it a ****ing rest.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Arteta's doing well with what he's got. I don't like the football, but it's proving effective. Let's get a couple of decent midfielders and give the guy a chance to improve our position in the league, and maybe get back to CL football, which would be fantastic.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Football has changed. How many teams create nice patterns of play to score goals anymore? It's all about pressing high and winning the ball and create goal scoring chances with 2 to 3 direct passes/crosses. I don't like it either but that's where modern football is headed.
I don't believe that bro. Watching Liverpool last year they had some amazing patterns of play that completely destroyed other teams. They peppered opposition goals with attacking flair, including some very sharp and quick passing moves through the lines.

The 2-0 win against Sheffield saw an alltime club record of 969 passes with an accuracy of 90%. The league record was also recent when Man City beat Swansea with 1015 passes in 2018.

I think we broke a record last year with Mesuts goal against Newcastle in February, 35 passes before the goal, touched by all 11 players.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I don't believe that bro. Watching Liverpool last year they had some amazing patterns of play that completely destroyed other teams. They peppered opposition goals with attacking flair, including some very sharp and quick passing moves through the lines.

The 2-0 win against Sheffield saw an alltime club record of 969 passes with an accuracy of 90%. The league record was also recent when Man City beat Swansea with 1015 passes in 2018.

I think we broke a record last year with Mesuts goal against Newcastle in February, 35 passes before the goal, touched by all 11 players.
Liverpool are the best team in Europe. I'd say them and City are the two teams in the Premier League who can consistently create good chances against a low block. But still Poch and Klopp were the main two managers who pretty much made quick transitions from turnovers their bread and butter. I was watching the Sp*rs Chelsea cup game and it was startling how little there was from both sides in terms of patterns. Neither of them could string more than 3 passes together. But there were still chances being created. Attacking football is starting to become about taking the path of least resistance imo. Wolves for 2 seasons and Leicester are killing it right now with that style of football.

GoonerJay24

Huh? Late era Wenger was not a good coach. Arteta is superior to him. Just because Emery took a low bar and dug a hole for it and then shat on it doesn't mean that late era Wenger was a good manager. With the benefit of hindsight it would be hard to say Wenger was a top manager since 07/08, and 12/13 looks to me like the last managerial job where he's over-performed realistic expectations.

Love Wenger like the rest of us but let's not be naive about where he was as a coach in regard to the rest of football in the later era of his career. There's a reason no other top club wanted him.

This is the first time we've looked relatively modern and coherent tactically for a long, long time.

Wenger was brilliant every season apart from probably his final year where he still reached a cup final and European semi finals

Gunners1616

Arteta's doing well with what he's got. I don't like the football, but it's proving effective. Let's get a couple of decent midfielders and give the guy a chance to improve our position in the league, and maybe get back to CL football, which would be fantastic.
That's a lazy analysis really.

How come Bielsa's Leeds is more fun to watch ? Even Brighton looks more dangerous than us offensively. There has to be a trade-off with efficiency.

The squad is not that weak. Arteta had us believe that we are so bad that we can't play with 4 at the back. He's just choosing the easy path. It's 10 times easier to set up a team to park the bus and start from the back rather than pressing high and playing with a high line while keeping possession.

The midfield lacks creativity but he can try playing 4-3-3 like the match agains Brighton last year when we lost because of individual errors. A midfield with Xhaka - Ceballos and Saka can perform if they work on it.

And how about playing with 2 strikers in 4-4-2 ? Playing it safe looks better for the defense but our offensive players pay the price. We can barely get 5 shots a game.

scytheavatar

Established Member

How come Bielsa's Leeds is more fun to watch ? Even Brighton looks more dangerous than us offensively. There has to be a trade-off with efficiency.

The squad is not that weak. Arteta had us believe that we are so bad that we can't play with 4 at the back. He's just choosing the easy path. It's 10 times easier to set up a team to park the bus and start from the back rather than pressing high and playing with a high line while keeping possession.

The midfield lacks creativity but he can try playing 4-3-3 like the match agains Brighton last year when we lost because of individual errors. A midfield with Xhaka - Ceballos and Saka can perform if they work on it.

And how about playing with 2 strikers in 4-4-2 ? Playing it safe looks better for the defense but our offensive players pay the price. We can barely get 5 shots a game.

This squad is much weaker than what you think....... our goal is not to finish mid table like Leeds, our goal is to finish top 4. And to do that we need to throw away our useless pride and do whatever it takes to grind out result. If we can't do that then all we can enjoy is the continuous decline of the club.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Well we disagree on player quality. Emery saw all those individual errors from our CBs and midfield in particular and just kept trying to rotate players and systems to try and find one that minimised the damage. It didn't work.

Arteta has adopted a more pragmatic approach, go with a defensive system and work harder with a core of players to try and minimise those errors. And it's working. We're still giving the ball away, but there's players around to mop up now. And we're sneaking wins.

I think his overall strategy is 1. stop the losses and minimise those ridiculous errors 2 improve the team 3 then become more free flowing later. I hope anyway :lol:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Emery saw all those individual errors from our CBs and midfield in particular and just kept trying to rotate players and systems to try and find one that minimised the damage. It didn't work.
I think with Gabriel and Tierney it looks like we have some defenders you can trust, so I would expect a change in formation within weeks.
What worries me though is that we are looking to sell Torreira who is our only ball-winning midfielder in a 4-3-3 formation, and we could potentially end up with Xhaka protecting the back four, and that was always a tragedy to watch

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Mikel, you're clearly tactically intelligent and have a lot of potential but you need to get us playing good football man.

I'm not expecting Liverpool/City but please.

Gunners1616

Arteta has adopted a more pragmatic approach, go with a defensive system and work harder with a core of players to try and minimise those errors. And it's working. We're still giving the ball away, but there's players around to mop up now. And we're sneaking wins.
What is working exactly ? We are just becoming a cup team. This 5-3-2 with the grinding works well in elimination type games but it's not sustainable. I believe we have 0 chance of getting the top 4 playing like this.

Arteta record in the league was just bad last season with this system but he had excuses. Even though i can't forget games like we lost to Aston Villa playing this way and managing 0 shots on target.

This season, we started well playing this way against Fulham who got trashed by everyone else then we scrapped an underserved win against West Ham before getting battered by Liverpool.

We have good offensive players. We should play higher and let them express themselves and trust Gabriel, Tierney to help solidify the defense. That's the real challenge for the coach. Playing 5 at the back and managing 5 shots per game won't get us Top 4. Too many decent teams this season... We gonna have to actually create something instead of just waiting every game.

Top Bottom