<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Non-Negotiator

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

What should the minimum target for this season?

1. Top 4 Finish

2. Europa League Win

3. A Realistic Top 4 Challenge

4. A Domestic Trophy

5. Getting the Team/Attack Clicking Irrespective of League Finish or Trophies

6. Give Him Until The End of The Season Regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RandomHero84

RandomHero84 Well-Known Member

I think we'll get top four. We are a little boring, but I'm hoping it's temporary. For years we've talked of needing a strong spine. He's gone out and got that. We have talked about getting the basics right, he's addressed all of this.

We might need patience here, but I think we are gonna beat a lot of teams this year. City at home really struggled with us in hindsight.

2. Finesse

Finesse Well-Known Member

Please can we stop this we are not letting in many goals as before as an excuse for our timid attack !

No one is denying we are now a better defensive unit and not leaking as before.

My issue is why are we working so hard to play from the back but not putting the same effort and diligence to play in the final third?

Can we honestly expect to play this way and finish in the CL spots?

Tourbillion likes this.
  3. MikelHadADream

MikelHadADream Well-Known Member

We lost away at City, it happens. We arguably had the two best chances in the game, you have to take them in games like that.

We have improved defensively, but it seems our only way of creating chances is playing out from the back and beating the press. We have to improve when we have the ball and the other teams sits back.

As it seems the other teams will be inconsistent again, the season will be dertmined on our consistency against the "lesser sides".

4. MikelHadADream

Do people really expect us to go to City and completely dominate the game? If one of Saka/Auba take their chances we'd have walked away with a (deserved) draw, fine margins.

roz likes this.
  5. Finesse

Finesse Well-Known Member

Dominate ? Not really. But why not aspire. We do not need to dominate them. We payed them too much respect. Period. We leave the game thinking we were good enough defensively but did not work harder or set up to create more.

What if City scored all their chances too. ?

This taking chances is what happened against Westham and Sheffield United. However we cannot expect this every week. We must work as a team to create more. I don’t understand why saying this make it sound like we don’t appreciate the progress or process.

6. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

I’ve not seen a single person say this.

From what I’m reading, the annoyance is with the mindset. City played in 3rd gear and have been leaking goals against teams with worse attacks than ours. This is not the same City of the past.

Yet at 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go we were still passing the ball sideways and backwards in our defensive third in fear of losing possession. We sacrificed a striking role for someone to man mark their DM.

It’s a strategy that works a treat, like you say, if we score first or take the 2 or 3 chances we create, but it is inherently more focused on limiting the opposition’s strengths than exploiting their weaknesses.

Seeing what teams with fewer attacking resources than us do to City shows it’s a mental thing. We’re overcompensating for past failures.

7. MikelHadADream

I get what you're saying but it was a close game, both teams had chances to score, its fine margins in games like this, especially away from home.

I agree we need to be better with the ball, our only way to create at the minute is to successfully play our from the back by beating the press. That won't cut it against teams that just sit back.

I want to see Arteta go with a back 4 from now on and get an extra player in the final third. Gabriel/Partey will ensure the team remains solid defensively.

Finesse likes this.
  8. MikelHadADream

I agree its a mental thing, we do lack conviction in games like this. But it was quite an even game imo, on another day we walk away with a draw.

This is our ponly way of creating at the minute, which is my concern about the team. We cant do anything on the counter attack or when we have the ball and the other team has dropped into their shape. We need to start moving away form the 343.

Big Poppa likes this.
  9. Big Poppa

I agree. My view is these games are a chance to make a statement. We know we can beat West Ham, Sheffield United and Fulham, but big results away from home are often the catalyst for a paradigm shift in confidence.

It currently feels like our approach is one of surviving as long as possible. I do think Partey will make a huge difference, but I’m losing faith in Arteta’s ideas for our forward line.

Finesse likes this.
  10. Ashybashy86

Ashybashy86 Well-Known Member

We were unlucky not to take a point, but with chances far and few between, we'll continue to struggle like this. Not always going to get away with it like against West Ham.

Hope to see a more attacking formation, and if we really have improved defensively by reverting to a back 4.

11. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

Feels like the forward 4/5 have been totally sacrificed for security. It's uninspiring and u just hope we can transition with Partey. Will we have to wait for a better CB next to Gabriel before we attack well?

krengon, Finesse and Big Poppa like this.
  12. Keplaz

Keplaz Well-Known Member

I think he's still figuring this out, without compromising defence. And it's a difficult balance. I just don't know why Auba has to be wide left for example. I was happy with yesterday's line up when I first saw it.

I thought Auba upfront, Willian and Pepe wide. But this false nine stuff... Never been a fan. Especially when you have one of the best finishers in the game. Arteta seems to know what he's doing with everything else. So I'm hoping he can figure this out too.

Big Poppa likes this.
  13. Tourbillion

Tourbillion Angry & Miserable

We have to be braver. We didn't even try to equalise. ****ing pathetic second half.

14. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

Eh? We had multiple good opportunities to score. Namely Saka and Auba being clean through and failing.

Any chance to moan though ay fella.

15. Tourbillion

I moan because I have standards for this club. We had nothing to lose by committing players forward in the latter stages.

krengon and Big Poppa like this.
  16. Big Poppa

I agree that he’s still figuring it out.

I guess he wants his number 9 to play deeper and block passing channels from defence into midfield while his wide attackers play like split forwards. I get it, but I feel it’s only necessary because we defend so deep due to lack of pace in midfield.

With Thomas we can play 10 yards more in the opposition half, our midfielders can press higher and our striker can sit on their last defender rather than first midfielder.

17. Tourbillion

People going on about those two opportunities we squandered. You have to be allowed to miss a couple of good chances - but for us they're life or death.

It is not sustainable.

18. Big Poppa

It’s worrying considering how many CBs we’ve signed since Kos left.

Partey will allow us to play more comfortably with a back 4. I think a midfield 3 of him, Ceballos and Xhaka has enough about it to win possession in the middle third and allow us to play more football near the opposition box.

The one that bugs me most is Aubameyang on left wing. It’s not that he plays there, it’s that he does all his best work around the edge of the box when fed the ball and we are adequately stocked on the left already.

Pep did it with Henry when he went to Barca and I remember him explaining it on MNF, but that team had Zlatan/Villa down the middle and a midfield 3 that dominated possession.

Anyhow, work in progress!

DanDare likes this.
  19. MikelHadADream

We have a massive issue at 9. Its even more of a problem in the 343 as we there is more importance on the forwards to create and score.

I get why he plays Auba on the left but I think we need to play him up top for a while.

20. MikelHadADream

Again, fine margins. You commit everyone forward to early and City pick you off and the game is finished. City also played well in the last 10 mins, they have world class players. Going away to these teams you have to take your chances when they're presented to you, we didn't.