• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Top Of The Klopps

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
A valid question. But Arteta’s in the perfect place to judge Saliba’s mentality and readiness by observing him in training. There’s also personal issues that have been an obstacle.

Why don’t West Ham sign him on loan?

We probably can't guarantee him the amount of football you'd be looking for him to get in a loan deal. Whole point of loaning him out would be to avoid a bit-part role, surely.

nick gould

The boy should relax and live a little. He is too serious. Who plays the whole first team in the first game of the Europa league. Now Mr David is injured. In that Europa league at one time we had 4 players playing central defence. The back 3 plus elneny.

The Saliba issue is a farce. Judging by the games under their belt, you would say Saliba is more ready than Fofana. And yet here we are, trying to send Saliba on loan to a championship club. Wenger played Mavrapanos is some league games until he received that red card. Wenger played a 19 year old Alex song in Central defence against Manchester United - not this Man U, the Fergie one. The thing about blooding youngsters is not happening under Arteta.

I know he has a winning mentality but man, the team is so so rigid. Zero entertainment. Through some caution to the wind, win with style. Or at least if we lose with some youngsters playing we can say we are building for the future. I liked you better as a coach. This manager thing, it makes you think about the finances as well. You end more in line with the owners than the fans. I had to vent.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
One thing that has infuriated me since the latter years of Wenger that has persisted through Emery, Ljunberg and now Arteta is the pitiful speed of our transition play leading to almost always playing against a set 10 behind the ball. It doesn't matter what level of football you are talking about, if you can attack defenders on the back foot you are always going to create more and better quality chances than to let them get their banks organized against you. There is absolutely no good reason for all this pissing about laterally with the players we have, especially in a match like today with a weakened Leicester there for the taking.

Every time Luiz dropped one over the top, there was at least the whiff of a chance. Instead of continuing along that route, we started going side to side and dithering as has been our downfall in matches where we dominated possession for the last 15 years. It's such a basic thing to force defenders onto the back foot because it not only challenges their ability to stay in front of the play but even their field of vision. Insane to me that nobody makes it a focus in attack.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
You lot keep banging on about these Saliba "Personal issues", if it was that bad he would have taken a leave, but he is still playing under 23 football and by all accounts states he is ready to play, think this is just a misjudgment by Arteta and a lack of man management experience,

your talking about a man who froze out Guendouzi in a pivotal part of the season thereby lessening his value in the transfer market not to mention the Özil situation, Ainsley Maitland niles last season this seems to be a pattern with Arteta.

Reactions: Kav

Manberg

Predator
One thing that has infuriated me since the latter years of Wenger that has persisted through Emery, Ljunberg and now Arteta is the pitiful speed of our transition play leading to almost always playing against a set 10 behind the ball. It doesn't matter what level of football you are talking about, if you can attack defenders on the back foot you are always going to create more and better quality chances than to let them get their banks organized against you. There is absolutely no good reason for all this pissing about laterally with the players we have, especially in a match like today with a weakened Leicester there for the taking.

Every time Luiz dropped one over the top, there was at least the whiff of a chance. Instead of continuing along that route, we started going side to side and dithering as has been our downfall in matches where we dominated possession for the last 15 years. It's such a basic thing to force defenders onto the back foot because it not only challenges their ability to stay in front of the play but even their field of vision. Insane to me that nobody makes it a focus in attack.

You make it sound so basic and you make Arteta, Wenger and Emery sound like basic managers for not thinking about it. Maybe it’s not as basic as you make it out to be?

Batman

You make it sound so basic and you make Arteta, Wenger and Emery sound like basic managers for not thinking about it. Maybe it’s not as basic as you make it out to be?
It is basic because Wenger is quoted on numerous occasions as lamenting it. It's precisely where the famous handbrake quote comes from and quite frankly any football manager who cannot see how attacking against an unsettled defense is better than attacking against a settled one probably doesn't belong in a job anywhere. It's also basic enough that Thierry Henry whose managerial career has been far from spectacular has pointed it out numerous times in his appraisal of our play.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

We’re in uncharted waters tbf.

If we’d have seen him manage other clubs we’d know whether he’s capable of a progressive style of play.

The problem is we see Guardiola football and assume it’d be more of the same. I’ve thought for a while with the way he sets up his teams he’s more of a Moyes disciple.

He’s spent the longest part of his football career with him above any other manager. It’s not a bad thing per se but it does remind me of peak Moyes era Everton as we’re very difficult to beat, very reliant on crosses and poor creating a lot from open play that isn’t a counter attack.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
We’re in uncharted waters tbf.

If we’d have seen him manage other clubs we’d know whether he’s capable of a progressive style of play.

The problem is we see Guardiola football and assume it’d be more of the same. I’ve thought for a while with the way he sets up his teams he’s more of a Moyes disciple.

He’s spent the longest part of his football career with him above any other manager. It’s not a bad thing per se but it does remind me of peak Moyes era Everton as we’re very difficult to beat, very reliant on crosses and poor creating a lot from open play that isn’t a counter attack.

Even Peak Moyes had better footballers than us...none of our midfielders are as good as Arteta, Pienaar or even Leon Osman from back then.

Feel our some of our terrible footballers will always cost us regardless who is in charge.

Manberg

Predator
It is basic because Wenger is quoted on numerous occasions as lamenting it. It's precisely where the famous handbrake quote comes from and quite frankly any football manager who cannot see how attacking against an unsettled defense is better than attacking against a settled one probably doesn't belong in a job anywhere. It's also basic enough that Thierry Henry whose managerial career has been far from spectacular has pointed it out numerous times in his appraisal of our play.

My point is that three highly knowledgable managers know very well about what you said. There must be valid reasons why it’s not happening in application.

Batman

My point is that three highly knowledgable managers know very well about what you said. There must be valid reasons why it’s not happening in application.
Yes, poor management. Notice 2 of the 3 managers listed were sacked and one is headed in that direction if this continues. This is not quantum physics here.

Manberg

Predator
Yes, poor management. Notice 2 of the 3 managers listed were sacked and one is headed in that direction if this continues. This is not quantum physics here.

I highly doubt Arteta goes to the team and tells them: “Let’s make our attacks slow guys. Slow transitions and slow attacks unsettles the opposition, fast attacks are wasted”.
:lol:

Batman

I highly doubt Arteta goes to the team and tells them: “Let’s make our attacks slow guys. Slow transitions and slow attacks unsettles the opposition, fast attacks are wasted”.
:lol:
It doesn't matter what he says so much as what they do now does it? Management is not about what you say in training, it's about what happens on the field as a result of that. If you cannot get the players to do what you want then you aren't doing a good job. I like Arteta and I want him to be successful. That doesn't mean he gets a pass for some piss poor decisions and tactics of late.

Manberg

Predator
It doesn't matter what he says so much as what they do now does it? Management is not about what you say in training, it's about what happens on the field as a result of that. If you cannot get the players to do what you want then you aren't doing a good job. I like Arteta and I want him to be successful. That doesn't mean he gets a pass for some piss poor decisions and tactics of late.

If players aren’t capable of fast attacking transitions then that’s on the players. You can’t polish a turd. You said it’s persisted throughout 3 managers but it’s largely the same group of players.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

The tactics will improve. I have faith that Arteta can turn this around. The only mistake so far was not binning Leno and keeping Martinez.

We are still lacking in certain areas but when Özil is gone we will hopefully have money to find partner for Gabriel, a midfielder with Partey and new striker.
But 10 months we seen nothing that indicates his football will get better. If arteta was not former player, young, charismatic and worked with pep people would turn on him. A lot of this is based on what we hope he is rather than what he shown. If he was middle of the road Spanish coach with weird accent we would want him out. I just don’t get where this attacking football from Arteta will suddenly come from

Batman

If players aren’t capable of fast attacking transitions then that’s on the players. You can’t polish a turd. You said it’s persisted throughout 3 managers but it’s largely the same group of players.
They are capable of it though. That's the point. You can see it occurring under each of the aforementioned managers but it is not being done consistently enough. A manager's job is to get consistent performances out of his players. Nobody is saying he's been given Zidane and Vieira in the engine room. He's managed to make them tougher to break down than they have been for years but that doesn't excuse being ponderous in possession. Just as you can drill playing out from the back so too can you drill transitioning quickly to increase your attacking efficiency. One is on display to mixed results and the other is not. That's management.

Reactions: Kav

But 10 months we seen nothing that indicates his football will get better. If arteta was not former player, young, charismatic and worked with pep people would turn on him. A lot of this is based on what we hope he is rather than what he shown. If he was middle of the road Spanish coach with weird accent we would want him out. I just don’t get where this attacking football from Arteta will suddenly come from

I think he took over a terrible squad, and the climate is not good at the moment around football. He still got us FA Cup and community shield. There are good points.

I think we need to show faith and trust the process. We will get better.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom