<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Non-Negotiator

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

What should the minimum target for this season?

1. Top 4 Finish

2. Europa League Win

3. A Realistic Top 4 Challenge

4. A Domestic Trophy

5. Getting the Team/Attack Clicking Irrespective of League Finish or Trophies

6. Give Him Until The End of The Season Regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Wrighty4eva

Wrighty4eva Well-Known Member

Mans talking about a peak welbeck you know :lol::lol::lol::rofl:

James Bond, Ashybashy86 and Fewtch like this.
  2. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

You can laugh...but at least Danny is/was an impressive athlete, significant upgrade on Laca from that alone.

3. Manberg

Manberg Predator

A striker, a right winger and a midfielder are of the utmost importance in my opinion. Arteta needs his own attack. Not the flops of his predecessors.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  4. KrissKringle

KrissKringle Well-Known Member

I was thinking about all the talk that he wants the team to play a certain way, do this and that, but all I see is a Tony Pulis copycat.
    Sure, he worked out the defense to a degree, but going forward we're at an all time low.

Kav likes this.
  5. Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility

Ozil'sCloakOfInvisibility Not a Closet Spurs Fan

Clive speaking sense once again. We need to stop our reliance on Xhaka for our build-up. Arteta has to stop shifting Auba around, I think he's starting to not give an arse about it.

Pop Tart likes this.
  6. stiiphunn

stiiphunn Well-Known Member Trusted

Bottom line is we’re just not very good. Arteta comes across as smart, and communicates well, but I have failed to see a material impact since he has joined. He has lifted the club with his words but our football is still relatively poor. Let’s see what happens in the next few months.

krengon likes this.
  7. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

Artetas 2 signings from our 1st 11.

Partey
    Gabriel

Are we happy with them?

Have a bit of patience.

Laca
    Pépé

Dross.

1 transfer window and 2 excellent 1st team signings.

The forward players will come.

Give him at least 3 transfer windows like most managers get.

sdotzdot and Manberg like this.
  8. Manberg

Manberg Predator

Imagine Arteta got his funding and his pick of attacking players to bring in like Lampard has? If Arteta had that kind of backing we’d be challenging for the league. Instead he’s trying to make the most of the dross he has. Can anyone blame him because things aren’t going so smooth so soon in his managerial career?

sdotzdot, GDeep™ and DUFFMAN like this.
  9. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

Great post

10. Dokaka

Dokaka AM's resident Hammer

First big question I have with Arteta is the Saliba situation.

Gabriel: 3000 minutes of Ligue 1 experience = Instant starter.

Saliba: 2300 minutes of Ligue 1 experience = needs a loan.

Now, this wouldn't be a big deal if it wasn't for the fact that you still have Mustafi getting minutes, a player who is by all accounts not good enough. I get that Saliba is young, but no one is asking for him to be a guaranteed starter, but you have a lot of football to play this season and there would be a lot of minutes for him across competitions.

I don't get it.

11. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

Lot more personal issues with Saliba.
    Google it

12. Manberg

Manberg Predator

A valid question. But Arteta’s in the perfect place to judge Saliba’s mentality and readiness by observing him in training. There’s also personal issues that have been an obstacle.

Why don’t West Ham sign him on loan?

13. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

Leicester best city 5-2 this season.

What's easier to take?

14. Dokaka

Dokaka AM's resident Hammer

We probably can't guarantee him the amount of football you'd be looking for him to get in a loan deal. Whole point of loaning him out would be to avoid a bit-part role, surely.

15. nick gould

nick gould Well-Known Member

The boy should relax and live a little. He is too serious. Who plays the whole first team in the first game of the Europa league. Now Mr David is injured. In that Europa league at one time we had 4 players playing central defence. The back 3 plus elneny.

The Saliba issue is a farce. Judging by the games under their belt, you would say Saliba is more ready than Fofana. And yet here we are, trying to send Saliba on loan to a championship club. Wenger played Mavrapanos is some league games until he received that red card. Wenger played a 19 year old Alex song in Central defence against Manchester United - not this Man U, the Fergie one. The thing about blooding youngsters is not happening under Arteta.

I know he has a winning mentality but man, the team is so so rigid. Zero entertainment. Through some caution to the wind, win with style. Or at least if we lose with some youngsters playing we can say we are building for the future. I liked you better as a coach. This manager thing, it makes you think about the finances as well. You end more in line with the owners than the fans. I had to vent.

16. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

One thing that has infuriated me since the latter years of Wenger that has persisted through Emery, Ljunberg and now Arteta is the pitiful speed of our transition play leading to almost always playing against a set 10 behind the ball. It doesn't matter what level of football you are talking about, if you can attack defenders on the back foot you are always going to create more and better quality chances than to let them get their banks organized against you. There is absolutely no good reason for all this pissing about laterally with the players we have, especially in a match like today with a weakened Leicester there for the taking.

Every time Luiz dropped one over the top, there was at least the whiff of a chance. Instead of continuing along that route, we started going side to side and dithering as has been our downfall in matches where we dominated possession for the last 15 years. It's such a basic thing to force defenders onto the back foot because it not only challenges their ability to stay in front of the play but even their field of vision. Insane to me that nobody makes it a focus in attack.

tcahill likes this.
  17. Wrighty4eva

Wrighty4eva Well-Known Member

You lot keep banging on about these Saliba "Personal issues", if it was that bad he would have taken a leave, but he is still playing under 23 football and by all accounts states he is ready to play, think this is just a misjudgment by Arteta and a lack of man management experience,

your talking about a man who froze out Guendouzi in a pivotal part of the season thereby lessening his value in the transfer market not to mention the Özil situation, Ainsley Maitland niles last season this seems to be a pattern with Arteta.

Kav likes this.
  18. Manberg

Manberg Predator

You make it sound so basic and you make Arteta, Wenger and Emery sound like basic managers for not thinking about it. Maybe it’s not as basic as you make it out to be?

19. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

It is basic because Wenger is quoted on numerous occasions as lamenting it. It's precisely where the famous handbrake quote comes from and quite frankly any football manager who cannot see how attacking against an unsettled defense is better than attacking against a settled one probably doesn't belong in a job anywhere. It's also basic enough that Thierry Henry whose managerial career has been far from spectacular has pointed it out numerous times in his appraisal of our play.

20. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

We’re in uncharted waters tbf.

If we’d have seen him manage other clubs we’d know whether he’s capable of a progressive style of play.

The problem is we see Guardiola football and assume it’d be more of the same. I’ve thought for a while with the way he sets up his teams he’s more of a Moyes disciple.

He’s spent the longest part of his football career with him above any other manager. It’s not a bad thing per se but it does remind me of peak Moyes era Everton as we’re very difficult to beat, very reliant on crosses and poor creating a lot from open play that isn’t a counter attack.

Gooner416, Preacher, field442 and 6 others like this.