<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Non-Negotiator

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

What should the minimum target for this season?

1. Top 4 Finish

2. Europa League Win

3. A Realistic Top 4 Challenge

4. A Domestic Trophy

5. Getting the Team/Attack Clicking Irrespective of League Finish or Trophies

6. Give Him Until The End of The Season Regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Not necessarily good or bad, more so a midfielder playing wide on one side and a more direct forward type on the other side is very Wenger-esque. (Examples Alexis left/Ramsey right or Cazorla left/Walcott right). But like you said Wenger didn't have a Partey type in midfield which would have aided a lot and in general we all saw the flaws in all of Wengers sides. Balance is of course the most important thing now. We used to suffer committing too many forward, now we seem to be constantly playing with a bit of caution to our game. We need balance.

James McAuley likes this.
  2. Manberg

Manberg Predator

I recall his goal getting us a point against Sp**s. Overall I remember him having a series of very good games.

3. Toby Andrl

Toby Andrl Part Time Stuttgart Fan Trusted

He did have a pretty good 18/19 until injury.

American_Gooner likes this.
  4. DanDare

DanDare Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief

The way we played was wrong but not sure how Arteta can succeed when he has players like Xhaka and Mustafi on the pitch. He needs to be brave and drop Xhaka and Mustafi

Look at their positions FFS

[​IMG]

5. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Established Member

Play the superstars in their right positions. Fill the 5 attacking channels with attackers not full backs.

Auba, Pepe, Partey, Gabriel, Tierney, Saka and one of Willian/Esr/Nelson should be the the first names on the team sheet. Invert one full back and allow Pepe to move infield to get closer to Auba. If you are scared of the counter play the fullback who can pocket Zaha and have him sprinting back and inverting seeing as he is comfortable doing it.

Stop rewarding our limited players because they ****ing train hard.

Saka------Auba----Pepe
    -----------Willian
    --------Partey---Elneny
    Tierney---------------AMN
    ----------Gabriel-Luiz
    ----------------Leno

tap-in, GoonerJay24, Dutch D and 2 others like this.
  6. GunnerShy

GunnerShy Well-Known Member

Thought the first half was really good. In classic Barclays fashion, if you waste possession it will come back to haunt you.

That said, Mikel needs to get the midfield playing through the lines better. Cannot rely on Luiz opening them up from centreback.

There is no chemistry between the midfield and front three. No midfielder pushing beyond the forwards either. Need more dynamism. At the moment it's all looking very much like we just look for a Luiz long ball or overlapping full backs

7. L3T5 PL4Y

L3T5 PL4Y Flair Accuser

That and that!

8. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

For a guy who has very little managerial experience, I do find it ironic at how little he seems to trust his least experienced players. Apart from Saka and Nketiah, who is he willing to give time to develop? He came into this job knowing full well about our resources and our direction to use youth so you can’t waste them. Arteta can send them out on loan, sell them, or use them but hoarding players you have no use for is financially irresponsible, especially in this climate.
    Look I’m not saying the youth will save us but they can provide us with much needed competition or funds. Saka is being run to the ground, Willian and Pepe are both inconsistent and Auba should be central. Would a Nelson or ESR be such a problem?

9. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

Sp**s putting on a master attacking display.

Should have hired Mourinho.

10. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

For the love of God, build your team around your best players and not the losers who need their hands held.
    Saka
    Auba
    Partey
    Tierney
    Gabriel
    AMN
    Leno
    These are the few players who I consider as CL level players at varying levels. Obviously, AMN probably won’t be starting for a club like Bayern but he’s probably better than whatever LPSG or Shakhtar have there.

XXX-Auba-XXX
    Saka-Partey-XXX
    Tierney-Gabriel-Luiz-AMN
    Leno.
    So, RW, LW, RCM are the problem areas. Move away from the likes of Xhaka, Mustafi, Willian etc.

11. boonthegoon

boonthegoon Well-Known Member

Is this sarcasm? Sp**s have only 1 shot and that too off target. Burnley have had better chances to score.

12. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

It is

13. The_Playmaker

The_Playmaker Established Member

I just think it's too much for the players at the moment. Think about Tierney. He needs to play as a lcb when we don't have the ball, during build up he is a lb and when we have sustained possession he has to move into a left wing position. He is tired because he is being asked to play 3 positions. At lb you go up and down. He is currently being asked to move across as well as up and down. While taking all of the movement information on board he then needs to think about what he does when he gets the ball.

We need to get to the point where players know each other. How does Bellerin know when to overlap with Pepe or where he wants the ball if he doesn't play wit him?

GypRosetti, truth_hurts and DanDare like this.
  14. Rex Banter

Rex Banter Got Swerved By Gallas Trusted

I had a look at the average positions on the pitch of the players and it was a myth that we played 4-3-3.

It was still the exact same set up as it’s been all season. Xhaka played in the LCB position and Tierney went LWB.

I really f*cking hate the 5 atb because it leaves us short in midfield time and again in supporting the striker.

It’s the same problem we had under Emery, if you set up with a low block then your strikers are miles apart from your midfield and if they’re in a two then there’s no freedom to try and get up and support them.

15. Oh_Snap

Oh_Snap Well-Known Member

yikes

edit: sorry didnt see it has already been posted

16. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

the ultimate formation will be 3 right backs and 3 left backs.

Playing LCB, LWB and LWF and RCB, RWB and RWF with one CB, two DMs and one lone striker. Thats Artetaball

DanDare likes this.
  17. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

To think I slaughtered Emery for this crap. I was so wrong. :facepalm:

18. Oh_Snap

Oh_Snap Well-Known Member

tbf we were extremly lucky in the first month with emery, so many games were we should've drawed or lose. still, expected more from MA. even the GD is worse than under emery.

19. Kav

Kav Well-Known Member

Even so he did go on a 22match unbeaten run, that was not all down to luck. He did some good things but yes we were lucky a few times. Emery's problem was communication and he couldn't get the team organized. We were disjointed. All that being said we were doing better under Emery with worse players than Arteta who has a better squad including Willian, Partey and Gabriel at his disposal.

Arteta needs to let go of his ego and allow the players to just play naturally.

20. GoonerJay24

GoonerJay24 Well-Known Member

Emery had Özil, Mkhitharian, Ramsey, Iwobi alongside leaders like Koscielny and Montreal in the squad.