<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Non-Negotiator

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

What should the minimum target for this season?

1. Top 4 Finish

2. Europa League Win

3. A Realistic Top 4 Challenge

4. A Domestic Trophy

5. Getting the Team/Attack Clicking Irrespective of League Finish or Trophies

6. Give Him Until The End of The Season Regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

One thing that I will give Arteta is that the players seem to believe in him and that has to count for something.

2. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Arséne Wenger once said "I will miss you"

Fans getting on Arteta's back is beyond absurd. He saw how bat sh!t angry the fans got with an attacking flare manager.

He has the same problem Wenger had, a squad investment of no more than 5th in the league, so he's playing it super cautious and why wouldn't he.

3. Maybe

Maybe Well-Known Member

That only lasts for some time, after a couple of poor results, they will turn against him.
    I can already imagine Pepe having questions, Auba will start to ask who is gonna create some chances for him, and some other players can't catch any consistency with constant changes, which never ends up in happiness.

He really needs to stop copying Pep... we don't have the resources for that and it's not like Pep is doing great at City, and he already managed to block them from winning the CL with his stupidity

truth_hurts likes this.
  4. squallman

squallman Still Pining for Wenger

For all the talk of us sacking him or whatever, has anyone here ever considered the notion that Arteta might leave us?

The days of Wenger type loyalty are long gone. Arteta took a paycut to join us in his playing days, then after we paid him for a year to sit around the training room he went to become Guardiola's assistant because that was best for him.

The club should be putting a structure in place that any coach can seamlessly slot into. If we don't have a plan for when Arteta leaves or if he leaves in the near future then we're more short sighted than I thought.

Anyone that thinks Arteta won't entertain the thought of taking over City after Guardiola leaves or managing his boyhood club is fooling themselves.

5. squallman

squallman Still Pining for Wenger

Those charlatans? I don't mean that only our lot are charlatans but all footballers are.

Footballers and managers have this weird symbiotic relationship where both parties know that the other can turn on them in an instant but in the present they need to show camaraderie and be on the same page in order to be successful.

The players will "believe" in Arteta the same way they believed in Emery and the same way Madrid players believe in every manager when they walk through the door. They'll believe until the wind blows the other direction and then they'll twist the knife in to secure their own future.

I don't particularly blame them tbh because that sword cuts both ways. When they're flying high, the manager will pick them for every game and twice on Sundays. But when their levels drop, well we all know the story.

truth_hurts and <<reed>> like this.
  6. Gunners1616

Gunners1616 Well-Known Member

What a load of lame excuses. He is speaking like he took the decision to exclude Saliba last year when it was just fews weeks ago. He clearly knew Mustafi, Mari and Chambers were all injured but he picked them all over Saliba who's fit and ready to play.

And now apparently he has to learn the langage and our "physicality", as if he never played pro football before. Gabriel played directly without speaking any english. He can speak portugese with Luiz but Saliba could also speak french with Luiz and even Arteta, juste like Pépé.

Some sorry *ss excuses and now he says he feel bad for him.

7. Breezy

Breezy Well-Known Member

The problem is he’s also playing overly cautious against sides with a far lower squad investment than ours.

Raicore likes this.
  8. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

If you think the hoofball he's playing is copying Pep then it's not his stupidity at play. We could also do worse than the 2 highest point totals in PL history. Pep is overrated but let's not be ridiculous.

9. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

And Pep did it all on a shoestring budget, with a small group of players that everyone had written off before Guardiola got there...what a manager, always does it with an underdog team...amazing :drool:

Makingtrax likes this.
  10. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

I said that Klopp (and Pochettino for that matter) performed at a similar level to Emery in their first dozen or so matches, but people made a million excuses for them but refused to give Emery similar allowances. Those were examples to show that even the very best managers don't have it all their own way initially.
    Winning an FA Cup in those circumstances is very impressive, especially considering the mess he inherited. To win a trophy beating City and Chelsea along the way having only been in the job for months deserves credit.

Macho, El Duderino and Riou like this.
  11. Trilly

Trilly The John Sauce Of Ilford Trusted

Yeah dunno wtf he's talking about we have five goalkeepers in our Europa squad as reed pointed out.

I'd rather he shutup than give excuses that don't make sense.

Raicore likes this.
  12. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

Most of the goalkeepers are from the b list though right?

Just seems like he rates the other cb options higher currently.

edit:

yeah he pretty much confirms it here.

13. Red London

Red London Well-Known Member

Arteta getting a lot of quite heavy stick. Quicker than Emery got even though Arteta won us a trophy.

We need to stay patient for now, even if we lose against United. Let’s see how he bounces back from it and if he changes his approach.

blaze_of_glory likes this.
  14. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

Don't really that's an excuse tbh, it makes perfect sense. He isn't playing because Arteta doesn't think he's at the level of fitness/physicality needed to play.

They have metrics to judge that so we will never know but it makes more sense than people saying it's to protect him from online trolls lmao.

Macho likes this.
  15. Gegen Pressing

Gegen Pressing Well-Known Member

This last call to Arsène leaked:

Mikel "Hello Arsène, had this Eureka moment. "

Wenger "park the bus with handbrake, seatbelt and empty- tank sign on?"

Mikel "seriously, I relegate the tk-tk in defense to training only. We shift focus to opposition goal. "

Wenger "Wengerball? "

Mikel "yeah, but with less Pep ..."

16. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

I was right then.

Not quite as much credit as he got, imo.

At any rate, I'm not knocking him yet, nor am I praising him, not yet. I'll decide at the end of the season.

17. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

He really ought to stop speaking to the press so much. One line answers from now on, Teta, there's a good man.

18. TakeChillPill

TakeChillPill Well-Known Member

People need to chill with arteta. Judge him after 2 years...this is a long term project, he IS one of the best young coaches in the world. He's beaten pep and klopp with a second rate team.

We have the most unbalanced sqaud in league. 8 CBs with only one that would get in to a top 4 team.

A midfield of 4-5 players where only one player would get in a top 4 team.

And there cfs where only one is quality.

We are ****...others have gotten stronger and stronger.

We need to be a realistic fan base, only way we're going to win any titles is with a top coach considering the limited resources and financial power we have.

Arteta is the best manager we could've hoped for in that context and he's already proven successful with a couple of trophies.

He's young and like martinelli as a player he as a coach is going to make mistakes, but the talent is no doubt there. The only thing that can mess arteta up is our stupid fan base constantly focusing on the negative rather than the huge positives he's achieved....this forum is slowly turning in to RAWK.

Even when klopp came to Liverpool he had a long managerial career and had ironed out his mistakes. Arteta is going to make more, but let's recognise we've got an amazing coach on our hands who's done more in six months and half the resources compared to ole and lampard.

19. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member Trusted

People feel like they got hoodwinked that’s why.

They thought they were getting Pep lite, a young attacking manager starting kids every week.

Instead we got struggle ball with bleep test ideologies and people are shocked and outraged. Every signing from here on out over 6ft tall minimum.

Özil, that sissy way of thinking and living of the past, all in the mud I love it. More power to him, I hope Arteta drags everyone kicking and screaming to glory.

20. Riou

Riou Non-Stop Nostalgia

George Graham smiling down from heaven!

Red London, Gegen Pressing and Macho like this.