<

Mikel Arteta: Serial Non-Negotiator

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by OnlyOne, Dec 20, 2019.

?

What should the minimum target for this season?

1. Top 4 Finish

2. Europa League Win

3. A Realistic Top 4 Challenge

4. A Domestic Trophy

5. Getting the Team/Attack Clicking Irrespective of League Finish or Trophies

6. Give Him Until The End of The Season Regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. krackpot

krackpot Established Member

He probably had very little choice anyway. Also, not havig Özil has contributed a lot to Willian's bad performances.

But would you play Wliian over Pepe, though?

2. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

I've not seen a lot from Pepe to warrant him starting in recent times tbh. Personally I'd go with Willian-Auba-Pepe but I'm not a manager. Also Willian is a different profile of player to Pepe in any case so in a tactical sense you'd have different reasons for playing either player. Pepe is purely end product, Willian is a bit more involved in the phase before you get to the final pass or the shot.

3. HairSprayGooners

HairSprayGooners Al Jazeera Correspondent

Auba obviously. Willian - Auba - Pepe would be fine for example. But the rest of the team Arteta is picking well. You cant deny that...

4. 14Henry

14Henry Well-Known Member

So your saying that you think Arteta is playing Auba in the wrong position?

5. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Yet we brought Mkhitaryan under Wenger........... and it is debatable if Mkhitaryan is ever a better player than Willian.

6. HairSprayGooners

I dont think hes playing him in the wrong position I just think Lacazette and Eddie are both abysmal for Arsenal. So naturally you must play Auba CF. Which then naturally allows Pepe to play.

7. krackpot

krackpot Established Member

he was forced onto us. He had a stellar record just a season ago with Dortmund.

Flamini was not a complete dud. He was barely 30 years when he returned IIRC. He started every game basically until his last season with us. Even then he scored against Sp**s.

Arteta had converted to a DM by that time, and speed wasn't really his thing.

Reiss Nelson was starting regularly for Wenger before his loan. Even Frimpong played a fair few games.

In short, Wenger used the players he had. Which is where i am concerned about Arteta.

Pepe has scored, Willian hasn't. If you can give Willian 7 -8 starts in the first team, I would think Nelson deserves at least 1.

By your own comparison, Willian role is to mentor the young guys, and occasionally start.

I am not trying to bash Arteta, but you cannot ignore so many clear indications that the selections and formations have not been helping the team.

8. 14Henry

I would play Auba striker but Arteta looks too proud to change. I think he will go Auba Laca and Pepe. I want to put Auba through the middle.

Also I dont see how Arteta can choose Willian today. He basically went on holiday during a pandemic which is stupid. Theres no genuine reason why he goes to Dubai othet than to have fun. Not professional in my opinion.

9. HairSprayGooners

Or relax in a warm country...?

10. 14Henry

In the middle of a pandemic given the risks? Unprofessional if you ask me but no doubt you disagree.

11. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Willian had a stellar record just a season ago at Chelsea too and yet that didn't stop you from crying about him........ why the double standards?

12. Blood on the Tracks

Blood on the Tracks Well-Known Member

I don't think Emery was ever going to be suitable for the Premier League and his communications skills were obviously an issue to some degree but he's a good manager for a Spanish club and a decent guy.

The way the media and supposedly elements of the squad made fun of his English language skills was a disgrace as far as I'm concerned.

Fans were as bad. Spanish people struggling to pronounce the letter V in English shouldn't be funny to anyone over 5 years of age.

Takes a lot of guts to come out and do press briefings in a language you're only just learning. I wouldn't have the balls to do it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    GDeep™, 14Henry and <<reed>> like this.
  13. HairSprayGooners

By that logic you disagree with European games being played and internationals being played? Auba goes away with Gabon on international duty, Willian goes to Dubai as he isnt involved with Brazil. Tell me the difference? I'd understand if it was a random one off thing during the season but its not. And Dubai is of course one of the safer places atm.

14. 14Henry

One is going away on necessary travel. One is going away to enjoy themselves. Completely different.

15. HairSprayGooners

But in the grand scheme of things whats the problem if Dubai has no restrictions when you come back to the UK?

16. 14Henry

Because it is not necessary. By going to airports and restaurants full of people you increase the risk. Can he not relax in his own house with a steak?

Basically he though **** CV I'm rich I'm going to go on holiday. I'm not gonna sit at home bored. Poor attitude

krackpot likes this.
  17. Blood on the Tracks

If William felt there we extenuating circumstances for going to Dubai for whatever reason that's fine, but he should have pleaded his case with Arteta / the club to get authorisation for the trip first.

He should be punished in some form in my opinion. On the surface level it seems a very selfish thing to do.

krackpot, American_Gooner and 14Henry like this.
  18. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Disrespectful too, to the manager, Edu, other players etc. Other players have been punished because they supposedly haven’t brought into the Arteta culture - Özil for not accepting the pay cut, Guendouzi for not apologising etc, this is as bad.

19. Blood on the Tracks

I agree, unless it was a last minute dash to see a dying relative or something there's no excuse for it.

GDeep™ likes this.
  20. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

For what it's worth, Willian posted a promo on IG about the game and players usually only do that when they're starting.